LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 79 4x4 options
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:35 am 

Hello everyone, I recently picked up a 79 4X4. Unfortunately the motor was no good. :x
I would like to fix this thing up: new motor/trans, interior, rims tires etc. Looking for more power and better top speed. I have a good budget $$

1. Can I upgrade the trans to a 5spd 4x4? After reading swap threads I am only confused.lol. I have access to a 88 Trooper.

2. Does anyone have a good source for building Isuzu motors? I could purchase a long block and source the rest from salvage?

3. If anyone with good knowledge would like to help me out with this build, I will pay you for your time. :D

Thanks Neal
Gardnerville Nv

Post subject: Re: 79 4x4 options
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 am 

I see they made a Pup 2.3 with 4x4. With the right year Pup could like rebuild the motor and swap everything over?
(motor, trans driveline, rear end)

Thanks Neal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:03 am 

I am stating to wrap my head around this build. If I have the right year 4x4 trooper/pup/amigo with cable clutch you could swap motors, trans, power steering and rear end :D It would require a little massaging of course.

Has anyone done this with a hydraulic clutch trans? It would be nice if this would work as it seems a lot easier to find a 2.6 with hydraulic than the cable.

Neal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:23 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

From what I understand the older Series 1-5 had hydraulic clutches. In fact, the embossing for the bolt holes is still there in the later Series 8-10, just not drilled out.

So, you drill the holes, mount the slave cylinder and pipe the 2.6's slave to it and you have a hydro clutch. Might need the older series' pedal assemblies. That I'm not sure of. Possibly just the pedal and connecting rod?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:55 pm 

Ok, I am thinking 2.6 bolted up to my 4sp trans and change the ring and pinion to get a little better top end.
Does this sound reasonable?

What ration ring should I look for?

Thanks Neal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:17 pm 

Oh boy, just read that you have to change both front and back ratios at the same time...duh :ebiggrin

Back to the drawing board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:19 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

nealcain wrote:
Oh boy, just read that you have to change both front and back ratios at the same time...duh :ebiggrin

Back to the drawing board

Your LUV has 4.10 gears, the only other gears available for your 8-bolt front is 4.56 ratio, so leave your stock gears alone, go with larger diameter tires to change the effective final drive ratio to something more highway friendly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:25 pm 

Ok will do. I just installed 225/65/17 they were supposed to be 29in but I just measured them at 27 3/4. I am glad they are only 27 3/4 if they were any bigger I would really have a problem with the front fenders. Fenders need a little trimming as is.

Attachments:
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0692.JPG [ 104.58 KiB | Viewed 14899 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 am 

I found a 88 Trooper w/2.6 at pick&pull but honestly I dont think I have what it takes to pull the motor. It would hard enough at home much less a pick&pull.
I found a couple of long block 2.6 on the interweb...my question is are all 2.6 going to work or do I need to stay in a year range and what else do I need to know to get the right block?

I really need the right advise as to not get the wrong block!!!

Thanks Neal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 pm 

There are two different series of 2.6s: '88-'91 had hemi heads & near flat top pistons; '93-'96 had small chamber heads & deep heart-shaped dish pistons. Each series also had emissions differences. Externally they are the same & each head/piston combo yielded the same compression & power numbers.
All 2.6s are EFI, to use in your LUV you will need a complete 2.3 intake, carb & distributor. Your LUV electric fuel pump will work fine. You'll also need the flywheel & engine plate from a 2.3 engine, which will accept your stock 8.5" clutch. the exhaust needs to be for a 2.6 or 2.3, either stock cast iron or a Pacesetter header. The 2.6/2.3 distributor is located on the extreme right rear of the head, you'll have to bend back or trim the firewall to clear. Make sure the donor engine is from a 4x4 truck, a 2wd oil pan will not clear your front drive axle. You'll need 2.6 motor mounts & may have to mod the way they bolt to the truck. Some wiring mods will be required, the sensors & the like are in different locations than on the 1.8 engine.
Before you do much fender trimming you might want to consider lifting the truck, it will lessen rubbing. Turn the T-bars 1-revolution per 1/4" lift to raise the front, add a leaf to the rear, get an alignment afterwards. 3" or more lift is possible, ride quality degrades with lift, especially over 2"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:38 pm 

That info was just what I needed..Thanks oldestisuzuist

I think I will have Reynolds in Bakersfield build me a motor.

