LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:20 pm 

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have been here, but I need some advice. I have had to park my truck because of a massive vibration over 35. I replaced the u-joints earlier this year thinking that was the problem, but it was not. I have researched some options, but am still somewhat perplexed.

The first option is a full rebuild. I have no issues doing this, but I need advice on what parts to buy, where to source them, and what to look for when opening the trans.

Second option is replacing the guts of the trans from another one. This option would be my cheapest because I already have another trans. Only issue is it came from a 2WD. My question here is compatibility between 2WD and 4WD. Is this even a realistic option? Can I replace the tailshaft of the 2WD with the transfercase of the 4WD?

Third, and likely most difficult, option is a full swap out of a PUP or Trooper. These are not very common vehicles round these parts, but I would like to know what models to look out for just in case. Everything on my pickup is still stock, so I would like to know which transmissions I can use to directly replace what I have.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks! -- Nathan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:55 am 
Addicted to LUV

I'm going to ask the beginner questions so bare with me.
Have the tires been checked for separation? Balanced? Bent wheel?
Was the driveshaft balanced when the u joints were replaced? Are you sure it's not a bed, new u joint?
If it's 4x4, are you sure the hubs are unlocked and it's in 2wd? Mine will vibrate it the transfer case gets accidentally put in 4 high with the hubs unlocked.
Just make sure it's not something small and easy before you go doing the big stuff. good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 pm 

The tires are fairly new, and they were balanced when they were mounted. I did not have the driveshaft balanced when I did the u-joints, so that may be worth looking into. First things first, though, I'm going to have to check and see if the hubs are locked in or not because that is easy and free. My transfer case does not allow me to stay in 4 high because there is something wrong in there as well, but that's another project! I will have to do some calling around town to see if anyone can balance my driveshaft for a reasonable price.

I guess one of the main reasons I was considering trans issues is because the tailshaft bushing has a little bit of slop in it.

Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

Truck Pro cut welded and balanced my driveshaft on one of my projects and they were pretty cheap. Truck Pros are everywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:47 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Mine has a wobble at and above 55mph. I know my tail shaft bearing is too sloppy as it has killed the u joints a couple times. I just haven't gotten around to pulling the trans. out of it as it's not a daily driver for me.