LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1977 LUV Daily
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:52 pm 

This project was an unplanned adventure. Didn't want to add to my ever expanding list of unfinished projects so this was put on the front burner to get knocked out and utilized as my daily. I know how everyone likes pictures so I won't bore you to death with words, just quick, usually tongue-in-cheek explanations above each pic. Here goes:

Purchased for 800 beans; unknown owner history, which is shocking since the person I bought it from looked like they were in need of their next meth fix, but I drigress. Had been sitting for 2 years, was able to get it running, on 3, with starter fluid and fresh gas.

Interior was pretty dialed.

I knew nothing about these trucks other than they looked kickass. Through this forum and other research I discovered it already had a Weber 32/36 DGV and a Pertronix electronic ignition. What other mysteries await me...

Interior is now almost completely gutted. It might be sacrilege of me to just tear everything out but I want it to be the ultimate bare bones daily, literally will make pussy run away.

How does a crack like this beast happen?

Was leaking fuel everywhere, discovered the fuel lines were too small and jammed onto every fitting, as well as dry cracked. All new line ran from pump to carb, cleaned up the electrical while I was there, and removed the existing hard lines that the PO left and capped the fuel tank barbs. I hate random shit being left on the truck haphazardly. If it's not being used it's coming off.

Compression check revealed 1:140 2:0 3:30 4:135
So the head's coming off.

Not surprised...

Disassembled, ready to head to the machine shop, which it did today.

Is this part of the PCV system? Either way it's coming out and getting plugged. All smog will be removed, truck is old enough to be plated as a Classic so I can drive it under 5,000mi each year and not need to get it smogged.

Currently have pretty much every tune up part on order, as well as a Pacesetter LT. Plan is to get it back to it's reliable old self, running tighter than a clam's ass. Rebuilt the Weber today, a methodical, therapeutic 4hrs.

Lastly, pretty sure the leaf spring shackles are longer than stock... they're going to get cut down soon, drop the rear and turn the torsion bars down up front to match.

The rest of this week will be prepping the engine bay and block, cleaning up wiring; head will be done Thursday at the earliest, Monday for sure. Once the engine is back together I'll be changing the remaining fluids, and modifying some seat brackets to use a spare set of 1988 Honda Prelude seats instead of the stockers. Stay tuned, ask questions, I'll try to reply in a timely manner.

Post subject: Re: 1977 LUV Daily
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:20 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

nice job lol your interior pic,the after shot anyway,looks just like mine,right before i cut off the roof.lol ive had mine for 2-1/2 years and just drove it around the block for the first time a couple weeks ago. it ran when i got it,buts its a retirement project,so no hurry.will only be used on country back roads on sunny mornings anyway.barely legal,but windy,slow and fun..keep up the good work

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:58 pm 

It's driving :smt041

Work done so far:
-Carter P60504 fuel pump. Supposedly it's that cat's ass for Weber 32/36 DGV carbs, proper pressure and volume without needing any other in-line tom foolery.
-Rebuilt Weber 32/36 DGV. Also re-jetted the idle and main circuits. Modified synchronized linkage, that really woke this thing up.
-Throttle cable from some random Nissan and throttle linkage for said cable off an 80's Isuzu Hombre. Sounds pretty rigged but it works awesome, smooth pull from idle to WOT.
-Pertronix electronic ignition and 40,000v coil, along with all new ignition wires, plugs, etc.
-Pacesetter long tube, custom 2.25" exhaust with a GReddy Revolution RS muffler, cuz this thing is from Japan so gotta go with the JDM muff.

I already put 2,000mi on it driving around town and then from Vegas to Saint Anthony, ID and back, that was a trip. I vapor locked pretty hard coming out of SLC, but figured that out quickly; then my throttle shaft nut backed off and the linkage (which was just the normal progressive stuff at the time) went haywire and the thing went full throttle when I exited the freeway, that was bitching. Scavenged a nut from something and cross-threaded it on to fix that problem. Last thing, for whatever reason, the alternator bolt sheared off. I was doing 80 at the time, and when that thing hit the firewall and then the floor pan that was a definite "Oh shit" moment haha. Was able to find hardware at Ace and fix that, then smooth sailing all the way home. Now for some pics:

Phone dying, 12v inoperable... problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:59 am 

haha that exhaust reminds me of the one i had on my luv...except mine was sideways with anodized red it sounded nice..looking good

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:42 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Looking good and coming together quickly. I have a set of factory leaf spring hangers if you need them.