LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:17 pm 

Ok.. Odd problem: I've a '95 S-10 Blazer. The Idle's really rough, and it took me a while to find the problem. After ab extensive search for a vacuum leak (including the starting fluid trick), new plugs, New PCV, New EGR, and finally new plug wires, the Idle's no better. I finally took it out back and looked at it under low light. It's a 4.3 Vortec V6 and Number 4 and number 5 Cyl. Plugs are grounding to the exhaust manifold heat shield. I've tested the plug and wires for tightness, made double sure I've got the right plugs.. Ummm.. Anyhow.. I'm lost, it's still grounding out, I can see it, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to stop it.
Any help? I'm begging.. LOL thanks :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Is it arching(?) from the boot?? Maybe try puttin some vaseline inside the boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:16 pm 

Yeah, looks like the arc is coming out from under the boot. I bought the set that were pre-lubricated, but I will definately try that.. I'm to the point that I'm about ready to tear my hair out lol. I was going to remove the heat sheilds to increase the distance that the arc would have to travel and try to convince it not to make the trip, but those sheilds were put there for a reason. Kinda leary about taking them off even though most people do. I figure, if GM paid to put them on, they must have a purpose, right? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

how old are the spark plug wires?
Sounds like they may be the originals.
if so, replace them.
Your old spark plug wires may have gotten a little brittle, and you may have small cracks in the wires.
If you replace the wires, you shouldn't have anymore problems.
hope this was helpful.

holy crap! I read where you said you already purcahsed new ones......did you get the "cheap" ones?????
if so.......that is why you don't get the cheap ones.
and if you got expensive ones, I would take them back.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:17 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I know you said you bought new plugs but they could be faulty. if they are they could be leaking between the porcelin and the metal part where your socket goes on. I just read about it in one of my spark plug books the other day and i forget what it`s called. I will have to look it up again. try this take out 4 and 5 swap them with 2 plugs on the other bank. if your problem moves to that side its the plugs. if not keep looking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:13 pm 

Thanks for your help guys. Yeah, I got cheap wires. Other things have come up as of recently, so that's been pushed to the background. As soon as I can afford the forty bucks for the decent wires (AC Delco) I'll switch them out and hope for the best. If it's the plugs, then I've got real bad luck, I replaced the plugs on both cyl and it's still giving me the same problem. Some lady at Autozone told me that the model of Blazer that I own should have come with steel protector sleeves that encompassed the plug and wire at the block. But everyone else I talked to said that she's insane and it even sounds funny to me. If it's grounding to the heat shield, wouldn't bringing metal closer to the wire make it worse? I mean the sleeve itself could be insulated but.. I digress... Anyway. I'm still working on it :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:34 pm 
LUVTruck.com's Cornholio

I would take the heat sheilds off. All they do is just hold the heat in more. I see a lot of those ramhorn exhaust manifolds crack because of those heat sheilds.