LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm 

This is the first time I've pulled a speedometer gear. My speedometer hasn't worked since I bought the truck. The previous owner installed a digital speedometer and sender. It looked like transmission fluid is leaking from the speedometer sender so I thought it might have damaged it. I pulled the digital sender, hooked it up to a meter and spun it with a drill and it looks like it's still working. So next I pulled out the speedometer gear and noticed it's worn. My question is, do you think this amount of wear could stop it from spinning?

Anyone bought an after market gear? I'm not finding anything for luv/isuzu on google. Searched the forum and saw a thread over at 4x4wire with these isuzu part numbers but nothing coming up:

http://4x4wire.com/forums/ubbthreads.ph ... 984/1.html

8944733080 16 Teeth
8970120851 17 Teeth
8944733040 18 Teeth
8944733031 19 Teeth
8944733021 20 Teeth

There is a 16 tooth gear on ebay but I have a 6x17 gear

Attachments:
gear2.jpg
gear2.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 5166 times ]
gear1.jpg
gear1.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 5166 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I can get you the factory part numbers but I highly doubt you will find them on the shelf anymore. Like I was hinting on Facebook you need to figure out that Trans you have, post pics of it to help us help you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:36 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Isuzu had a problem with the speedometer cable pulling transmission oil all the way up to the instrument cluster.

I’m curious what rear end your truck has, that requires a 6x17. I’ll ask my main Isuzu supplier if he has access to this part.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:21 pm 

I have a 1972 truck with 72 rear end and suspension. A g180 motor was dropped in and it looks like a 4x4 transmission (it has a 4x4 transfer case and I can see where the 4x4 shifter would normally extend out. The 6x17 gear is just what I pulled out I have no idea if it's correct, I haven't had a working speedometer to look at accuracy (and transmission, gears is all new to me I'm trying to figure it out as I go). Do I need to find the specific model year for the transmission? I was poking thru the Haynes manual and master parts catalog and it looks like they're similar 9-12?

I'm a little confused which gear is correct I'm seeing conflicting info on forum/master parts list. Does my 72 rear axel change anything? i still have the stock rims and put a comparable sized tire to the original 27x8.50 R14LT that came on it (expensive!)

Attachments:
File comment: From Master Parts list
Clipboard Image.jpg
Clipboard Image.jpg [ 35.31 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
IMG_0146_proc.jpg
IMG_0146_proc.jpg [ 445.69 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
IMG_0145_proc.jpg
IMG_0145_proc.jpg [ 568.27 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
IMG_0144_proc.jpg
IMG_0144_proc.jpg [ 488.13 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
IMG_0143_proc.jpg
IMG_0143_proc.jpg [ 626.52 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

was thinking maybe the 1972 Gear drive was put in but I have the 72 and 76 shop manuals which call for 5x17 and 6x20 respectively.

Searching the forum someone else pulled a 6x17 drive gear from a 79 so I'm thinking previous owner just brought this one over with the transmission.

Attachments:
File comment: 1976 Gear drive from shop manual
1976 gear_proc.jpg
1976 gear_proc.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 5154 times ]
File comment: 1972 Gear drive from shop manual
1972 gear_proc.jpg
1972 gear_proc.jpg [ 708.47 KiB | Viewed 5154 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:41 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Isuzu had a problem with the speedometer cable pulling transmission oil all the way up to the instrument cluster.

I’m curious what rear end your truck has, that requires a 6x17. I’ll ask my main Isuzu supplier if he has access to this part.

Jack

Jack- 6x17 driven gear was stock for a series 8-10 LUV with auto trans, which had 3.73 gears. Manual trans with 4.10 gears used a 6x20. When I went from stock 27"-28" tires to 31" tires I swapped in an auto trans 17-tooth gear to get my speedo back almost correct.
OP apparently has a 4x4 MSG tranny swapped in, which should have had a 6x20 speedo gear. Who knows why it has a 6x17, maybe to correct the speedo for a different tire size like I did?
Was the speedo correct with the 6x17 gear and the current tire size? If not was the speedo reading fast or slow? To read faster use a gear with fewer teeth, slower a gear with more teeth.
I have bought speedo gears from JLEMOND in the past, they were about $25 each, may be more now. They come in 16 through 20 teeth & maybe 15 & 21 tooth as well.

I think a '72 LUV had 4.56 gears & used about 26"-27" tires, which would account for the 5x17 speedo gear listed in the specs. I'm basing this on the fact that I have three MSG-5 Trooper trannies that have 5x15 speedo gears which corrected the speedo for 4.56 gears & 29" tires.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 pm 

Thanks for the great information! Do you think the damage to my speedo gear would account for it not working? The Speedometer has never worked while I had the truck, been putting this fix off. I think at this point I will message JLEMOND and see if he still has anything for sale because I can't find anything on google/ebay/online currently.
Once I get something in I can determine if I need to go up or down - thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:15 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

The gear definitely needs replaced, whether that's the cause of the speedo failure- maybe.
I would see if it meshes with the drive gear in the tranny to make sure there isn't something wrong internally: separate the driven gear from the cable, insert into the tranny, then with the tranny in neutral & the rear wheels off the ground turn the driveshaft by hand, see if the end of the speedo gear at least tries to spin. It may try to turn a bit, then quit when the worn nylon teeth slip past the drive gear teeth. You may not can get sufficient speed turning the driveshaft by hand, if you must try idling the truck in gear, but use proper safety precautions. If the gear doesn't try to turn at all then a new gear might not fix the problem. If the gear tries to spin then I would replace with a new gear. If your truck has 4.56 gears and you tires are close to stock size listed on the door pillar I would first try a 6x17 gear, see how close the speedo reads. You can adjust the accuracy with both different speedo gears or different tire diameters. Remember, you can only get so close, & only for a short while: the speedo accuracy will change by as much as 4% as your tire tread wears.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:17 pm 
Addicted to LUV

When I got my 4x4 the speedometer didn't work. The truck came with a new cable so I put it on and still nothing. So I pulled the gear out and it looked like yours but way worse. The gear was seized in the housing. I got it freed up and took one from one of my parts trucks. Works great now.

Sometimes too much to drink isn't enough!!
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
http://www.wildluvracing.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:50 pm 

Thanks for the reply - I tried to find a replacement but didn't find anything (messaged a couple people on other forums, looked onlline). Previous owner put in an autometer speedometer and attached a digital sender to the speedometer gear. The nut size on that sender wasn't metric and again I couldn't find a metric sender that would fit properly so I just threw in the towel and plugged the hole on the transmission where the gear goes with something I found at Oreiley's (rubber gasket between two washers with a bolt through the center that compresses and expands as it's tightened to plug hole) and purchased an autometer GPS sender that just hooks directly to the speedometer, boom done. I don't have much experience working on cars, this is my first project. It would be easier if every time I went to work on something it hadn't been hacked together