LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 am 

Hi all, I'm a new member, so forgive me if my topic has been covered elsewhere. I am the original owner of a '76 Luv which I haven't driven much in the past year. My Luv has about 160,000 miles on it, was in an accident back in '97 so it has a bit of a bent frame and a driver's side door that closes, but not perfectly. Other than a bit of rust and the need for a new seat, it is in good shape. It is 2 wheel drive, no a.c., standard equipment, had a new timing chain/water pump at 100,000 miles, and I replaced the head gasket at about 110,000 miles. I've done all of my own maintenance over the decades

The truck now needs a new gas pump and a good going over by my mechanic before I determine what its future holds. I will be moving from Minnesota to New Mexico in about five months.

My questions are:
1. Should I part the truck out?
2. A neighbor offered me $250 as is; I laughed at him and offered him a beer. Was that the proper response?
3. Is it worth replacing the fuel pump and other routine maintenance as a keeper? (I always said I'd be buried in that truck, but I'm personally not quit ready for that.)
4. If I fix it up, how much might the truck be worth in the S.W. U.S.?

Thanks for any info, Doug'M

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Welcome I think the repair is totally up to you.
If you should decide to repair it there is parts out here for it.
I have a few parts including a 76 bench seat but live in Indiana.
what ever you choose to do I wish you all the best with your decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:01 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Fuel pumps are cheap.

New Mexico is hot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:03 pm 

dseed69 and Drummerforhire, thanks for your responses. After I did a bit more research I found that the few hundred dollars someone has offered me for the truck is way too low. I agree that gas pumps are cheap and at least on my Luv really easy to get to. So, I am going to take the truck to my mechanic and have him give a good diagnostic check before replacing the pump and doing additional work on the truck.

While New Mexico is warm and I wish the truck had a.c., it was my only vehicle from 1976 'til 1997 during which time I lived in CA. Most of that was spent in the Central Valley near Sacramento where summer highs are often 105 to 110, so N.M. w/o a.c. will be a piece of cake.

Thanks again, Doug'M