LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:34 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:33 pm
Posts: 24
Hey y'all. Looking for some insight on my trans rebuild. I recently took my trans to a reputable trans shop in the area, everyone told me that they can rebuild anything, and at first they were like " yea, sure, bring it on by". But, after all, they said they couldn't do anything with it due to unavailability of parts. To me that means that if that were true nobody would be able to rebuild it for me. I've looked for rebuild kits and couldn't find anything either. Has anyone here rebuilt there 4x4 4 speed trans, or had someone else do it? Are there parts available somewhere? I also need the shifter bushings circled in the attached pic. Any help on this is much appreciated. Thanks for reading.


Attachments:
20200412_134611.jpg
20200412_134611.jpg [ 166.86 KiB | Viewed 2339 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:06 am 
Offline
Addicted to LUV
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 2941
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Solorado1 wrote:
Hey y'all. Looking for some insight on my trans rebuild. I recently took my trans to a reputable trans shop in the area, everyone told me that they can rebuild anything, and at first they were like " yea, sure, bring it on by". But, after all, they said they couldn't do anything with it due to unavailability of parts. To me that means that if that were true nobody would be able to rebuild it for me. I've looked for rebuild kits and couldn't find anything either. Has anyone here rebuilt there 4x4 4 speed trans, or had someone else do it? Are there parts available somewhere? I also need the shifter bushings circled in the attached pic. Any help on this is much appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Not gonna be from any US sources... There may be some kits available on the asian market or MAYBE australia. If you can find someone who can navigate those sites.

_________________
Luvless :(
1980 Mikado-Sold.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:04 pm 
Offline
Addicted to LUV

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:48 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Whittier, (So). Cal.
That's not good news for me. Mine needs a rear bearing and I was going to have my spare rebuilt and just swap it out. :(

_________________
OK, I'm over it. Where's the beer? 8)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:19 pm 
Offline
Addicted to LUV
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 2941
Location: Vancouver, Washington
rondog wrote:
That's not good news for me. Mine needs a rear bearing and I was going to have my spare rebuilt and just swap it out. :(

Get measurements on the bearing and see if you can find a suitable replacement off size

_________________
Luvless :(
1980 Mikado-Sold.

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:53 pm 
Offline
Addicted to LUV

Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: Auburn, CA
Good thread. I have the Trooper 5 speed in my LUV, but it does have a noisy bearing while in 5th gear.
Are the parts hard to find as well for the Trooper transmission?

_________________
1980 Luv 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny.

Image

"When all else fails, follow the directions".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:44 am 
Offline
Addicted to LUV
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:54 am
Posts: 1606
Location: Germantown, TN (right next to ElvisTown)
Zane wrote:
Good thread. I have the Trooper 5 speed in my LUV, but it does have a noisy bearing while in 5th gear.
Are the parts hard to find as well for the Trooper transmission?

Which Trooper transmission do you have?

Jack

_________________
'83 Isuzu P'up Diesel LS - Original Owner
JoeIsuzu@IsuzuPup.com
IsuzuPup.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm 
Offline
Addicted to LUV

Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: Auburn, CA
JoeIsuzu wrote:
Zane wrote:
Good thread. I have the Trooper 5 speed in my LUV, but it does have a noisy bearing while in 5th gear.
Are the parts hard to find as well for the Trooper transmission?

Which Trooper transmission do you have?

Jack


I got the Trooper off this unit:
I think it was an 84 or 85 Trooper.
2.3 Liter
Engine Family:
Gsz138t2dgx

_________________
1980 Luv 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny.

Image

"When all else fails, follow the directions".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:13 pm 
Offline
Addicted to LUV
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:54 am
Posts: 1606
Location: Germantown, TN (right next to ElvisTown)
rondog wrote:
That's not good news for me. Mine needs a rear bearing and I was going to have my spare rebuilt and just swap it out. :(
I run an '89 Impulse transmission in my P'up. When I got the transmission, it had one bearing that felt gritty when I turned it. My transmission shop was able to match it up to some Timken or other readily available bearing. Exactly as luv4theluv said.

Zane wrote:
I got the Trooper off this unit:
I think it was an 84 or 85 Trooper.
2.3 Liter
Engine Family:
Gsz138t2dgx
For what it's worth, if it's a 5-speed, it had to have come from an '86 or '87. Any 4wd before '86 was 4-speed. it should be an MSG5T.

Jack

_________________
'83 Isuzu P'up Diesel LS - Original Owner
JoeIsuzu@IsuzuPup.com
IsuzuPup.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:06 pm 
Offline
Addicted to LUV

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:48 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Whittier, (So). Cal.
I have a spare 4x4 transmission. I'll just have it rebuilt/gone through and R&R it. Hopefully whatever parts are needed will be available.

_________________
OK, I'm over it. Where's the beer? 8)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:24 am 
Offline
Addicted to LUV

Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:22 pm
Posts: 1271
Location: Auburn, CA
rondog wrote:
I have a spare 4x4 transmission. I'll just have it rebuilt/gone through and R&R it. Hopefully whatever parts are needed will be available.


I 'll have to talk to a shop, but I think there's a good chance they could find the parts needed.

_________________
1980 Luv 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny.

Image

"When all else fails, follow the directions".


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 Trans Rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:47 am 
Offline
Addicted to LUV

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:48 pm
Posts: 6276
Location: Whittier, (So). Cal.
I've been recommended a shop near me, but have not called yet.

_________________
OK, I'm over it. Where's the beer? 8)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group