LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:06 pm 

Hello...now my fellow Luv owners! Just picked up a sitting (for 10 years plus I suspect) a super clean, 111,000 miles super straight lt blue met, five speed diesel LUV. Previous--late owner, stated the rear end had a major problem, he parked it! Vehicle was built JUL 81 and from the dash I took this serial number: J8ZCL14S0B8254245.

Here are the questions you might be able to help me with: What might be the rear axle ratio? How could I tell from a tag, stamping, or do I do the rotate the wheels, etc. old school? I suspect dropping the tank, sending it to a shop for cleaning, or how to do this yourself? What filters should I replace? What about the fuel lines...is there a way to clean out these units?

And of course, what should I look for as I examine this engine bay, etc.?

Certainly, any filter part numbers, etc. would be more than helpful!

Personally, I can't believe I missed this diesel truck back then in the early 80's as a real fuel saver, etc.

Great to be a part of this special group. This should be more than fun...retirement is just around the corner for me!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 pm 
Addicted to LUV

dakotabound wrote:
Hello...now my fellow Luv owners! Just picked up a sitting (for 10 years plus I suspect) a super clean, 111,000 miles super straight lt blue met, five speed diesel LUV.
Congrats on your new truck! This is known around here as a "second generation" LUV, and they don't get quite enough luv here. Most of the LUV purists prefer the first generation. Personally, I was never a fan until the diesel came along, and that was not until 2nd generation.
dakotabound wrote:
Previous--late owner, stated the rear end had a major problem, he parked it! Vehicle was built JUL 81 and from the dash I took this serial number: J8ZCL14S0B8254245.

Here are the questions you might be able to help me with: What might be the rear axle ratio? How could I tell from a tag, stamping, or do I do the rotate the wheels, etc. old school?
No need to go to that trouble. All 5-speed diesel LUVs were 3.73 rear ends. That ratio came only in the 5-speed diesels--not in 4-speed, and not in gas trucks. They're no longer available new, but when they were still available, the rear ends were about $1,200. There's a guy in MO who dismantles LUVs and P'ups, and he shipped me a rear end for a very reasonable price. His name is Dart, and his wife Deb handles most of the emails: sqdeb@yahoo.com. Your problem might be as simple as a pinion nut that has worked loose. Is there a lot of oil (grease) on the gas tank and the bottom of the bed right in front of the differential? If so, it needs a pinion seal. Mine went bad, and I ran it dry too long--it ruined the gears.
dakotabound wrote:
I suspect dropping the tank, sending it to a shop for cleaning, or how to do this yourself?
There's a drain bolt on the bottom. Once it's drained, it's not hard to take out. Some folks prefer to raise the bed off, but I thought that was way too much trouble. The tank has a supply line, a return line, a filler tube, and an overflow tube. There's also an electrical connection for the fuel sender. I'd probably slosh about a gallon of clean diesel around in it, and drain it before the crud settles. Then the filter will get the rest, but it may plug up prematurely, so have an extra one on hand.
dakotabound wrote:
What filters should I replace?
Fuel, oil, and air filters. I personally prefer the NAPA Gold oil filters because they have a silicone anti-drainback flap. Pressure seems to build faster when starting cold. Fuel filters are pricey and sometimes hard to find. Holler at me when you're ready to replace yours, if the process doesn't look self-evident. Lots of people have trouble starting after a fuel filter changed.
dakotabound wrote:
What about the fuel lines...is there a way to clean out these units?
Brittle fuel lines have probably caused more grief than major mechanical problems for these engines. All it takes is one little crack, and it sucks air instead of fuel. There's no pusher pump, just the injector pump. So it's critical that you have good lines. I replaced all mine for about $20.
dakotabound wrote:
And of course, what should I look for as I examine this engine bay, etc.?
Broken vacuum lines, and broken wires on the front of the thermostat housing.
dakotabound wrote:
Certainly, any filter part numbers, etc. would be more than helpful!
Retailers can always look it up by the make, model, and year. Anything that works for an '81 Isuzu P'up will also work for the '81 LUV.

If you don't know when the timing belt was replaced, that's a VERY high priority. Diesels are interference engines, and if your timing belt breaks, it will do some damage. It's designed to limit the damage, but don't go there. You'll be looking for pushrods and rocker arms. Timing belt replacement took me about 6-8 hours the first time, but I think I could do it in 4 hours the next time.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:35 am 

Well...here we go! Thanks for all the advice and special tips to explore. Think I'll crawl underneath this little wonder around the rear axle area first and look for those leaks/stains, etc. Then it will be to the gas tank as I look at those lines, etc. going into the engine bay.

