LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:33 pm 
I recently took the head off of my 1980 luv and had it rebuilt, but when I took it off, the locking timing chain adjuster broke off. So when I went to put the head back on there was so much tension that I couldn't get the sprocket onto the cam. I managed to get some slack in the chain and get the sprocket on but now there is to much slack. Any suggestions on fixing the adjuster or just retensioning it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hey man check this topic later on tonight. i have to go to work right now and i don't have time to write it.

i ran into the exact same problem. not really a big deal so don't stress about it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:36 am 
da LUV masta

why didnt you replace it when the head was off if you broke it? wouldnt that of been the logical way?

No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up with her crap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

your going to have to get a new one.

autozone has them for 17.99 it's special order. they don't have it in stock.

go ahead a replace it because if you don't it will rattle and it will drive you crazy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:00 pm 
Addicted to LUV

http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBrok ... +TENSIONER
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:44 pm 
is that '80 a 4x4 by any chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

yes it is.
there shouldn't be any difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive for this part :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:12 pm 
i was just wondering because i am changing the timing chain on my 79 4x4 and i am having to pill the whole motor out because the front cross member is in the way of the oil pan . i'm gonna rent a cherry picker friday night and hope it doesnt start raining on me ( no gagrage)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:16 pm 
Addicted to LUV

you don't need to pull it.
if you lift your motor up with a jack till it hits the firwall you'll have enough room to clear.
thats if your changing the head.

if you need to take the oil pan completely off your right, you'll need to pull it.

changing the tensioner is a good idea. i didn't and i regret it. go ahead a get a new one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:20 pm 
yeah the oil pan needs to come off. there is two bolts holding the front cover on . my buddy says i only need to raise it but i think if i pull the motor i'll be able to make sure when i put the oil pan gasket on its a good fit who knows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:23 pm 
by the way when i pulled my head i didnt need to jack it at all. i just pulled the head off with the manifolds attatched. i think my tentioner broke too because i dont see it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:11 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Back when my LUV had the 1.8L the timing chain went out on it. It screwed the valves, sprockets, and the tensioner pretty good. In fact the tensioner broke of completely and was in about 10 peices in the bottom of the timing chain comparment there (down in the bottom where the chain was nicely piled up.... :lol:) They are not a very strong point on the motor, seems to me they have to be changed after awhile, they wear out fast. Oh well it was just another excuse for a SBC.... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:06 am 
da LUV masta

its hard to see the tensioner even when it isnt brocken, its a fair way down. i managed to take of my head n clean everything up without having to remove the timing chain cover or oil pan, just backed off the tensioner took the chain off half the cam sproket and cranked the motor over by hand, and did the oposite for putting it back on

No matter how good she looks, some other guy is sick and tired of putting up with her crap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:21 am 
thanks for the help. I'll try your ideas and get back to you on how they worked thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

If I'm just doing a head and/or head gasket I don't pull the timing chain at all. Take some wire and wrap around the chain through the holes in the cam sproket and twist it to hold the chain tight. That keeps the chain from moving around on the cam sproket. Then pull the bolt holding the sproket on. Then just pull the head and let the sproket and chain sit where they are. When the head goes back on, you just need to turn the cam over to match where the sproket is sitting and bolt it back on. No pulling the front cover or the oil pan, much less the motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:43 pm 
Now i am having trouble getting the front cover off. All the bolts are loosened, but it just won't come off. I don't know if its just stuck or if I missed a bolt somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:15 pm 
pull off your oil pan