LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Intake and carb
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:40 pm 

I'm looking to purchase the intake manifold and carb for my 350 sbc. I'm pretty sure I want to go with edelbrock. I'm thinking of going with the combo offered by Summit (dual plane, 750 cfm). My LUV is a '79 that has the vacume assisted brakes that connected to the stock intake. Will there be a place on the new manifold to connect the vacume hose? On the carb, does it matter if you go with a single fuel inlet or a double inlet; I think the stock carb had 2 fuel lines going into it. Manual choke vs electric, any advantages. Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:21 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Edelbrock Performer EPS / RPM / Air Gap intakes have a port in the manifold right behind the carb base. With the correct T-fitting, you can hook up your brake booster and trans vac modulator (if you have a trans that needs one). The carb may dictate what style of fitting you can use. The carb itself has a large port coming off of the base on the passenger side. This is normally for P.C.V. but if you're not running P.C.V., the brake boost can be tied in to that.
If the carb has 2 ports for fuel, use the appropriate fuel line assy for it.
Automatic chokes are very convienient once you have it set correctly. But Holley carbs in general really dont need a choke at all. I have a manual choke on mine and i dont even use it.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

i agree i have a holley also and i dont even have my choke hooked up. how ever on mine i am running the pcv valve and i have mine ran from my valve cover to a vaccum port on the front of the carb and i have my brake booster ran to carb vaccum(on the back pass. side of the carb plate) and my trans vaccum line is ran to intake pressure. then my dist. is ran to the primary side of the carbs. vaccum. idk if this configuration is right but my grandpas a genious at carbs and motors and thsi is the ways he told me to set my vaccum lines up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It looks correct. This will work if you're not using the port on the intake at all or the intake doesn't have provisions for a vac fitting. This is commom for motors with full race intakes being used on street engines.

What do Water, Electricity and Humans have in common... They all travel the path of least resistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

As for the two lines for fuel to the original carb, the smaller one is a return line. I have an edelbrock carb, and a performer intake. Like previously stated, you can use a t-fitting and run the trans modulator and vac booster off of it. as far as the choke I have run both holley's and edelbrock with manual chokes wired open and never had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:06 pm 

[quote="diarmadhim] as far as the choke I have run both holley's and edelbrock with manual chokes wired open and never had a problem.[/quote]

thats what i do to all my manual choke carburatores

74 chevy luv 1/8th mile
bracket racer

99 chevy silverado supercharged 425hp daily driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:30 pm 
Japanese Redneck

depending on what kind of driving you do, the Performer RPM is a good manifold but hands down the Weiand Contender is the best dual plane you can get. There are two different model Contenders, one is offroad and is Idle-4500 but the 300-39 (I think) model is the one you want. its idle -7200 RPM.

28x10 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:53 am 
Addicted to LUV

Can you provide a link to that intake? I can't find anything on a Contender intake. Weiand or Holley. An intake that has a range from idle to 7200 r.p.m. is something i need to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

What carb comes with that set up? I try to stay away from edelbrock manifold because they put the rear vacuum port right up against the carb flange so you have to run there carb or a spacer plate to get the vacuum fitting to clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 pm 
Japanese Redneck

sorry too many beers the other night. its a Holley Contender. i think the correct PN is 300-36. its good up to 7200 but there really is no replacement for a #2975 Victor Jr or better if you plan on playin up in the high RPM's often. the contender is a good all around street manifold though.
put a 3310 (780) or 3310-2 (750) Holley carb on it and jet it correctly. it will work nicely on just about any small block

28x10 Goodyears

Last edited by LUVSADRAG on Wed May 24, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:18 pm 
Japanese Redneck

wow i guess its been a few years since i bought one. They changed the name of the manifold!!!! its now called a Holley Street Dominator. still has the same PN 300-36 though.

some other manifolds that I would recommend is the Edelbrock Torker (not the Torker II) the old school Torker (s9ngle plane straight runner) if you can find one cuz they quit making them. also an Weiand X-celerator, is a good but inexpensive manifold.

28x10 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:04 pm 
Japanese Redneck

Blue Meanie wrote:
Can you provide a link to that intake? I can't find anything on a Contender intake. Weiand or Holley. An intake that has a range from idle to 7200 r.p.m. is something i need to see.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

This is the best dual plane manifold around IMO. I've put them on quite a few mild to medium perf street 383's over the years. Summit has it for CHEAP too. I think they normally go for about $170

28x10 Goodyears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:29 pm 

At the bottom of that link there is this (5200rpm) or it could be a miss print?????

Maximum street performance.
Dual plane Holley Street Dominator intake manifolds are designed to exceed the performance of most OEM 4-barrel intake manifolds. With their low-rise or medium-rise configuration, divided plenum, and dual plane runner layout, they provide excellent low and mid-range power output--from idle up to as high as 5,200 rpm. They can take several carb types and sizes, and will enable you to maximize street performance.

74 chevy luv 1/8th mile
bracket racer

99 chevy silverado supercharged 425hp daily driver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:56 pm 
Japanese Redneck

Misprint
Check the Holley site if you want to confirm the RPM range. I cant believe nobody knows about this manifold!!! they've been around forever.

28x10 Goodyears