LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

How many miles after engine rebuild before I should change theoil?
Has anything changed on using 20w 30 in the transmission, like synthetic?

For the life of me I can't remember if the rear end takes gear grease?

Trying to cover my base?

Did a rebuild kit on the lock hubs. Standard grease proper?
Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:13 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

i changed the oil on my rebuild right after initial break in then again after about 500 miles. now im every 3000 miles or so. i use 5w30. I use the same 5w30 in my manual tranny. As far as the rear end i use mobile 1 synthetic 75w90 gear oil.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I'd change the oil after 2 or 3 heat cycles. Conventional oil is best for break-in. After that, synthetic or synthetic blend works fine. A second oil change would be a good idea after about 1,000 miles. Buy the best filters you can find.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I was told to use straight 30wt non-detergent for break in and then whatever when I had a new rebuild. I use 15w40 in mine. I believe the trans is supposed to use 10w40 but anything close to that would be fine I think. Anything close to 90wt for the diff. and regular wheel bearing grease for the front hubs. (I could be wrong on the hubs, not positive.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:58 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I put 10/40 Castrol after a few errands. Using same next thousand. Thinking of synthetic blend after. Idiot mechanic thought he knew better than his boss, and didn't put 10w 30w in tranny as requested. He got to change it again on his lunch break. Changes gears like it's supposed to.

Balance and rotate plus shocks today. New exaust next week.

Getting there.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:55 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

"Did a rebuild kit on the lock hubs. Standard grease proper?"
Oil the locking hubs only, if you pack them with grease it will stiffen with age & when cold to the point the internal springs can't overcome the resistance & the hubs will quit working. A very light coating of grease on the axle splines maybe won't hurt but oil is fine there also.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:17 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

oldestisuzuist wrote:
"Did a rebuild kit on the lock hubs. Standard grease proper?"
Oil the locking hubs only, if you pack them with grease it will stiffen with age & when cold to the point the internal springs can't overcome the resistance & the hubs will quit working. A very light coating of grease on the axle splines maybe won't hurt but oil is fine there also.

All those freezing mornings in the deer woods, no wonder it was difficult to turn the selector!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:55 pm 

I use conventional Valvoline VR1 racing oil 10w-30. Luvs have an older engine that was designed when oil used ZDDP as an additive, most modern engine oils do not contain enough ZDDP. Valvoline VR1 racing has the highest content of ZDDP you can get, not the synthetic... the conventional stuff. Most modern oils use moly instead of ZDDP, which is great for roller cams... but not good for flat tappet cams. Delo 10w-30 blend is also a good choice with ZDDP, not as much as the VR1 though.

My luv leaks no engine oil, and uses none for 3k+ miles. I usually run over 3k miles a little on my oil... I go off of the condition, color, and smell of the oil. Most car manufacturers recommend 5k mile oil changes, its in most owners manuals. I should state I have about 40k miles on a rebuilt engine, was a bearing pump and ring job... same pistons.

Every other engine oil change, I change the transmission fluid. I use the Delo 10w-30 synthetic blend in that. The $6 harbor freight multi use pumps makes this so easy, and the delo oil is $15 or less for a 5 quart jug.

1980 mikado 4x4.