LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

If you still need it--the serial/ID # for the 78 dizzy is 0291003281.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:27 pm 

Thanx a lot I appreciate it. now I can call the catalog in without sounding totally ignorant. =)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:25 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Eyesore, which way did you install the magnetic sleeve. Slits up or slits down. Instructions say to install with the numbers up. Mine has numbers on both sides. I plan on installing this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:41 pm 

Bringing back and Old thread for some help. I bought the Pertronix 1643 from Amazon last year and trying to install it now but have no instructions and I don't know much about automobile electronics at all, so far it has been pretty much straight forward, remove cap rotor, disconnect the wires remove the points plate, 2 screws - 3 if you count the ground wire but that will be reinstalled, and the other single phillip screw that was holding a tiny tension mount that contacted the distributor shaft next to the points. I cleaned the surface where the new 1643 ignitor plate was to be installed then installed it with the 2 screws making sure to reinstall the ground wire on one of the two screws. I routed the new black and red wires from the ignitor inside and around the distributor housing through and out of the original white electrical screw gourmet. At this point I am stuck, how is the black plastic magnetic ring that is provided supposed to be installed? slits up or slits down? the hole on the side with the slits is a little smaller than the side without. I tried to install it slits up by pushing it as far down as I can but then the bottom of the magnetic ring rubs the ignitor plate mounting screws and when the rotor is installed it is difficult to turn the shaft, the rotor contact is pushing up on the distributor cap and causing the cap tp move or dislodge, also the magnet ring top sits lower than the top of the ignitor housing so that setup can't be correct, correct? I also noticed on youtube a install that the magnetic ring was installed with the big hole faced up and the rotor fit over the shaft like usual but into that black magnetic ring, this would seem to work but my rotor sleeve will not fit into the magnetic ring so with that set up there is no way to fit the distributor cap on. Can anyone help me with this. How do I install the black magnetic ring? slits installed facing up or down? is the top of the black magnetic ring supposed to be flush with the top of the ignitor housing? BTW the new ignitor housing is slightly higher then the distributor housings edge, could I have been sent the wrong magnetic ring? being that there is no way of making these parts fit vertically no matter how I install the magnetic ring unless I dermal the tops of the ignitor plate mounting screws and push the ring further down, but then the top of the magnetic ring won't be flush with the ignitor housing, at least half inch lower. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Following

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:50 pm 

Hello could someone that has done the Pertronix electronic ignition conversion with coil (no resistor) please help me out. I took my distributor to a auto electronics shop, he installed the parts had me look at the unit functioning while on his tester machine, it worked fine as I could see the spark as he rotated the distributor gear so half my battle is over now that I know it is functioning properly. Now I have a wiring issues and need some visual help with. Before I took out the distributor, old coil and resistor, I took extensive close up pictures of the parts and wiring so I could refer back to them during the reinstall but unfortunately the phone that I used to take the pictures was stollen so now that I want to reinstall I have zero pictures to help me out and since it has been over 8 months since I started I can't even begin to remember what wire goes where, I wish I had also marked the wires but stupid me I didn't. Would someone please post a few pictures of your coil and distributor with a visual of where the hooked up wires are please. Im totally not a electronics guy at all so the more detailed pictures the better, pictures for super greenhorns. I have a total of 4 wires in the general area, first one closest to the passenger fender well is coming out of the wiring bundle case and is black/yellow stripe the next two are coming out of the same wire bundle casing but about 6 inches further down, one is black/blue stripe and the other is black/red stripe, the last one is further down on the same wire bundle but passes through a white plastic electrical connector before it comes out in the bundle and its also Black/red stripe. Lastly, what is the red wire that comes off the positive battery terminal wire bundle and connects too a small rectangle 2 prong screw box on the fender, the second prong connector has nothing attached too it, this red wire is visible in my pictures. Could someone please tell me which wire go where and explain it too me as if I'm a total nob, in this situation I totally am so no worries. Thanks in advance, the help will be greatly appreciated.These pictures are of the engine bay taken from the passenger side front fender, the distributor and coil are not in the picture nor are any wires from them.
Attachment:
image1-2.JPG
image1-2.JPG [ 140 KiB | Viewed 6346 times ]
Attachment:
image1.JPG
image1.JPG [ 142.9 KiB | Viewed 6346 times ]
Attachment:
image2.JPG
image2.JPG [ 140.08 KiB | Viewed 6346 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:16 pm 

Any help would be appreciated :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:22 pm 

I'm trying too figure out which wire I have pictured is my ignition power, non of the ones I have pictured have power with key on or off, only the little square 2 pole box with the red wire coming from the battery mounted on the fender( see it in the picture) has power with key on or off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

3 wires in play here. Black with red tracer goes to coil negative. Black with blue tracer foes to coil positive, this comes from the relay supplying power while cranking. Black with yellow tracer is key on power, it goes to the ballast resistor, another wire from the other side of the resistor goes to the positive side of the coil. This is the stock set up, don't ask me for pictures because the only stock I own is a lawn mower.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 pm 

Luvrv8 wrote:
3 wires in play here. Black with red tracer goes to coil negative. Black with blue tracer foes to coil positive, this comes from the relay supplying power while cranking. Black with yellow tracer is key on power, it goes to the ballast resistor, another wire from the other side of the resistor goes to the positive side of the coil. This is the stock set up, don't ask me for pictures because the only stock I own is a lawn mower.

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 pm 

greencaravan wrote:
Luvrv8 wrote:

That Blk/yellow was the wire I needed for power from ignition. The Pertronix with coil is just a positive negative hook up with the Blk/yellow ignition wire you told me, I hooked it up and it runs! Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:45 pm 

greencaravan wrote:
greencaravan wrote:
Luvrv8 wrote:

That Blk/yellow was the wire I needed for power from ignition. The Pertronix with coil is just a positive negative hook up with the Blk/yellow ignition wire you told me, I hooked it up and it runs! Thank you

So just making sure you hooked up the black with yellow wire to the positive terminal on your coil?
Installing my pertronix kit today and getting rid of ballast resistor as well!