I'll be taking my pencil and pad on this adventure, adding up the apparent costs to get a starting idea. Looks like that rear end might hold the worst surprise at this point, but we'll see.

Again, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you end up replacing the rear end, you may as well do the rear axle bearings at the same time. And rear brakes, while it's all apart. I had a leaking rear cylinder and it apparently de-greased the wheel bearing on that side, so the bearing went bad.

Just FYI about the value of these trucks. An '82 recently sold for around $11,000. It was listed at $11,900 and had three offers (sight unseen) within a few hours. In retrospect, I think it could have brought over $13k. It was a once-in-a-lifetime barn find in pristine condition, though.

Jack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Like Joe Isuzu said this site is mostly made up of the first gen LUVs. I have noticed over the years here that the second gen diesels are desired and sell for a good price. I would think this truck is worth saving and fixing for keeping as a driver or selling it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:41 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Oops, I forgot a really important item to look at. There's an oil line that connects the block to the vacuum pump on the back of the alternator. These lines get really brittle. It may look fine on the outside because it has a fabric skin--but it could be cracking inside. Don't so much as TOUCH it until you have a new one ready to replace it with. Bending it even slightly can break it inside, and you can lose all your oil in seconds--fast enough to toast your engine. See my PM, I can get you in touch with the guy who has these lines "in stock" most of the time.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm 

Just lost my entire post due to pushing the wrong key...a nerd for sure!

Ok...previous post (original) got me some really fine advice...I used it; drained the fuel tank, replaced all filters, fluids, etc., checked all fuel lines and vac. lines for leaks and cracks. Then added a battery with a cable jump and quess what?

The damn thing started up and purred like a baby kitten with no smoke out the exhaust! Been sitting in the sun since 1996 here in New Mexico! 111k miles on the odometer...seems real to me.

I couldn't have done this without your help and comments, especially since this is the first diesel I have ever owned.

Thank you all for the positive energies and correct information.

Here's what I presently am seeking:

1. Vehicle has aftermarket "wagon wheels" with 195-70SR-14 tires on it. What are the original size rims and correct tires for this vehicle? If 14" and I keep the rims, what would be a larger size tire that would work?

2. Anyone have a very good set of original hub caps for this baby if I go original rims? Cost?

3. I need the interior lamp unit (with plastic lens) that is on rear of roof line. Cost?

4. Would be nice to find a rubber floor liner or is there a great carpet kit available? From who and how much?

5. Needs a windshield...clear is in it...would like a shaded unit...ideas of what I should pay a local glass company?

6. Could use an original "owner's manual" along with the correct shop manual (for diesels of course). Cost?

7. I need both right and left (complete) sun visors...color not important, just very good condition at this point. Cost?

Presently my new colors will attempt to steal from the "Royal House of Windsor" their black and dark maroon two tone colors with a reverse of the colors...black on top with maroon on the lower section, accented by a gold pinstripe!

Oh yea, can this thing get up to speed at 65 mph on the interstate, easily and for some hours of travel? You might guess to where I intend to drive this baby!

Finally, thank you for your help and sincere welcoming to this site! I'll try to figure out how to post some pics for those who might be curious as to what a sun baked vehicle looks like in the Land of Enchantment!

There's LUV for all of us!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:35 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Looks like Ben or a moderator merged the two topics, which is great (thanks!). That makes it easier to pick up where you left off before. One thing you didn't mention was the oil line on the back of the alternator. That's really important. Even though you don't see leaks or cracks, it needs to be replaced about every 20 years to be safe. If it does crack, you can empty your oil onto the ground real fast. Engines don't like running without oil. :( The other key item is the timing belt. That's another one that needs preventive maintenance, every 60,000 miles. If it breaks, you WILL do damage.
dakotabound wrote:
1. Vehicle has aftermarket "wagon wheels" with 195-70SR-14 tires on it. What are the original size rims and correct tires for this vehicle? If 14" and I keep the rims, what would be a larger size tire that would work?
The original tires would have been 195/75R14. I upsized to 15" rims, but kept the tire diameter essentially the same as factory by using 205/65R15 tires.
dakotabound wrote:
7. I need both right and left (complete) sun visors...color not important, just very good condition at this point. Cost?
I think I have a few sun visors. They're tan. Let me know if interested. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find them. ;)
dakotabound wrote:
Oh yea, can this thing get up to speed at 65 mph on the interstate, easily and for some hours of travel? You might guess to where I intend to drive this baby!
Mine would do 90 on the interstate, but I wouldn't cruise that way for extended periods. I felt comfortable cruising at 75-80, but fuel economy drops off at that speed. I'm not sure about the '81 model, because the exhaust outlet on the manifold is just a little more restrictive.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:35 am 

