LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:06 pm 

I know these answers are likely on here somewhere, but I've been reading stuff for about 3 days and my head hates me for it. My project is an '80 4x4 Luv that I want to drop an '82 diesel engine into.My questions are these:

1. The diesel is from a 2wd. Did the diesel have a different oil pan for the 4x4 to clear the front axle like the gas engines did? Basically, will it clear, or should I consider a Toyota straight axle swap to MAKE clearance?

2. Can I swap the bell housing guts from the gas 4 speed transmission to the diesel 5 speed housing and make it work with the same transfer case? If not, am I correct in understanding that a Trooper 2.3's transmission will work with the c223 diesel?

I'm sure I'm forgetting something else, but currently that's all I've got. Thanks to anyone who can help, and to everyone here for the wealth of info available!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

makeshiftknight wrote:
1. The diesel is from a 2wd. Did the diesel have a different oil pan for the 4x4 to clear the front axle like the gas engines did? Basically, will it clear, or should I consider a Toyota straight axle swap to MAKE clearance?
Yes, the 4x4 diesel had a different oil pan. I'm not familiar enough with the SAS conversion to tell you if that would give you clearance. All I know is, it won't work with the stock suspension and driveline.
makeshiftknight wrote:
2. Can I swap the bell housing guts from the gas 4 speed transmission to the diesel 5 speed housing and make it work with the same transfer case? If not, am I correct in understanding that a Trooper 2.3's transmission will work with the c223 diesel?
Let me see if I understand this correctly. Your gas transmission is 4x4 (and of course, 4-speed). Your diesel transmission is 2wd/5-speed. If that's correct, the diesel bell housing will fit some (or most) 4-speeds, allowing you to end up with a 4-speed 4x4 transmission mated to the diesel. Some of the 4-speeds had four bolts on the input bearing cover inside the bell housing--those won't work. Others had six bolts--those work with the diesel transmission, because it has the six-bolt pattern. Here's a photo of the cover with six bolts.
Attachment:
Bell_housing_6_bolt_cover.jpg
Bell_housing_6_bolt_cover.jpg [ 141.63 KiB | Viewed 12100 times ]

If you're trying to end up with a 5-speed, then you can definitely use the diesel bell housing on the Trooper 2.3 transmission. The four-bolt vs. six-bolt bearing cover isn't an issue with those.

Jack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:54 am 

Thanks a bunch. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a Toyota then. Or maybe I can find a 4x4 diesel pan. Off the wall thought: would anything keep a person from making Ann adaptor plate that bolts to the diesel pan location, and then allows use of the gas 4x4 oil pan?

So, the diesel should meet my current transmission as long as I'm ok with a 4 speed and have the 6 bolt? No starter location problems?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:05 pm 
Addicted to LUV

makeshiftknight wrote:
Thanks a bunch. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a Toyota then. Or maybe I can find a 4x4 diesel pan.
Not just the pan--also the pump and pickup tube w/screen.
makeshiftknight wrote:
So, the diesel should meet my current transmission as long as I'm ok with a 4 speed and have the 6 bolt? No starter location problems?
Using the bell housing from the diesel transmission, yes. It has the starter bulge on the correct side for the Diesel engine.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:34 am 

I found a local scrap guy that says he has a 4x4 oil pan lower half. I've tried crawling under my truck and looking, but I can't tell, does it have a 2 part pan? And if so, will just the lower work?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 am 
Addicted to LUV

makeshiftknight wrote:
I found a local scrap guy that says he has a 4x4 oil pan lower half. I've tried crawling under my truck and looking, but I can't tell, does it have a 2 part pan? And if so, will just the lower work?

I'll see if my shop manual has any illustrations.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

The shop manual was no help. I have no experience with 4WD engines, so I really can't answer your question about oil pan differences. I know there are lots of people on IsuzuPup.com who would know the answer. I try not to refer people outside this site, but there's a larger base of diesel owners over there. You still need to be active here, because you won't find a better resource for your 1st gen LUV.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:11 am 

I'll check it out. Thanks for all your help. And I'll definitely be around here, I still have all the body work and interior to do also. It's a ground up build, I'm just gathering the parts right now.