phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Modernize or restore
Modernize 71%  71%  [ 10 ]
Restore 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:28 pm 

Well a little about myself. Been gearhead since day one. I am a chevy guy. I have 10 vehicles currently 7 of which are chevy. 3 of them are solid axle swaped, I have done to many solid axle swaps to count. I'made mainly an offroad guy however I do appreciate a good lowrider. I just bought first luv I have always had s10 never been huge luv guy but liked them. Enough about me now truck.

1976 chevy luv 4x4 with low manufacturing 4wd kit. It was 1 owner truck. Guy bought it new and drove 9.7 to shop and had low manufacturing kit installed. Truck needs some tlc been sitting but runs. Very minimal rust. I'll try to post pictures may have to embed them somehow. Truck was factory lime green and bed is in amazing shape. I bought it with thoughts of restoring it however I'm not to sure what to do yet. These were few and far. problem I have is it would be useless restored. It drives like dump truck suspension has no give they did what they could back then however I look at this thing and cringe at the parts setup as far as springs hangers ect.. Im afraid if I modernize it will upset some and devalue the truck any input on this?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:34 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I vote modernize. Realistically, they aren't worth much stock, unless it is a super primo example...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Modernize it. Some get pissed when I say this but these trucks were cheap throw away trucks when new. Somehow many made it past what they were supposed to last. Make it your way now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:33 pm 

I'm with you guys there just making sure there wasn't a following that would freak if I did modernize it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Welcome

Nice truck, I have been watching it on CL for a while. It's pretty clean for the PNW. If I was lucky enough to get it I would just restore it a little bit. Clean scrape and paint the chassis and replace what it needs. Low MFG was a good aftermarket company back in the day and the fact that it's still around proves it.
Sure you could dump a ton of cash and parts into it, but it is what it is. The factory 4x4s came out a year or 2 after but in my opinion I'd rather have a Low Mfg kit with the straight axle. It was never made to be a serious 4 wheeler by today's standards but rather a fun ride. I'd say shine it up and enjoy it. 8)

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:37 pm 

It was not an original pnw truck is why. I gather what your saying an that's why I'm torn. Your definition of fun and mine must be different lol. 1" leaf springs and LOTS of welded items that should not be welded. like tcase crossmember and plenty of other stuff, idk that even a gravel road would be fun unless you want scoliosis.lol

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:22 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Hey only I'm allowed to have the green luv in the PNW! Where you from?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:08 pm 

I'm in yamhill, basically south of forest grove/ hillsboro. Haha yours a factory color also?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Onebigburb wrote:
I'm in yamhill, basically south of forest grove/ hillsboro. Haha yours a factory color also?

Nice! And I don't believe so. At least it didn't come from the factory this color. It is a "factory color" though, being as it's shannon green. We'll probably see eachother at some point driving around, I live in Vancouver and work in Portland haha.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 pm 

Winning, Rofl. :lol: . Definitely it will be a while before mine is road worthy :roll: . So for now your the only green on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 pm 
Addicted to LUV

That truck has a great stance. I see you are missing the back window. If you don't have it windows are around, I have a couple but the rubbers are hard to come by. There is a seller on EBay for new ones from another country or some have used a side rubber for a VW bus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:49 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Luvrv8 wrote:
Modernize it. Some get pissed when I say this but these trucks were cheap throw away trucks when new. Somehow many made it past what they were supposed to last. Make it your way now

My 79 4x4 had 170K on it when I bought it, dead stock. I totally abused it when hunting. I literally cleared river cane trails with the truck. I added oil weekly. Body literally rusted off at 300K. Just saying.
I'm going some modern on my new 79 rebuild. Weber carb so far. I wanted electronic distributor kit. Not to be paranoid, but would an EMP fry it? Just curious. Nice truck!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

I agree on modernizing it. Tbey arent worth much unless they are a pristine barn find with very low miles in perfect shape. May as well just make it how you want it like most of us have. Value to me isbthe fun to be had in it more so than trying to squeeze a few more dollars of sale price out of it
Doesnt look too bad. You can probably leave all thr axles. Transfer case etc alone and just worry about suspension and some new tires since those are probably way too old to be safe anymore
Nice truck and welcome to the forum

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 am 

I have back window an rubber. Guy took it out when it was new he had custom canopy, I already installed it back in. The interior is shot as most are. I'm not really looking to get more money or sell it even. Yes emp would fry it lol. I as well am looking into distributor upgrade. No one says weather or not the later trooper one is a hei style an would like to go that route for cleanlyness (sp?). Your right on that axles an t-case stay. Suspension, tires, interior, power steering all need to be revamped. Motor and transmission will stay for now with upgrades. Thanks guys for the input, welcoming, and complements. There is some nice rigs on here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Holy crap someone did the power steering conversion too? Man you are set
Early trooper is electronic so yes i assume its what youd call hei. Does away with the points which is always a plus.
Is it still a 4 speed or did someone sneak a 5 speed in too?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:22 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I would LUV power steering. Had my neck fused, and lost a lot of left arm strength.
That's way over my head, and seems like not so easy for a shade tree. Nice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:51 am 
Addicted to LUV

You would be surprised. Worst part is matinf the stock steering shaft to the trooper steering box which has been done a few ways. The rest is basic bolt on from a trooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:39 pm 

Not sure if I had typo in last post. No power steering I'm doing that conversion now. H.e.i. means high energy ignition. So the coil is built into distributor. I ordered all the parts for trooper distributor conversion. The power steering is wicked easy ( I posted up on modified about my trip to junk yard and other drop in box's available). The steering shafts is no biggie. I would highly advise against welding it. They make conversion spline u joints for that. Never weld to steering if your on public road ways. That is an argument for another thread. O ya it is a 5spd.:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Got ya. Yo said revamp and ps was on the list so i thought it may already have it and just need new lines etc
I dont have all that fancy power steering and ac stuff :lol:
Yeah power steering is very easy since the trooper is the same basic chassis and engine layout
Man. Somebody did all the good stuff for yoy on that one you found a heck of a good starting point