I have to ask why not just bolt up a weber to a 2.6 intake?

Are all the headers the same 88-91 & 93-96 on 2.6? I found a Stainless header for A 2.6 from 88-91.

Thanks Neal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

nealcain wrote:
Thanks Neal

Primarily because (IIRC) all the 2.6's were fuel injection. No place to bolt a Weber carb to. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:28 am 

Mickey_D wrote:
nealcain wrote:
Thanks Neal

Primarily because (IIRC) all the 2.6's were fuel injection. No place to bolt a Weber carb to. :D

Same reason you can't use a 2.6 dizzy, they were computer controlled & slaved to the EFI, a 2.3 dizzy isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:40 pm 

Hello guys, I made some progress and pulled the motor :D
I picked up a set of 2.6 headers with 1.5 primary and 2.5 outlet. Should I run 2.25 or 2.5 from header to tailpipe?
Does anyone make a 2.6 pipe and muffler kit for Chevy Luv with a 2.6 or is it custom only?

Thanks all for helping me put the pieces together

Neal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am 

General consensus is you will lose a bit of low end torque going from 2.25" to 2.5" exhaust, the 2.6 needs a certain amount of backpressure to produce the best low end.
Seems to me you could use 2.5", then use a 2.25" restrictor at the tailpipe exit to test each size & see which actually produces the best power curve.
Whichever size you choose it will be totally custom, stock exhaust for 2.6-equiped trucks was 2", any pre-fab'd kits for a LUV would be 1.5" and wouldn't include a header connection.
Before settling on an exhaust size take a close look at how the LUV exhaust will route after it exits the header collector: stock routing goes through a hole in a frame crossmember, this hole may not be large enough or positioned correctly for oversized pipe & running the pipe below the crossmember will lead to damage off-road.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:57 am 

Ha fellas, I have been down with that nasty Flu :esad . Feeling better and eager to put this truck back on the road.

I would like to pick up a new clutch and will need motor mounts.
What is the recommended clutch for this combo?

Are all 2.6 mounts the same or is there a mount that will bolt up with out mods?

Thanks for your great Luv wisdom :ewink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 am 

nealcain wrote:
Ha fellas, I have been down with that nasty Flu :esad . Feeling better and eager to put this truck back on the road.

I would like to pick up a new clutch and will need motor mounts.
What is the recommended clutch for this combo?

Are all 2.6 mounts the same or is there a mount that will bolt up with out mods?

Thanks for your great Luv wisdom :ewink

The clutch depends on what flywheel you're going to use. A 2.3 flywheel, engine plate & matching clutch should fit your 4sp tranny fine, the clutch will be an upgrade to a 8.5" from the stock 8". To use the 2.6 flywheel and 9.5" clutch you'll have to space the tranny back a bit for the clutch to clear the bellhousing- use two 2.3 engine plates sandwiched together or the thicker 2.6 engine plate. The 2.3 engine plates may or may not have special features for the clutch cable routing, the 2.6 plate for sure won't. A 2.3 engine (and a 1.8 engine) has a bracket to hold the clutch cable end near the bellhousing, a 2.6 engine doesn't since it uses a hydraulic clutch mounted on the opposite side of the tranny. You'll need to see if a 2.3 clutch cable bracket will bolt to the 2.6 engine or fabricate something that will work.
As to motor mounts they should bolt up, but you never really know until you try them.
Remember you will also need a 2.3 carb, intake & distributor to replace those parts on the EFI 2.6 engine. You will also need anything that externally bolts to the 2.6 engine- all accessories & brackets, fan, fan shroud- they're all different between the two styles of engines.
Your radiator will need to be in excellent condition to handle the extra heat of the larger engine, have yours professionally boiled out & rodded or replace with a new one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm 

Ok great, I picked up the 2.3 flywheel and plate so I need to get the 8.5 clutch.

I am thinking of modding the front and putting in a bigger radiator.

What about the engine mounts?

Thanks Neal