LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:44 pm 

I'm putting a couple of Luv's to make one. Someone (a mechanic) had done a frame off so mechanically it's pretty good. They had health problems so I got it. It is a 4x4 diesel. All went OK but I'm working with the wiring and I think it was a gas engine originally and worse maybe CA at least seemingly a lot of extra plugs under hood. I'm frustrated and wondering should I buy aftermarket wiring and re do so it is correct when I get done. I have to do special diesel wiring anyway...I guess the dash wiring seems difficult . Any ideas? Coaching. I can make it work but sense all is pretty good otherwise I'd like a good job here. Also why the odd alternator on the diesel? A marine diesel was that a good call?

Monty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:42 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hi, Monty. Welcome aboard.

I'm really not sure where to start. The wiring of gas and diesel models aren't too different. I would not require it unless someone has made a huge mess of it. To start with, I'd suggest finding a factory shop manual. It doesn't matter whether you get a Chevy manual or an Isuzu manual, just be sure it's specifically for the year your truck is. I think there may have been a minor change or two in the wiring, from'81 to '82. I'd stay away from aftermarket manuals.
montycowboy58 wrote:
Also why the odd alternator on the diesel? A marine diesel was that a good call?
Since we can't see your alternator, we can only guess what you're referring to. Yes, the diesel alternator is odd, in that it has a vacuum pump mounted on the back. I don't have a clue what you mean by "a marine diesel".

Are both trucks 4x4?

Keep asking specific questions, I'll try to help.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:28 pm 

well thanks so much!

I actually grew up on a South Dakota cattle ranch (some diesel experience) and was a Navy Nuclear Operator (76-82) (some technical ability). I actually already bought a wiring kit as closer inspection revealed much "hack work". I realized it was a vacuum pump but why oil inlet and outlet? Cooling? One line to the injector pump and the other to the brake assist, is it really that hard to stop? See I have a 1st gen frame (4x4) with a diesel (and 1st gen cab style) is this unusual? I thought only 2nd gen was diesel? But it will be cool and it all seems to fit.I'm going with aftermarket mechanical gages cause I like them with and older vehicle. I'm adding a lift pump (did the original have one). This is off the subject but sense none of this is original (thankfully I still have friends in the courthouse in Perkins County SD so I can get a title) I'm going to build up the dash top with fiberglass and bondo and smooth it down and have them shoot it when I get it painted what do you think of that? It's hard to find replacement dash stuff. Also I got a bunch of parts if anyone wants them for free just pay the freight.

thanks for coaching
Monty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

This was too long to even think about answering on my iPhone. Had to wait until today, and answer on a "real" computer. :)
montycowboy58 wrote:
I realized it was a vacuum pump but why oil inlet and outlet? Cooling?
This may sound odd, but the oil is for lubrication. ;) The pump vanes scrape against the housing. You'd probably start a fire if it didn't have a constant oil bath. And it wouldn't pull much vacuum, either. And while we're on that subject, the oil supply line needs to be replaced before you run this engine under a closed hood. Those lines get brittle and can break inside without any apparent damage (the fabric covering hides it). If it breaks, you will lose your entire oil supply in a hurry. PM me for a source for a replacement line.
montycowboy58 wrote:
One line to the injector pump and the other to the brake assist, is it really that hard to stop?
Now that I understand your diesel is in a 1st gen, there's no way to guess how the vacuum was routed. The small line SHOULD have gone to a tee that supports the climate control diverters and the fast-idle diaphragm (on the side of the injection pump). That fast-idle diaphragm probably leaks, and it can decrease brake pedal efficiency.
montycowboy58 wrote:
One line to the injector pump and the other to the brake assist, is it really that hard to stop?
The brake system is designed for vacuum assist. I'm sure it could have been designed to be fully manual, and would not have been too difficult to stop. But it wasn't.
montycowboy58 wrote:
See I have a 1st gen frame (4x4) with a diesel (and 1st gen cab style) is this unusual?
These trucks are unusual. so yes. But the diesel was not offered in the US in what we call the 1st gen. Yours is a swap.
montycowboy58 wrote:
I'm adding a lift pump (did the original have one).
Lift pumps were not original, and they only mask trouble. IMO, better not to have one.
montycowboy58 wrote:
Also I got a bunch of parts if anyone wants them for free just pay the freight.
Please let us know what you have.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:15 am 

thanks so much Jack

Interesting on the vacuum pump I wondered about the lubricating aspect also thanks for the heads up on the oil line embrittlement. No lift pump? It must have a good mechanical integral pump and not get wiped out (the injector pump) if no lube? Any thoughts on doing the dash? I just can't struggle so hard to keep it original when it isn't anyway and this way I can have bucket seats! I'd keep it original in a different scenario but in the case I can't justify going that route.

Monty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

montycowboy58 wrote:
thanks so much Jack

Interesting on the vacuum pump I wondered about the lubricating aspect also thanks for the heads up on the oil line embrittlement. No lift pump? It must have a good mechanical integral pump and not get wiped out (the injector pump) if no lube? Any thoughts on doing the dash? I just can't struggle so hard to keep it original when it isn't anyway and this way I can have bucket seats! I'd keep it original in a different scenario but in the case I can't justify going that route.

Monty

Monty,

Anything related to the 1st gen (like the dash) is outside my wheelhouse. Since you're in the "Diesel" category here, those questions may not be seen by the folks whose expertise you need. I'd post those in a different category.

Jack