LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: timing marks 1.8L stock
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:22 pm 

i actually need head bolt torque & sequence, timing mark alignment procedure; any other good advice when i put the head back on ...like anything distributor or other.

i'll be cruising this site, now that i found it again, and post pics of my '79 stock 4x4. best little workhorse i ever owned. i am second owner, got it in 2000, have put about 80,000 miles on it. it had a upgraded carb when i got it, everything else stock.
_______

man, thanks to y'all. (chipstyleTN, ...TN=Tennessee ...y'all?) here's where i am: head is loose, but not off. thanks for the tip, "keep timing chain in place with wire". i was thinking of that, but you've encouraged me on it. engine is still in truck, front cover still on. the timing chain hasn't fallen off the lower sprocket yet... is it possible for that to happen? if so, then i need the front cover off after all, huh...? so i take it that the top sprocket and chain will slide through the head opening and back again; i had another question, but more thanks to luv3798. too cool!

after looking at your replies, i still wonder abou the sequence of torquing the head bolts. thanks to luv3798 for ft-lbs., you help with the sequence? i guess it's probably standard sequence with (10) bolts, but i dunno it.

Last edited by chipstyleTN on Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:44 pm 
da LUV masta

I think maybe Farmer, LUVRV8, or rondog could assit on this topic... :P

custom rear leafs, custom made aluminum radiator,
Mustang II front suspension
LUV perf parts manufacturing
My Devotion to Karl :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmXc4F78 ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The only real tip you need is to zip tie or wire the timing chain to the top sprocket before taking it off the camshaft and before taking the head off. Sounds like you may already be past that step though, hopefully things will not be that hard to get lined back up. Give me a description of where you are at in the process and what has been done with the chain, and I'm sure one of us here can give you a process to use to line the timing gears back up.

The best tip I can give you is to go to your local auto parts stores and buy the Haynes service manual. I could try to explain it with pages of text, but the Haynes book has a lot of really good pictures that make things pretty clear. It will cost you less than $20 and its well worth it.

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Here's the marks you need to get right. I'm currently replacing my timing cover gasket set, which requires the head and oil pan removal. I also need to remove the distributor. This photo was taken just hours ago.

Image Click on the photo...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:27 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

you may have allready got the info you need, if not here is something that may help. i have access to alldata online. i can get basically anything you might need on any car back to 1982. so i got info for an 82 isuzu truck here. same shit as a luv.

just give me a shout if anybody needs any info like this or similar.

Install the chain with the larger number of links (50) between mark plates (1) and (2) facing toward the chain guide. (Fig. 4)
Align lower mark plate with bottom index mark on crank sprocket (Fig. 3).
If automatic adjuster was removed, re-install the adjuster. Set adjuster shoe in the fully retracted position (Fig. 2).
Align camshaft sprocket index mark with upper mark link and secure with mechanic wire (Fig. 1).
this info goes with this pic.
this is for removing timing chain, which i suppose you didnt do. but it might be helpful info.

all the bolt specs for the motor.

this is just misc info i found that might be helpful to you or another stock luv owner.

let me know if you need more info.

AINT RIGHT MOTORSPORTS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good info!

FIAA!

SFPP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

Image The Harmonic Balancer

I will be assembling my engine during the coming week if I don't get hit by a tree first. No laughing. There's the oil pump to line up, the distributor, the timing gears, and the camshaft to get all correct. My manual shows the same arrangement:

With the front cover removed, align the oil pump drive gear punch mark with the oil filter side of cover; then align the center of dowel pin with alignment mark on oil pump case.

Make sure that #1 and #4 cylinders are at TDC. Install the new gaskets on to the block, then install the front cover by engaging the pinion gear with the oil pump drive gear on the crankshaft. Check that the slit at the end of oil pump shaft is parallel with front face of cylinder block and that the offset is forward. Replace the distributor with the rotor pointing to the #1 terminal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:12 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Start in the middle of the head and work your way out spirally by criss-crossing from bolt to bolt. Don't forget to re-torque the head bolts after a few days running time. Be sure to 'blow out' the threaded holes in the block to clean out carbon/debris. Wire bursh clean the head bolts before inserting them.