LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: '72 LUV build update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:33 am 

Wow, been gone way too long. Life happenings got in the way of my build and I had to abruptly shelf my project. All these years later, and lots of covert homework, I'm attempting to get my little '72 back on the road. One of the few benefits of postponing a project is that technology brings all sorts of goodies to the table. My drivetrain has changed...again. I had dropped the idea of a SB 350 in favor of an LS3/4L65e swap, but that too has changed. I'm in the process of acquiring a 4.3l EcoTecIII LV3 and likely a 6L80e trans, basically the drivetrain from a 2016 Chevy Silverado V6/2WD. The weight savings is huge, the power is there (roughly 300 hp) and it hasn't been overdone...yet. My intentions for the truck haven't changed, so I think this power plant and trans may be just the ticket. I actually have a shop to work in now so this may actually happen. Going to get it up and running first, clean up some body work, update brakes, lights, wheels/tires, interior and whatnot. Once it's ready for the transplant, I'll try and keep the pics flowing. This has been a very long journey, one with little to no progress in an exceedingly long time, I'm getting excited to see how this goes.

I know a lot of folks could care less about my post, but some of the old hats on here were very helpful and supportive before things got derailed. I look forward to rejoining the community and catching up with some of you. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance, because you know I'm going to have questions along the way. Take care all!

Post subject: Re: '72 LUV build update
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hey man im just glad to see a build going. Seems like that site has been dying down lately and thats a huge bummer

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:48 am 

Thanks for the update, it will be interesting to hear your future progress. I understand the shelfing thing as I have a 72 LUV also waiting in the garage for some attention but heading for the 70's look. Keep us updated as progress moves on!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 am 

Thanks for the kinds words guys, I'm getting pretty excited to be moving forward with the project. My intentions are to go with a retro-mod build but too wild. As mentioned in my first post on this thread, I had at one point thought about an LS3/4L65e but, as any LUV truck fan knows, the truck doesn't weigh much and 430 hp is fun but a but more than I was really looking for. When GM dropped the new LV3, let's just say it piqued my interest quickly. A most welcome repeat to the thought behind the first 4.3, basically knock two pistons off their LS/LT platform and boom, an all-aluminum V6 with just under 300hp and 305 lb-ft. Mated to the six speed 6L80e and I think I've got a combo that will both sling my little truck down the road without issue and get some fuel economy while doing it. I did mention this is an update to my original build so what the heck, here's my build sheet:

Engine/trans: GM 4.3l LV3/6L80e
Engine Harness: Howell EFI
Shifter: Lokar 6L80e floor shifter
Rear end: S10 10-bolt (8.5) 3:08 or 3:42 ratio
Rear end mods: Eaton TrueTrac with Yukon chromoly axles
Brakes: Aerospace Components Pro-Street brakes (all disc)

That's pretty much the go and the stop components. As this gets going I hope to stick to the plan, I will likely start a new thread for that actual build and pics, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:25 am 

***UPDATE!!***

My how time flies, but things are ACTUALLY moving with this build. I found a '21 LV1/8L90e with incredibly low miles on it for a price I could live with, it should be delivered this week. After a fair bit of pondering, I opted to go with a slightly massaged 9" w/limited slip from Speedway Motors. The good folks at Aerospace Components will be building my brakes, so I'll have matching (rebuildable) cross drilled/slotted discs all the way around. After all these years of researching this and that, I finally just pulled the trigger and have the big pieces arriving by the week. It doesn't hurt that I finally got power and my 10k 2-post lift in the shop.

Yes, I intend to start posting pics soon as I'd like to think some of the folks on this page might appreciate it. I've tried to keep this from being a "cookie cutter" build. Resto-mods are quite a thing and I suppose mine will fall under that category, but we'll see how things turn out. A fair shout out to all the builders and hobbyists on this page as I drew a fair bit of inspiration from many of you. I'm excited and apprehensive all at the same time as this has been a long time coming. My main focus to start with will be to just get all the important pieces in all the right places, then get it drivable. She'll roll in full patina until the bugs are worked out of the drivetrain, then the bodywork will begin, and finally the interior.

Well, I hope to have some "before" pics on the page soon...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

It sounds like you have a plan. I am looking forward to seeing the progress. 72's are my favorite. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:58 pm 

I keep using the word "soon", as in "I'll be posting this or that soon"...LoL! Is it just me or have the last two years flown by like Maverick buzzing the tower?

So, here's the latest on my '72 build:

I have actually acquired a 2021 LV1/8L90e setup, its on a pallet in the shop. Kinda got ahead of myself because the deal was so good, looking for a good company to help with the engine/tranny harness. Everything else is SLOWLY moving forward though. Settled on a narrowed 9" from Speedway with 3.50 gears and a full brake setup from Aerospace components, pricey but I've drug this out so long may as well do it up right. Gone round and round with vehicle harnesses. Many moons ago I looked at Painless, Summit and so on. I've looked at American Autowire and some others but have yet to settle on a winner. The truck will stay in full patina for a while as I'd like to work the bugs out before I get crazy with the paint and body work. I'm hoping, now that my shop is just about squared away, that within the next month or so, I'll be posting some pics and progress details. Until next time...