LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: No fuel.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:28 pm 

Hi, i have a 79 4x4. I've been having issues with not getting any fuel to the carb. I changed the fuel filter and it seemed to work just fine.after a year it started happening again and so I thought the same thing. I changed the filter and it worked for a few weeks. I changed the fuel pump and filter and was running perfect. Then a few days ago it died on the way home. Towed it blah. Tried to start it an hour or so later and it fired up. Tried it the next day and nothing. For the sake of curiosity I put an extra fuel filter in-line in motor compartment to see what I could see and nothing. Tried and tried and nothing. Ended up using starter fluid and after a few attempts it started. There was fuel in the filter.that was a few says ago and now its got no gas flow again .

Post subject: Re: No fuel.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:18 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Check out this thread and see if it helps. Particularly if you have fuel at the carb but not in the sight glass. The fuel inlet valve was my issue.

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29343

Three Amigos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:26 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Forgive me if this is patronizing, but I don't have a sense of how comfortable you are with diagnostics so bear with me if I am over explaining. The combination of cutoffs while driving, and intermittent refusal to fire up sounds like a wire rub or similar. I went through 2 healthy pumps and numerous in-line filters before figuring this out. At very least, it is a satisfying cause to rule out. Carb problems don't typcially mask themselves with good performance in-between hiccups. Electrical shorts, on the other hand, are evil. With a shorted fuel pump, during startup, the vacuum from the engine can pull enough from the lines to get it started, and even driving, but it will struggle and cough as the wires jiggle and the pump gets a few rotations in here and there. When driving, the same principle applies. Hit a bump and the pump quits, but there is enough fuel in the lines and enough vacuum in the system to struggle along - maybe even enough to start it and hobble off of the freeway. You check everything, and there seems to be fuel in the lines but it refuses to start. Then, suddenly, it will just turn over and run like nothing ever happened. Frustrating to be sure.

First thing I would do is check the quality of the fuse for that circuit (relative to the other fuses around it). Is it darker or different looking? If the fuses look good, hook a 12v light bulb to the pump contacts and jiggle some wires around to see if there is a rub somewhere along the harness? If the bulb blinks while you're doing that, there is the smoking gun. The bulb flash will be a lot more obvious than the struggle of the pump's 'tick', especially with a bunch of engine nosie present. See if the pump can wiggle around on its mount at all, and whether that changes anything. Ultimately, you will need to jiggle everything between the pump and the fuel system fuse(from the pump through the the chassis harness to the engine bay, and along the engine bay harness to the fuse box. If that doesn't produce any weirdness, then like the others said, begin troubleshooting the carb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

I would also suggest to drop & clean out the tank along w/ clearing all lines from there forward, just to eliminate the question of rust particles or debris that can cause flow restriction.

66 Chevelle The Oldest of all the vehicles I owned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:20 pm 

Thanks for all the advice. I will try and see what I get.