LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
I have looked at pictures of a Isuzu diesel manual tranny and it does not look like it will come apart until its well past the throw out bearing.
Correct, it comes apart behind the throwout bearing. That's why I try to clarify, it doesn't look much like a bell housing--it's really the front half of the case.

Other than the starter placement, this case is just like the one for the gas version of this transmission. I may have some photos somewhere that I can post for you.
hunter62 wrote:
The clutch is there and behind the clutch is a plate that the starter bolts to.
You have your "behind" mixed up with something else. ;) That's actually in FRONT of the clutch, and in front of even the flywheel. Yes, the starter can be bolted to it, with shorter bolts than the original ones.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Here are photos that will show you the part that has to be swapped.

First, here's a 4wd transmission in the process of having the bell housing (front case) removed. Never mind that it's 4wd, the bell housing is the same. You can see that it comes apart at the center plate. The front and rear housings are aluminum, but the center plate is heavy machined steel.
Attachment:
4wd_bell_removal.jpg
4wd_bell_removal.jpg [ 91.25 KiB | Viewed 14602 times ]

Next, a comparison of the gas bell housing vs. diesel. They'rethe same, except for starter location.
Attachment:
gas_vs_diesel_bell_housings.jpg
gas_vs_diesel_bell_housings.jpg [ 79.96 KiB | Viewed 14602 times ]

And finally, here's a gas transmission that's in the process of being changed over to diesel. In this photo, the gas bell housing has been removed, so that the diesel bell housing can be installed.
Attachment:
gas_transmission_bell_housing.jpg
gas_transmission_bell_housing.jpg [ 93.8 KiB | Viewed 14602 times ]

Hope that helps.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:25 pm 

Wow!
I guess I need to learn how to use this site ! All my questions are answered from the pictures that were posted, but they were under "topic review" ?
Anyway, thanks sooo much for the help. Back to my search.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
I just spoke to the owner of the 100.00 motor/transmission unit and its a 1987 4x4 gas Motor.
I am wondering if the tranny would fit? I know I would have to do some refitting due to the removal of the transfer case but my main question would be if the transmission would even bolt up to the Diesel motor?

Hey, there's a guy on the PlanetIsuzoo.com site (and IsuzuPup.com site) who needs one of those transmissions desparately. Can you post the contact info, please?

Thanks.
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:07 am 

Just wanted to say "thanks Jack". It looks as though I will have a bell housing coming my way shortly thanks to the email address you gave me. :D I will let you know when I get it in my hands.
Thanks again,
George

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:22 am 

I will find the " $100.00" 4x4 motor tomorrow and post it. I have been looking at so many I cannot remember where I saw it right off.

I just took a guess and looked in craigs list at Flagstaff az. and I am pretty sure its the same motor and tranny I saw but there is no price on it now??? Who knows ,maybe the guy thought 100 was to low? Anyway,i will look more tomorrow but like I said I am pretty sure that's the same 4x4 tranny and motor that I first saw.

George

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:51 pm 

I found a tranny on craigs list but I am not sure if it will work even if I use my diesel bell housing ? I am trying to post a picture using photo bucket and this is what I came up with ???

Imagephoto bucket

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 pm 

I could not tell if it was posting the picture or not. Works pretty good I guess :D Anyway, this tranny is supposed to be a 93 I guess. It just looks different than most that I have viewed. I should have my diesel bell housing in a few days.
I will be able use only a Isuzu transmission even though I have the bell housing correct ? And only up to a 94 correct?
George

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
I could not tell if it was posting the picture or not. Works pretty good I guess :D Anyway, this tranny is supposed to be a 93 I guess. It just looks different than most that I have viewed. I should have my diesel bell housing in a few days.
I will be able use only a Isuzu transmission even though I have the bell housing correct ? And only up to a 94 correct?
George

Photobucket is not necessary if you just upload the photo here.

But that transmission is not the right one. I think we covered this, but maybe not: it MUST be an MSG transmission. Those were offered through 1994. That's not the same as saying "any Isuzu transmission through 1994". Besides the Diesel engines, the 2wd MSG was used behind the 2.3 gas engine in P'ups, Pickups, and Amigos. It has a cable-actuated clutch, and that helps to tell the difference when you're looking at a salvage yard, or at a photo. As with most "rules", there are exceptions. The MSG transmission with a hydraulically-actuated clutch was used in the Isuzu Impulse, some with 2.0L engines. But those are really rare (and that's what's in my P'up).

Does that help?

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:21 pm 

Thanks again,
I am a slow learner but once I get it it usually sticks.

I was at a junk yard yesterday and saw a few Isuzu trucks but zero diesels. Now that I have a bell housing coming It should be easier locating a transmission.

