LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New owner
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm 

Just purchased a mint 1980 Luv Mikado on eBay. 4 speed and very cold air conditioning. Only 86,000 miles and all original.

I had no idea that used parts appear to be few and far between.

For starters I need a driver's or passenger's seat belt receptacle. Just the receptacle. Also I need a dome light fixture.

Does anyone have any info on where to find items such as these? I never have any luck with the "parts finder" websites. They are a total waste of time.

Thanks

Attachments:
File comment: My "new" Luv
Luv 2.jpg
Luv 2.jpg [ 477.9 KiB | Viewed 3485 times ]
 Post subject: Re: New owner
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:34 am 

That's probably one of the nicest 1980 examples in the country right now so well bought. I'm afraid to get the parts you mentioned you are looking at combing the "pick and pull" lots, flea markets and car shows. If you are east coast then Carlisle PA is still the best, check their schedule of shows and swaps. Once in a while this stuff shows up on Ebay as well from a Taiwanese manufacturer. Remember most of this stuff is the same as Isuzu Trooper or Faster or Ford Courier parts so if you include those in your internet searches it may open things up. Good luck that's a great little LUV.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:21 am 

Attachment:
Luv 10.jpg
Luv 10.jpg [ 394.24 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]
Attachment:
Luv 10.jpg
Luv 10.jpg [ 394.24 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]
More pics from a proud new owner. I bought it on ebay a couple weeks ago. From a small town in Ohio. Had it shipped to Florida. I could probably easily double my money here in the pickup-loving deep south.
The A/C system is incredible and is an absolute necessity here.
My latest discovery is a faulty headlight switch. It has an attached pigtail and I cannot find it anywhere. I am now waiting for delivery of a universal switch. I'll install the new switch and have lights without cutting any harness wires.
This car is very original and I plan to keep it that way.
Also I had one broken seat belt. Can't find those either. I ordered a new pair from a seat belt website. They are from a C-10 of the same year. The lady assured me they would work fine.
Maintaining originality will not always be easy/possible.
A new seat cover is next project.

Attachments:
Luv 8.jpg
Luv 8.jpg [ 386.14 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]
Luv 22.jpg
Luv 22.jpg [ 352.07 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]
Luv 6.jpg
Luv 6.jpg [ 455.66 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]
Luv 17.jpg
Luv 17.jpg [ 351.34 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:18 am 

What a super clean 1980 Luv! I purchased a used Chevrolet Luv Truck parts and illustration catalog off of ebay that has helped me greatly. With this info I could see what years fit my 1972. Some items will span from 1972-80 and others not. Don't know if it will help but thought I would mention it. Enjoy your new ride!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:45 pm 

While I have your attention, do you know anything about a headlight relay? I am replacing broken (and evidently no longer existent) dash switch. All the parts houses mistakenly think the switch is on the column. I need to know where the relay as I am having to convert to a new style universal switch. It should work but I need to know amp ratings in circuit.
I have a factory service manual coming my way (hopefully with circuit diagrams) but the fact that you can't find a headlight relay on Rock Auto site can't be good news.

Warren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

There is no headlight relay, but there is a thermal breaker on the top of the steering column right behind the speedometer.

Check with Phil Moschella on facebook in the Chevy Luv page. He has quite a bit of hard to find parts for these trucks - primarily because he's in Australia and they had a lot more of them there. He has really reasonable shipping rates and is REALLY prompt at getting orders out. I've bought from him 3 times now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:40 am 

Not having a relay for headlights is not good. The old OEM switch handled two independent circuits (tails and headlights). The new switches won't. I would have to power virtually all the lighting from the single 18 AWG red wire to switch. Sounds dangerous to me. Will probably run another heavier gauge wire straight from battery to switch (fused of course).

Also, every reference source says the truck has a column-mounted headlight switch. I beg to differ. This is probably why you can't find the OEM replacement for the in-dash switches.

Looks like keeping truck all original is going to be next to impossible. I think I'm facing a future of replacing obsolete devices with substitute devices. Fortunately I spent thirty two years working as a process controls tech in a few major power generation stations so the wiring part shouldn't be an issue.

My factory service manual should be arriving any day now. I am hoping it has detailed wiring diagrams (i.e. wire colors included).

Also, is there any way to contact the gentleman in Australia outside of Facebook? I have been avoiding FB like the plague for years. I would absolutely like to get in touch with him.

At least I can drive the truck in the daytime (excluding any typical Florida thunderstorms).

Also FYI - all four of my vehicles are from the 80's, all very nice drivers and all with antique license plates.

Have a good day Sir,

Warren

Attachments:
Cars 10.jpg
Cars 10.jpg [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 3385 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Having owned many LUV’s I have never had a issue with the headlamp switch. Is it possible your connections were dirt causing resistance and requiring too many amps? It’s possible it has happened before but I can’t remember the last time if any that someone else had this issue. It happens with ignition switches but that’s usually owners adding on accessories and tapping directly into the hot wire off of the ignition switch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:18 pm 

Nah, contacts are totally open when they should be closed. I wish I knew of a company who can restore these types of switches. I have searched without success.
I've worked with switches of all types during my career and there's usually no easy fix. I still may take it apart and see if I get lucky and it is something fixable.

So I guess no luck on the contact info for Australian friend?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:19 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I finally remembered I had an invoice from him in paypal. Here's his contact info.

Attachments:
phil.png
phil.png [ 29.79 KiB | Viewed 3342 times ]