LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:44 pm 

Hey all, I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I am having some issues with my LUV. I have a 76 LUV with a PUP 5-speed in it, 4:10 gears in the diff, it is all stock Isuzu parts. A couple years ago I was having a similar issue and I replaced the carrier assembly (that's where I got the 4:10 gears from), repacked the axle bearings, but it turned out to be a bad u-joint, go figure. I replaced the u-joints and they seemed really tight but I put the drive line back in the truck anyway. My issue went away except when I was going above 65 mph. Well I don't usually drive that fast so I just left it. Now with all of that said, I just recently moved back to OR, I was stationed in OK, and I towed the truck back on a car dolly. I wasn't able to remove my drive line because I would've lost my fluids out of the trans so I had it in neutral for the trip. I also had to raise up the front end suspension (my truck is lowered) and it made the trip just fine. I just worked on it the other day, put new brake pads on it and lowered the front end back down.

Now for the issues, when I first drove it, it was having a little bit of an issue shifting, I checked the clutch reservoir and it was a little low so I topped it off. It helped but I was still having issues with it shifting into 1st while the truck was moving at all. Then while driving I have a vibration/humming sound when I am slowing down, with the clutch in or out it doesn't matter. Also, it seemed to get louder with the clutch pushed in. If I am at a stop there is no noise or vibration. Can anyone give me some ideas to start checking? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:37 pm 
Addicted to LUV

im not 100% but I have read on here a few times that towing on a dolly with the rear tires on the ground can damage the trans because its lubricated by the oil being lifted by the input shaft, if its in neutral and the output shaft is spinning and the input isn't then its basically spinning unlubricated the whole time.

im not real helpful here being that I pretty much trashed my transmission, but there are a few here who will be able to help you troubleshoot it, have you drained the trans oil and replaced it recently?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:46 pm 

There is probably only about 5k miles on the oil since I have changed it out. I only drive it on weekends when it is nice out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:04 pm 

Can anyone else provide me some input before I start tearing into it? ....Please...?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I mean, all of your issues sound transmission-related. A very long tow that kept an unlubricated bearing spinning dry for thousands of miles is just the type of event that can provide such sudden, distinctly noticeable problems, and like love4theluv said, these types of trucks are supposed to have the axle pulled for long tows for just this reason. I believe it's even recommended in the owners manual.

Whether it was your towing oversight or something completely different is irrelevant when it comes down to it. Unfortunately, the sounds and vibrations you describe sound like the worst kind for a tranny to be making. Issues shifting, and new vibrations while loading my transmission that disappeared when I was idling would have me taking my truck to someone with a good diagnostic ear ASAP. I hope you're not driving it.

It sounds like you just goofed up, but maybe not. It's hard to say. If does turn out that you mistakenly melted your output bearing races, lesson learned.

The tradeoff was between removing the driveshaft and replacing lost tranny fluid, or letting the output shaft bearings roll dry for thousands of miles, and you made the riskier choice for sure. Not having realized how important the removal of the drive shaft might have been, there was probably no good way to appreciate why it's so important until you did it wrong.

Personally, I'd have plugged the tranny and differential with some plastic bag and duct tape.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:35 pm 

Well thank you for the input, I was afraid that it might be the trans, just didn't want to believe it. I didn't know that it would be turning un-lubricated, I would've used a trailer if I had the means but didn't. Wish me luck...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

Good luck lol
Should be able to find another tranny at picknpull if it comes down to it

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

love4theluv wrote:
im not 100% but I have read on here a few times that towing on a dolly with the rear tires on the ground can damage the trans because its lubricated by the oil being lifted by the input shaft, if its in neutral and the output shaft is spinning and the input isn't then its basically spinning unlubricated the whole time.

im not real helpful here being that I pretty much trashed my transmission, but there are a few here who will be able to help you troubleshoot it, have you drained the trans oil and replaced it recently?

No offence, you're partially correct. The spinning input shaft is turning the cluster gear and it throws oil everywhere. When towing if equiped some vehicle have a cutch hold down allowing you to ow it in gear, preferably high. The oil level is just above the center line of the cluster gear. A stock LUV has an advantage as the rear ujoint is contained. Just unbolt it and tie it up. Not a good idea with the open joints where a cap could fall off.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Duck Tape will take should take care of the caps I have done that on other things when flat towing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:07 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I use to use tape also. Flat towed the race car approx 1000 mile, jack it up to put the slicks on and connecct the drive shaft and missing one cap. Ran around for an hour or so to find the right u joint, just for a cap. Never happened again. When we got back I designed a steel bolt on bracket to hold it and give a solid place to tie / chain it up. Oh if you use a bolt to secure a chain, double nut it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You did not use enough duck tape :lol: I would not want to guess how many yards I used to tape it each time. I sould have bought stock in that company.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:25 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

PapaG wrote:
You did not use enough duck tape :lol: I would not want to guess how many yards I used to tape it each time. I sould have bought stock in that company.

I keep running out of ducts. :ebiggrin