Thanks for all your help. George

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:28 pm 

Hello,
I have a question about the "earlier" msg transmissions. What was considered to be there main problem? The reason I am asking is I just found out that the tranny that I bought yesterday was a 85 and not a 86 . :esad 8O :x :(
I drove over a 100 miles to a pretty good size junk yard and much searching I located a Isuzu p/u that had " 1986 Isuzu " written in big yellow numbers on the windshield . When I got home I found that I needed the slip yoke. When I went back to the yard today they had moved a car next to it which allowed me to open the drivers door (for the first time)...... Well needless to say I read the info on the manufacture tag and it said that the truck was made in November 1985. I am pretty sure on this but not 100%. The tag could have said 1986 but I am not sure. It was faded all to heck.
Anyway,i am going with it for now and she how she performs but I was just wondering if somebody might know what the problems are with the older trannys? Is there a fix ?
I don't know why I am asking because I am not going to throw a lot of money into it when I can just keep looking for the right one ya know?
At least I will be able to get it on the road. I was sooooo dang glad to find that darn thing though !!! I kinda wish now I would not have opened that driver door !! Ha, Ha

George :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 am 
Addicted to LUV

November of 1985 would be a 1986 model. Usually the next year model production starts around august for most car manufacturers...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:17 am 

I was wondering about that. I might sleep a little easier tonight ! Ha,Ha Thanks ! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:42 am 
Addicted to LUV

mytmouz wrote:
November of 1985 would be a 1986 model. Usually the next year model production starts around august for most car manufacturers...

Exactly!

And, the fact that it needed a slip yoke is further evidence.

Be sure to fill it with motor oil, not gear lube.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:46 am 

What would you suggest on the weight of the oil ? I would assume that something like a 40 weight would be fine ?

About the slip yoke. You read my mind. After I saw that it was not the same, I had hope that I indeed had a newer/different tranny. :D
It looks like the same tranny (except the starter is on the other side) but the yoke is beefed up. I think that the tranny mount might have a different hole pattern but not sure yet. I bought the mount along with the yoke yesterday just to be sure.
They had a heck of a sale going on last weekend at the junk yard. The tranny was $ 115.00 with taxes.

I am off to the garage. Talk soon, George

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
What would you suggest on the weight of the oil ? I would assume that something like a 40 weight would be fine ?

About the slip yoke. You read my mind. After I saw that it was not the same, I had hope that I indeed had a newer/different tranny. :D
It looks like the same tranny (except the starter is on the other side) but the yoke is beefed up. I think that the tranny mount might have a different hole pattern but not sure yet. I bought the mount along with the yoke yesterday just to be sure.
They had a heck of a sale going on last weekend at the junk yard. The tranny was $ 115.00 with taxes.

I am off to the garage. Talk soon, George

The transmission should get the same weight as the engine, depending on your climate.

So you got a gas transmission, right? You know what to swap out?

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

hunter62 wrote:

I wouldn't go any higher viscosity than 30 weight oil. The "thicker" oil won't lubricate any better and will make for some slow gear changes during cold weather. I'm running 10W30 Dexos in mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:46 pm 

You mentioned "what to swap out ? " Once again I have found myself at a loss. I thought I would be swapping the bell housing but I have a funny feeling now that there is more to it correct?

I will just save myself a bunch of research and wait for your answer :) I know the slip yoke gets changed but I cannot see beyond that unless its the tranny mount. I am afraid to ask about the clutch. I was planning on buying a new one but I had hope of being able to get it running with the clutch that came on the motor then pull it down after I see how the tranny responds.

Anyway, I will be waiting to hear from you all. Thanks so much. George

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:21 pm 

I ran into my first problem on my bellhousing swap. Seems to me that the diesel bellhousing that I had shipped to me is from a diesel that had a hyd. clutch system.
If I want to keep my stock cable operated clutch I see no way to attach the pivot arm ball unless I drill and tap a hole for it.
I have never laid eyes on a diesel bellhousing so I may be mistaken but I don't think so. I just hope that I wont find any more surprises. George

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:50 pm 

Oops ! I might have jumped the gun (again).... I looked at the pictures that Jack posted and both my bellhousings look just like the ones in the picture. I cannot be 100% because of the size of the picture but I am pretty sure that they are the same. Where does the pivot arm ball attach at?

Is there a pivot arm? I need a manual I guess !

I found some pictures of the swap someplace online and they had a LOT of detail but I cannot seem to locate them again. In fact, if I remember right I believe Jack had posted them ???

Anyway I could use some help that's for sure. I was ready to get out my drill !!

George