LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:43 pm 

I've been asked to change the oil in my friend's 1981 Chevy Luv diesel. She lives in the boonies, 2 hours from town, and doesn't have a manual for it.

I change the oil in my own vehicles and have for more than 30 yrs. I've never done a diesel though. Is it roughly the same procedure as in a gas engine... or are there things I should be aware of?

And while here, I'll take suggestions on oil weights and filters. (she lives at 6,000 in the mountains, so see's temps from 90 to 20 below)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Try http://www.isuzupup.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 am 

rondog wrote:

Thanks. I have tried registering to that site several times to no avail. I keep getting "invalid email".

Still no tips here? This is a diesel forum for the Luv... isn't it?

Thanks,
Fish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

It is, but there aren't many members on here who are diesel experts. Send a PM to JoeIsuzu and he can likely help you out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:31 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sorry, just saw this. If you don't mind, give me a chance to get on a real computer this evening. I hate trying to respond via the iPhone.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Fishugly wrote:
I've been asked to change the oil in my friend's 1981 Chevy Luv diesel. She lives in the boonies, 2 hours from town, and doesn't have a manual for it.

I change the oil in my own vehicles and have for more than 30 yrs. I've never done a diesel though. Is it roughly the same procedure as in a gas engine... or are there things I should be aware of?

And while here, I'll take suggestions on oil weights and filters. (she lives at 6,000 in the mountains, so see's temps from 90 to 20 below)

I can' think of anything that's special due to being diesel -- except that the used oil will be black black black. Don't worry, that's normal after even a short time. Oh, and the capacity may surprise you (that seems like a typical diesel thing). It's nearly 6 quarts.

For any diesel, always use a "C" rated oil. They're designed for compression-ignition (diesel) engines. I like Rotella T6 (full synthetic) in 15w50. I think it should be good for that temperature range, but check the chart. A lower viscosity MIGHT be needed for -20. I still change mine every 3,000 or so, just because I was raised that way. ;)

You'll find the oil filter is "upside down". That makes it accessible from the top side (barely), but it makes it messy. There's not much clearance between it, the firewall, the block, the injection lines, and other stuff in there. A strap wrench is about the best tool for loosening it. Be ready to catch what runs out, if the filter hasn't had time to drain.

The filler cap is not threaded. I've seen people spin it for quite a while before realizing it just pulls out. :lol:

When pouring in oil, pour slowly and watch for backup. It drains slowly from the top end to the pan. Pour too fast, and you'll overflow.

If you put in about 5 quarts, it should appear full on the dipstick -- until after you start it. Once it's run long enough to fill the filter, it will be about 1/2 quart low. So you'll need to recheck and top it off. I generally pre-fill my filter before putting it on, but it's tricky covering the hole while trying to thread it on, without spilling much.

The drain plug has a washer on it. I've lost that more than once, and had to hunt through sooty old oil to find it.

That's about all I can think of.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:38 pm 

Thank you very much for all the info, JoeIsuzu! Appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:58 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Use a sharp object to punch a hole in the top of the old filter. Oil will drain out of the filter a lot quicker and will allow it to be removed without a ton of oil pouring all over the filter housing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OzarkDaredevil wrote:
Use a sharp object to punch a hole in the top of the old filter. Oil will drain out of the filter a lot quicker and will allow it to be removed without a ton of oil pouring all over the filter housing.

Absolutely. I usually do that several hours before changing the oil, and while the engine is still warm. I always have this nagging fear that I'll forget and drive it that way. :esurprised I've gone as far as putting something on my steering wheel as a reminder. :lol:

Jack