LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Electrical Help
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:23 pm 
hello all..... I just came across this site and while not droping a v8 into my1980 2wd short bed LUV I am in the beginning stages of restoring it to like new condition (on a strict budjet..which means Im broke) to use as a delivey vehical for my bakery. I have lots of questions for many catagories but for now I'll stick to electrical. My GEN light will not completely go out and when I turn the lights on or heater or any electrical draw for that matter it gets brighter... I recently replaced the alternater and regulator and it still doing it. I figured it may be a loose ground but I could not find anything loose....Electrical is not my thing which is peraps why I am not finding it. I read a post on one of the other pages about someone that replaced and removed most of the wiring If that person could tell me what to cut out that is not needed I would appreciate it greatly. I recently took the electrical drawings form my book and had a friend enlarge them then I traced each line with a different color marker for eaiser viewing but I still cannot figure out why this is happening..thanks in advance for any help
Gino..

Post subject: alt output
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:22 pm 
before cutting wires you should check the alt output ,with a volt meter you should read 12.9{low side} to 14.2volts{high side} some where in that range is ok ,to check the amps out put is harder you could take it to a shop .does anyone know the amps output on a stock alt ?
hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:38 am 
Addicted to LUV

i had the same problem.check and play with your voltage regulater box.it sounds like to me its set up for way to much power than the truck actually needs.if you have a haynes manual check into it.it'll show you how to ajust it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:05 am 
Addicted to LUV

that is one of the main reasons why I replaced most of my wiring in my truck. you won't believe how many wires go back and forth from the battery to the voltage regulator to this and to that......
its like when you have your heater on and turn the blinkers on the blinkers go slow and gen light gets brighter? been there done that.

one suggestion that might help. You might want to try attatching a ground wire somewhere under the dash (from the ground wires to the chassis). There isn't one ground under the dash at all. I don't know if this will help or not, but it is a start.

Also I think the wires are waaaay undersized in the LUV truck. for that many wires running throughout the truck for the regulator and battery they should have went a wire size up to make up for voltage loss.

Post subject: alternator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:50 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

The best thing I did was ditch that DAMN Hitachi alternator.I got tired of having it fix and a new one wasn't cheap. I replaced it with a one wire Delco. I did find that I had to connect the two small wires together so the electric fuel pump would run. I also ran a 10 guage wire directly to the battery, the stock wire isn't heavey at all. Make sure you have good secure connections and protect the wire in a harness. I modified the headlights to run directly off the alternator so they don't draw power thru the headlight swith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:56 pm 
I believe the stock alternator rating is 40 amps.

Post subject: Re: electrical problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:48 pm 
WOW....I think I have found the right place for advice... I will repost with what I came up with in a few days because right now the electrical is the least of my worries. Either my torque converter or trans just took a $%#@ and I must tend to that.. Well you know how it goes I have been putting it off and now I MUST do it instead of SHOULD do it..it needed it anyway this way its eaiser to justify the money. I guess I might as well ask for any suggestions on rebuild kits or converter types?? Thanks again
Gino.