LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:16 pm 

I just bought a very cool 1982 LUV Diesel but it has no Transmission. I found the stickshift in the bed but other than that I have no other info on the transmission. I got the little Isuzu motor purring like a kitten and I am going to start prepping the body for paint but in the meantime I would like to start my search for a transmission if I knew what might fit.
Will a 5 speed out of a S-10 fit ? Any info would be very helpful. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

First, welcome to the site, and hats off for getting it running without a transmission. I'm sure you had to fab up something to hang the starter onto.

Second, nothing but an Isuzu transmission will fit. The S10 bolt pattern is different. Yes, they offered the same C223 engine in the S10 for a few years, but GM had their own unique bell housing. They're rarer than hens' teeth.

Third, don't use an Isuzu transmission older than 1986. If you had a diesel bell housing, you could go as late as a 1995 transmission. The '86-'95 transmissions are quite a bit stronger than the '81-'85 versions. There's a salvage yard in my area that has a '94 Pickup, but I don't know if it has the correct transmission (it has to be the 2.3 engine in order to work).

You just MIGHT be able to get an Isuzu diesel bell housing from sqdeb@yahoo.com.

And by the way, was the knob still on the stick shift? It's important to know if the truck had a 4-speed or 5-speed. They had different axle ratios.

Where are you located?

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:57 pm 

Wow !
Thanks for the info. I was afraid there was going to be something weird about the transmission and you just confirmed it. The person I got the truck from knew very little of its history. The way the story goes was the owner was visiting and the transmission went out. He had it sent someplace to be worked on and in the meantime had a heart attack and died. The truck sat for 20 plus years until I did some work for the owner of the property and inquired about the truck. I was given the truck for my service.
I wondered why the person that owned the property never had it fixed himself and now it makes perfect sense. I believe he did not fix it because it was not that easy to locate a transmission. Its a 5 speed by the way. I live in a very remote part of the Mojave desert in Calif. Car parts are hard to find for one thing but trying to find a part that is not a standard part is really hard.
Well at least I know what not to look for. I was hoping that a regular chevy tranny would bolt up.
Thank you sooo much for the info. I will check out the site you suggested for a bell housing. That would be sweet if I could swing that.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:19 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You stumbled onto a nice truck. The early 5-speed transmissions all had the same weakness.
hunter62 wrote:
I will check out the site you suggested for a bell housing. That would be sweet if I could swing that.

That was an email address, not a site. It's Dart & Deb Eskew, and they have been parting out LUVs and P'ups for years. I can vouch for them, and they have no problem shipping parts.

He never has any working transmissions, but sometimes has bell housings.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:40 pm 

Thanks for the e mail address. I found out real quick that it was not a web site ! Ha ha I already sent them a e mail.
Yes,the truck was a heck of a find. I located it a year ago but the owner is a funny sort of fellow and would not sell until he needed some motor work himself.
I will post some pictures soon. The body is really,really nice. Front seat and dash needs recovered but the chrome and all else is in great shape.
That's one of the neat things about living in the desert. Very,very dry conditions here. You can leave a car sit outside forever and have nothing but surface rust.
I am sure I will find a tranny but I can see now that its going to take some looking. Its all good. It will be worth it in the long run. There is 130 k on the speedo and from what I know of diesel motors that is nothing.
Thanks again for your help. If you run across a tranny or any info I might be able to use please let me know. My e mail is George_hunt53@yahoo.com.
I went on Craigs list this morning and found a engine AND tranny for a 100 bucks (yeah!) but its located in Fl. for one thing and I don't know if the owner is into the hassle of wanting to pull the tranny and pack it to be shipped. Shipping cost might be crazy also?? Guess I will go for now.
Thanks for your time

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:12 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

hunter62 not sure about yours but

also pay attention to the yoke & number of splines they have ...

while getting a trans you may need to pull the slip yoke as well to put on yours

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:38 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
I went on Craigs list this morning and found a engine AND tranny for a 100 bucks (yeah!) but its located in Fl. for one thing and I don't know if the owner is into the hassle of wanting to pull the tranny and pack it to be shipped. Shipping cost might be crazy also?? Guess I will go for now.

