LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Transmission for V8 Swap
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:47 am 

Hi

I am looking to do a v8 swap on a chevy luv. I have a question regarding the preferred transmission on a v8 swap. a lot of the completed v8 swapped luvs have automatic transmissions. is there a reason for that? I would prefer to have a manual transmission. Is it that the automatic transmissions are a better fit for the v8 swap? any knowledge here would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Finding headers that clear the torsion bars and the bellhousing of the transmission can be a challenge. When I was building mine I got the powerbyace headers and used a NV3500 manual and had to cut some of the bellhousing out to get it to clear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:52 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yep , Hookers and a powerglide are tight at the driverside collector . TH400 is physically larger than th350 and takes more power to turn . Well built th350 will handle the power . I have no experience with a manual trans .

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:18 pm 

I considered a manual transmission...I have a 5 speed behind a sbc in another car I was going to swap in.

A 4 speed Muncie would work and mechanical linkage can be adapted...but no overdrive.

I also considered an early Camaro 83-86 GM T-5 trans (had 1 and sold it) but the shifter would be back between the seats which is ok in a bucket seat truck, I have a bench though....plus they are weak.
that wont work for me

I decided on a 700R4 because I wanted a relaxing ride plus an auto is faster and easier on the drag strip...and also I figured I would have enough traction problems with the automatic! Light truck with a stick = no traction especially if it rains...

But if you got one laying around...I know there are a couple 4 speed swaps here. The stock hydraulic set up is easily adaptable too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

clarkeph wrote:
I considered a manual transmission...I have a 5 speed behind a sbc in another car I was going to swap in.

A 4 speed Muncie would work and mechanical linkage can be adapted...but no overdrive.

I also considered an early Camaro 83-86 GM T-5 trans (had 1 and sold it) but the shifter would be back between the seats which is ok in a bucket seat truck, I have a bench though....plus they are weak.
that wont work for me

I decided on a 700R4 because I wanted a relaxing ride plus an auto is faster and easier on the drag strip...and also I figured I would have enough traction problems with the automatic! Light truck with a stick = no traction especially if it rains...

But if you got one laying around...I know there are a couple 4 speed swaps here. The stock hydraulic set up is easily adaptable too.

I agree 700 is a good relaxed driving trans , but the 3,06 first is still gonna make it hard to hook up on a street tire unless you have a reasonable rear gear . Like 3,50 or so . Anything over say 9 to 1 first gear ratio is a lot of leverage on the rear tire .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:18 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

This is my LUV expertise I guess. So when I built my luv ( SBC BTW) I decided manual was the only option because it was already set up for it. My first manual was a Saginaw 4 speed (similar to a Muncie but not near as strong). I used the LUV hooker headers and what I believe to be a bellhousing from either a 4.3 v6 with standard trans or early 80's Camaro manual transmission bellhousing. I had to make an extended trans mount that basically resembles the stock LUV trans mount, just extended forward about 2 inches. That trans blew up so now I have a TKO 600 5 speed with the same mount, headers and SBC. Both trans required a hydraulic throw out bearing and I used a wilwood master cylinder to replace the stock hydraulic setup. I'll try and post pics if I can figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

luvnprogress wrote:
This is my LUV expertise I guess. So when I built my luv ( SBC BTW) I decided manual was the only option because it was already set up for it. My first manual was a Saginaw 4 speed (similar to a Muncie but not near as strong). I used the LUV hooker headers and what I believe to be a bellhousing from either a 4.3 v6 with standard trans or early 80's Camaro manual transmission bellhousing. I had to make an extended trans mount that basically resembles the stock LUV trans mount, just extended forward about 2 inches. That trans blew up so now I have a TKO 600 5 speed with the same mount, headers and SBC. Both trans required a hydraulic throw out bearing and I used a wilwood master cylinder to replace the stock hydraulic setup. I'll try and post pics if I can figure it out.

Please do post up pics because I am in the middle of swapping in a SBC and 4 spd Saginaw. Going to use the Speedway Speed Shop universal hydraulic throwout bearing and Wilwood master cylinder. Hoping that it's a pretty direct set up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:52 pm 

luvnprogress wrote:

Any chance, luvnprogress, that you could post some pictures of your setup? Contemplating all of the possible manual transmissions for small block Chevys as well. Thanks in advance!

1975 Luv, Street-Strip Build: in progress

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:10 pm 

I have used the TKO 600 in the past for a resto on my old 71 convertible Corvette LT1 383 sbc combo and it is an awesome trans. It transformed that car into a 75 mph freeway flyer and easy daily driver. (3.70 gears) sold it in 2010.
I do know that it is larger than a Muncie or a Saginaw trans and required trans tunnel mods for most cars. I cut/modded the tunnel in the vette.
Back in 2004 the TKO600 trans was about $1,600.00 wholesale cost to me, they have gone up in price.
I have a resale number in Cali but now in 2016 I could not get anyone to sell me one at a wholesale discounted price.
They are $2,395.00 everywhere....Summit/Jegs etc...but big, strong and excellent.
add in the hydraulic set up it's another $700+ or so with the pedal and clutch master cylinder, plus the slave cylinder or hydraulic T/O unit for the trans.
So I went with a rebuilt custom 700R4/4L60 for $1,550.00 complete with converter and 4th gear lock up.
Monster transmission has them with a good warranty. I used my local shop.

My 700R4 works well in the LUV/V8...if you have to have a manual 5 speed trans, on a budget and your not going to abuse it try a T5 from an early 82-85 V8 Camaro.
I bought one for $275.00 years ago on C/L and swapped It into my 69 Chevelle with a mild 350, bolted right to the Muncie bellhousing
and it did the job for 5 years, but it wont handle 300+ hp or a drag launch... I sold that T5 still working great on C/L to someone else...

I guess it all comes down to your budget, mine was and still is limited.

The picture shows the TKO on the right. My Chevelle in 2014, currently being restored

Attachments:
69vellesm.jpg
69vellesm.jpg [ 327.66 KiB | Viewed 7732 times ]
thM6E1OXF3.jpg
thM6E1OXF3.jpg [ 12.75 KiB | Viewed 7732 times ]