LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Need more power!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:31 pm 
hello group,just joined and im shocked to death.didnt know their was so many luv owners lol.anyways i have a 79 4x4 stock engine.what is something i can do for extra horsepower or an engine swap that will hook up to my tranny.thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:34 pm 
i would guess 2.4L from a trooper, or if u wanna go hardcore a 350 with a blazer tranny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:27 pm 
know what yrs to look for.and ty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

so you live in the holeinthewall tennessee? where the heck is that?
hehe
welcome to the board!

autofab used to make a kit for 4X4's. it was to fit a mercury capri V6 to the stock tranny.....with an adapter.....
I don't think autofab still does this, but I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

On the stock motor, you can drop in a few items to get a bit more from it. K&N air filter to help it breathe in, and a header to help it breathe out. A Wweber 32/36 carb is a nice little HP boost, and goes well with a header. I think there are a couple of shops around that will regrind a cam for the LUV motor, but I'm not certain. I know Delta does newer Isuzu motors, but not sure on the LUV. You can also free up the exhaust some with bigger pipe or better muffler, but try to balance upgrades on the intake and the exhaust. Something on one side doesn't gain near as much if you don't do something on the other. The Weber carb with a good filter on it will do more if the exhaust can keep up.

On the Isuzu 4 cyl swap idea, you can go with a 2.0L (looks the same as LUV 1.8 from the outside, cept G200 on the side) or you can move up to the 2.3L carbureted motor found in 86 and early 87 troopers and some 86-93 pickups. You could also go with the 2.6L 4 cyl which looks about the same as the 2.3L, but you get into more work getting the injection to work. It is possible to take a 2.6L block and head, 2.3L carbed intake and make a 2.6L with carb. I'd opt for the 2.6L, 2.3L intake, weber 32/36 or even a 38, Calmini coated header, and if I'm really pushing for power a Delta regrind on the cam. Simple setup with the carb, really good power, and it all bolts up the the LUV trans. The FI would be nice to get, but a lot more wiring work to deal with.

Of course you'd really want to swap the 5Spd trans from a trooper or 4x4 pickup. Takes a change to the rear driveline, but you'll gain probably 5MPG hiway mileage. Check here for more info on that swap.

If you think this sounds like a lot of work for little gain, go find a V6/V8 with tranny and transfer case. Once you get to Isuzu V6s, they use a different trans, so you'd have to bolt in more than just a motor. You can't do much with the stock trans if you are looking for a lot more power. Not to mention you have to sit right next to it and that much spinning metal can't be good for you when it breaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:02 pm 
Hey man, welcome. By the way, I'm a fellow '79 4x4 owner. As far as getting more power out of your LUV, you've definately come to the right place. The guys here know a ton about conversions and upgrades... and I'd like to think between us all on this website there is nothing we couldn't improve or rebuild on the LUV. :D

Since you're new here, I'll try and give you a quick overview about what us 4x4 guys face. Unlike the 2wd LUVs, we have to take a LOT more into account when trying to get more power. We can't just slap a new engine/trans/rear in the truck. We have the transfer case, 2 driveshafts, and matching front to rear gear ratios to worry about. I'll be honest with you, chances are if you go through all that work to upgrade your current engine to something like a 2.0 or 2.3 4cyl, or your trans to a Trooper 5 speed, you won't be satisfied for long. Doing either of those involves a lot of work and cutting and modifying the driveline. If you want to do that much work, going to a Chevy 350 V-8 with a TH350 trans set up is the best way to go for added power. The 350/350 combo is very easy to find in any junkyard or donor car. Because of that, its relatively cheap to get, but then the other costs have to go into rebuilding and fabing mounts. It can get pricey, even if you do everything from building the engine to making the mounts and installing it yourself.

If you do decide to use the 350/350, you'll need to think about what you're going to do about the front and rearend. If you decide to stay with the stock 4.10 front and rear you'll still need to have your driveshafts cut and modified. Remember, as a 4x4er you need to worry about getting a transfer case too.

If you upgrade to some other 4cyl engine, you'll wish you had a 5 speed. Once you upgrade to that, you'll realize that after all that work you did, you could have had a V-8 in there. The moral of my post? If you have the money and are good with fabrication, welding, engine work, etc. then go for the V-8 swap. If not, take it from me, there is NO cheap and quick fix for a LUV 4x4 looking for more power. Get a donor 4x4 truck with the 350/350/t-case and nice front and rear ends intact and go to work, thats what I plan to do when I have some more cash.

Hope I didn't put you off too much, it was a kind of heartbreak for me when I first learned how difficult and expensive it would be for a 4x4. In the meantime, let me know if theres any questions I might be able to help you with for your 79 4x4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:25 pm 
ok well thanks alot.ill try the minor upgrades.but this is my 2nd 4x4 luv and i have with out a doubt shocked alot of ppl with their BIG 4x4s lmao.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:23 pm 
howdy nieghbor and fellow 79 4x4 luv owner. listen to what these guys hve to say thats what i have been doing while trying to decide what to do my drive train. im thinking about the v8 real hard. no matter what you use if your gonna play play hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:29 pm 
da LUV masta

sounds like a tune up would help.