LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:06 pm 

My odometer stopped working, the speedometer works fine, but I need to remove the instrument cluster to examine and possibly repair the odometer (many moons ago I did some roll back work as a young inquisitive fellow). At this advanced age, beyond senior status, I have trouble laying crosswise to look up, reach in there and remove the speedo cable...meaning I want to know if it is a twist of the plastic outer housing (how far 180 degrees?) or a serious push into the back face of the unit, or if there is a clip that needs to be removed, or something I didn't see or think of as my back said "I'll give you 10 seconds more of this crazy position before the real pain comes into play!"

I finished painting my plastic dash and pad with Rustoleum paint...$7 bucks a spray can...sticks like death, satin finish...looks great, will wear great and saves me monies I can divert to other areas. This paint (Rustoleum) is terrific for many uses on a vehicle...not so much for spot painting or an overall finish, but small things it works great...only drawback for me is the drying time. Product has great chemistry. Real test is the painted steering wheel with a textured finish (for more grip...remember, I am beyond senior status), will it be durable with greasy hands, etc. over a period of time?

Thank you for informing me of what you know on the speedo cable removal, better to learn first than to break it and come running back asking for used parts, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:03 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It has two tabs that you have to squeeze inward while contorted like a pretzel.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:30 am 

Thank you for informing me what needs to occur. I like the pretzel picture, that is right on the money!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:40 am 

Joe, thank you for that method to remove the speedo. It worked like a charm and my back sends its thanks!

I put everything together and was somewhat pleased. When taking the speedo housing out I noticed oil flowing on the white plastic housing area of the speedo. Putting everything together, I took it for a demo ride to see if all worked. The needle for the speedo, as my vehicle gained momentum, swept over to the 85mph area and stayed there as I drove slowly down the street.

My thought is that this oil that had earlier shown up out of nowhere, might have been inside that inner cupping of two colored circular metal cups, offering a measured resistance to the spring inside which would result in an more consistent reading of my speed. This would suggest perhaps a seal might have shifted inside that unit into which the speedo cable attached?

Your thoughts and advice would be more than welcomed as would if my hunch is accurate what type of oil (I am thinking of motor oil 30wt) is needed along with checking to see if there is a seal or not and if broken/warped a method to repair, etc.

Then again, I could be way off in my suspicion of what is causing the needle to rapidly move over from left to right on the dail. It goes back slowly as I come to a stop. I am almost there...again thank you for any advice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

The oil is actually from the transmission. This was a common issue that Isuzu had to deal with while these were under warranty.

To fix it:
  1. Remove the single bolt holding the speedometer gear housing, and gently pry it loose. Do NOT pry against the tab where the bolt-hole is. It will break off. Or, just tug on the speedometer cable itself, if you can grip it well enough.
  2. Once the speedometer gear housing is removed, pull the gear itself out. Then remove the cable, which is secured by a threaded collar.
    Attachment:
    speedo_gear3.jpg
    speedo_gear3.jpg [ 506.07 KiB | Viewed 7443 times ]
  3. (This is where my memory comes up short) Inside that housing, there's a sleeve, holding an o-ring in. That all needs to come out, so the o-ring can be replaced.
  4. Source another o-ring from your local hardware store, and you may want to get a few of various sizes/thicknesses, just to be safe.
  5. Replace the o-ring and the sleeve, re-insert the gear, and make sure it turns without much effort. It should be tight enough to make contact, but that's about it. Too tight, and it might cause wear on the plastic gear.
  6. Put the gear housing back into/on the transmission. Make sure it is fully seated before putting the bold in!. If you try to tighten the bolt before the gear housing is seated, you WILL break off the mounting tab (don't ask how I know this). Re-attach the cable.

Hope that helps.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:58 pm 

Wow! Had no idea that oil I discovered originated from the transmission. I will do the o ring replacement, but will this fix the speed indicator arm going to 85mph as I slowly pull out of my driveway for a road test? Frankly, I don't see the connection, or how the oil now affects the speedo head. This might also suggest I need to clean out the speedo head on the instrument cluster, but that would offer up another problem: how to go about doing such a cleaning if needed. I should note that prior to taking out the instrument cluster and disengaging the speedo unit there was no problem with the needle working to show proper speed of vehicle.

About 7 months ago I did in fact have to drop the transmission to replace the clutch system where the speedo cable was disconnected from the tranny. Never thought there would be a problem with the o ring, etc.

Again Joe, I want to thank you for coming to my aid...if I had your picture it would go up on the refrigerator with a gold star!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If a speedometer cable binds (maybe due to a tight bend in the cable routing, or possibly due to fraying or a bend in the internal cable), it will "wind up" like a rubber band, then "unwind" suddenly. This causes erratic readings, both low and high.

You can easily pull the internal cable out for inspection from the transmission end. If it's good, you should be able to push it right back in. You may have to twist it a bit to get the square end to engage at the speedo head.

I've never had my cluster apart for cleaning, but someone on the P'up site posted pics of it. He was showing how to fix the odometer when one or more numbers was sticking. I'll see if I can find that.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Here's a topic from the P'up site that might be helpful:
Odometer / Speedo Fix / Photos for Disassembly
It's mostly about the odometer, but that's all in the same general area.

Jack