LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 pm 

Good evening Gentlemen,

I have officially jumped off the deep end and probably dreaming bigger than my pocket book can go...

I recently bought an intact and running 4ZC1-T out of an '89 Isuzu Impulse, when I bought it I grabbed all of the wiring harness and computers to go with it, expect the gauges (which now I know might have been a bad idea...)

I am about to purchase a '87 Isuzu trooper 4x4 5speed here in the next few weeks for the transmission and rear end. Possibly might keep a few other parts like the A-arms and drive line. But she also has a running 2.3L 4ZD1.

My dilemma is whether or not to leave the 2.0L alone; or punch out the 2.3L to a 2.6L, throw all the forged internals into it, and try to figure out all the tuning to make one bad arse little rig...

As far as I know the internals are all the same from the 4ZC1 to the 4ZE1, so parts should be easy to find and to swap. But that's where I need you guys. Is this correct?

The easy way to go about this is just to build up the 2.0L and call it a day, but if I'm going custom anyways... Might as well go big...

What do you guys thing? Am I crazy? Is it feasible?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

You can't "punch out" the 2.3 to make a 2.6, different block/pistons/rods/cranks. Externals like heads/intakes/exhausts/distributors/accessories will interchange.
The 2.0 4ZC1 is a 2.3 4ZD1 with a smaller bore & stroke so the "forged internals" will only give you a 2.0L engine.
The turbo head, intake, exhaust & electronics will fit to either a 2.3 or 2.6 lower end for a larger displacement turbo engine.
A '93-0n 2.6 with the deep dish pistons would probably be the best choice, the lower initial compression will work better when under boost.
If you still have access to parts from the Turbo Impulse it should also have a factory LSD rear end in 3.92 ratio. To use it in your 4x4 you'll need to add a thrust block & swap the LSD carrier to your LUV gears.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm 

Thank you! That was very informative, I was unaware the 4ZE1 was a different block, I assumed it was a variation of bore and stroke. And thank you for clarifying the differences between the 4ZC1 and the 4ZD1, that made my decision much easier.

I am choosing to stick with the 2.0L 4ZC1. In the mean time, I will keep the 2.3L 4ZD1 mated to the 5speed transmission while I rebuild both the turbo and the 4ZC1.

Once I get around to it, I will start a build thread.

Thank you for the help!