LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Unclear on headers
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:24 am 

Well one thing the search does a pretty good job of is bringing up header info.. I read a lot about them.. but I am unclear on a few points..

First I read the beer budget pdf.. most of those prices have gone way up.. the summit kit now is like 480.00 headers plus and few hundred more for the mounts... I would like to keep my conversion as cheap as possible.

I found a set of ACE motor and trans mount for 50 bucks I am going to pick up... now after reading like a billion header threads.. it looks like not all headerswork with mounts... so obviously the ace headers work with ace mounts.. but again there headers were like high 300 or low 400 bucks cant remember..

So here is the question...I have seen several people post that block hugger headers (about 120 bucks) work...but not always... 75 and before the block headers don't work...and 76 and after they do? Did I get that info right?

Or maybe it was block hugger headers work with ace mount brackets after 1976... can anyone help me out on this here that has been through it?

I would like to use either a block hugger header or some other cheap alternative.. any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks X

Post subject: Re: Unclear on headers
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

Block huggers will not work with the ace mounts. Been there done that.

The torsion bars make it difficult to use any other off the shelf headers.

Rear dump manifolds may work. LT1 Caprices used them.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:16 am 

Thanks for your answer.....

So are there "any" off the shelf that work?

How about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Sanderson-CS11-Hu ... B003JAF4Z4

or this? http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/1100 ... tId=744739 or http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot+Exhaust/7 ... 6/10002/-1

how about some of these..check out the first set...they are a shorty but dump backwards... http://www.summitracing.com/search/bran ... lock-gen-I

Thanks X

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

I can't say for sure what will work. My truck has been re-homed for a couple of years now and I'm relying on my memory.

The ACE mounts bolt onto the stock frame mounting points, which go back to the middle exhaust holes on the sbc. Anything that gets close to that point won't work. What compounds the problem is the torsion bar setup. When those aren't in the way, the steering shaft is.

My luv was as "budget" as it could've been. The one thing that I did spend money on was the ACE headers. I felt my options were to try several other headers, convert to coil-overs, or buy the ones I knew would work and be done with it.

Even the ACE headers are a tight fit and a complete pain in the ass. I couldn't get them in without taking the motor halfway back out. I'm not that great of a mechanic though.

Mytmouz has my old truck now. Maybe he'll see this thread and post some pics so you can get an idea of what you're up against.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:08 am 
Addicted to LUV

Pics, not great at that... With the ace mounts I don't think standard block huggers will work. Not all block huggers work without torsions either. Some of them have the flange turned to a PITA position and need to be cut off and reoriented. The rear dumps you got the link to I don't think will work either without cutting and repositioning the flanges, the angle looks like they would route the pipes into the firewall... Check Powerbyaces blem and garage sale section, he has a couple of sets listed in there I believe...

FIAA!

SFPP!