I would be wiling to bet it's an '85 or older. I wouldn't put an '85 or earlier transmission in my truck it were free.
3rdLuvNext2a66MALIBU wrote:
hunter62 not sure about yours but

also pay attention to the yoke & number of splines they have ...

while getting a trans you may need to pull the slip yoke as well to put on yours

Exactly right.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:08 pm 

I just spoke to the owner of the 100.00 motor/transmission unit and its a 1987 4x4 gas Motor.
I am wondering if the tranny would fit? I know I would have to do some refitting due to the removal of the transfer case but my main question would be if the transmission would even bolt up to the Diesel motor?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:20 pm 

Sorry about my last post . I have already been told that I must have a tranny that came from a diesel and not a gas motor. I guess I am just wishing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
Sorry about my last post . I have already been told that I must have a tranny that came from a diesel and not a gas motor. I guess I am just wishing.

No problem. The issue with the gas transmission is, the starter mounts on the passenger's side. On the diesel, it has to go on the driver's side because the injection pump is on the passenger's side and there's not room for the starter there. That's why swapping bell housing (actually it's the whole front case) will fix that issue.

Gas 2wd transmissions aren't that rare. Remember, if using a gas transmission, you can get it from any year Pickup (or Amigo) through 1994, as long as it's mounted to a 2.3 engine. Or even from an '86-89 Impulse (2.0 or 2.3), if you happen to find one of those (mine came from an Impulse).

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:37 am 

Would you happen to know what is the model # on the tranny that was used in the 82 Luv ?? I cannot find the model anywhere and knowing this would help. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:42 am 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
Would you happen to know what is the model # on the tranny that was used in the 82 Luv ?? I cannot find the model anywhere and knowing this would help. Thanks

Model number is MSG-5, but that's not the part number. And you won't find it on the transmission itself. They probably used several different part numbers for the same unit. Car companies do that--for instance a heater core is identical between the '81-82 LUV, '81-87 P'up, and '84-'91 Trooper. They used different part numbers, apparently so they could tell what people were buying replacements for.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:55 pm 

Thank you for all the information. I shopped online for hours but either its a gasser or its way to pricey. I cannot believe what some of the older trucks are going for. And that's not restored !
I believe what I am going to do is concentrate on finding a bell housing. Who am I kidding ? I don't have a choice ! Ha,Ha

Talk soon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:13 pm 

One more question. I did find a diesel bell housing for a Isuzu Motor but it say's it will fit a "pup" from 83-86 .... It does not give the liter size of the motor. It should work though right??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:16 pm 

Oops !!!! Sorry. After speaking with the owner I found out that it did come from a 2.2 but a automatic. Drat ! Foiled again !

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:44 pm 
Addicted to LUV

hunter62 wrote:
One more question. I did find a diesel bell housing for a Isuzu Motor but it say's it will fit a "pup" from 83-86 .... It does not give the liter size of the motor. It should work though right??

Yes, there was only one size diesel in the P'up. Make sure the starter is on the driver's side of the housing, and you should be good. This housing is aluminum, and it weighs about 10 pounds. I've shipped a couple, and it was not expensive--maybe $20 via FedEx Ground (or FedEx Home), or UPS. It will ship in a box--no need for a crate. So don't let anybody tell tell you they need a lot of money for crating and shipping.

Jack

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:10 pm 

Help !
I have no idea on what I need to get a transmission for this truck !
On my very first post on this topic I remembered that we got a "hats off" for getting the starter on the motor without having a transmission. Well a friend of mine had bolted the starter on and I never really gave it much thought. I just got under the truck for the first time and looked it over. The clutch is there and behind the clutch is a plate that the starter bolts to. Its not a bell housing that's for sure but I am not sure what it is. The starter bolts right up to it though and I am sure its a factory part I am not sure of what I need to be looking for now? Help ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:13 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sounds like this engine came out off a generator, or at least that part did. The normal diesel trans should work with it, no problem though...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:43 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

mytmouz wrote:
Sounds like this engine came out off a generator, or at least that part did. The normal diesel trans should work with it, no problem though...

Do you think it may be a C240?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:17 pm 

I really doubt that it is anything but a stock 82 diesel luv truck Motor. I know some of the history and I know it had a problem with the transmission and after the tranny was removed the owner died. The truck sat and sat until I came along 25 years later.
joeisuzu mentioned in one of his replies that if I wanted to use a 5 speed from a gasser that I had to get a diesel bell housing . He went on to say a "front case". I believe that what I am looking at is what Isuzu refers to a "bell housing". The reason I say this is because I went on e bay and typed in Isuzu diesel bell housing and what came up looks a lot like what is bolted on the back of my motor.
I am still going to need a "front case" I guess? I have looked at pictures of a Isuzu diesel manual tranny and it does not look like it will come apart until its well past the throw out bearing.
I have turned wrenches for many years but this diesel is throwing me some curves !