Joe Isuzu....if you can find your tan sun visor set and the condition seems to be really good, then I'm a player for those. My private email attempt appears to have failed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:28 am 
Addicted to LUV

dakotabound wrote:
Joe Isuzu....if you can find your tan sun visor set and the condition seems to be really good, then I'm a player for those. My private email attempt appears to have failed.

My mobile was having trouble with connectivity. I have them, and I'll reply to your email.

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:27 pm 

Ok, I'll certainly check that oil line reality. Got a new correct battery today, tomorrow will crank this baby up again.

Will look for the private email on those tan sun visors.

Would really like an original owner's manual along with the correct shop manual and the supplement (I think this is correct) for the diesel engine, etc.

Thanks for all the assistance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Bob, I sent emails with photos of the sun visors. If you didn't get them, let me know.

I'll take a shot at some of your other questions.
dakotabound wrote:
3. I need the interior lamp unit (with plastic lens) that is on rear of roof line. Cost?
My Isuzu parts contact said he had to order these from Japan a couple of years ago, and it took months to get them. I think he said they're no longer available. I went looking through the salvage yard for a similar unit, that would either fit the existing hole or did not require a recessed hole. I found some old Suzuki/GEO lamps that were pretty close. I installed one, and it's brighter than the original one. I had to splice the original connectors onto the Suzuki unit. I mounted it using one original screw hole, and had to drill one other one. Details HERE.
dakotabound wrote:
4. Would be nice to find a rubber floor liner or is there a great carpet kit available? From who and how much?
I've had my carpet replaced, but that was about 15 years ago. I'm pretty sure you can still get carpet or vinyl. I'll see if I can find a source.
dakotabound wrote:
5. Needs a windshield...clear is in it...would like a shaded unit...ideas of what I should pay a local glass company?
PPG still offers the clear ones. I'm not aware of any tinted ones available.
dakotabound wrote:
6. Could use an original "owner's manual" along with the correct shop manual (for diesels of course). Cost?
They turn up on eBay pretty regularly. Somewhere around $50-$60 is about average for the set, in decent condition. I don't know if the LUV manual required a diesel supplement, but the Isuzu (at least the '83) included diesel.

Hope that helps.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:03 am 

Jack, don't see the email yet, think I might try a private message.

Do wish to thank you for the lead on the interior lamp solution, will continue to look at Ebay for literature and as far as the glass goes, I'll ask my glass people what's available, etc. When I get the seat recovered I'll see what carpet may cost, however, I would prefer the rubber complete mat if one can be found and acquired.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:23 am 
Addicted to LUV

I don't know what's wrong with the emails. I sent one with a price, and the second with photos. Did yoiu check your "spam" folder?

We can discuss price and shipping via PM.

The top two are the cleanest. Just in case you weren't aware, the left and right visors are identical and interchangeable.

Jack

Attachments:
visors2.jpg
visors2.jpg [ 238.63 KiB | Viewed 11760 times ]
visors1.jpg
visors1.jpg [ 316.31 KiB | Viewed 11760 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:44 am 

My fellow brothers/sisters of the Diesel world...

Joe Isuzu provided some fine quality used sun visors, along with some great help...first class member!

Got a Chinese shaded front glass with new gasket installed (190 bucks). Got some Chinese tires with correct wheel alignment (repaired previous driver side lite damage at shock tower) too.

Next up is the rear end whining...pinon seal was leaking, waiting for my #11 shop manual, this will be a first time tear down and rebuild. Intend to replace bearings, etc. so that once fixed and aligned I won't have to go back in there. Usually I end up with leftover parts...hopefully not this time!

Might do the local, native style seat repair..get some foam, cut to fit on worn out driver's side, then take Mexican blankets with hog rings and do a "native" repair/recover for a New Mexico look, Santa Fe style (ok, real Santa Fe style would be getting some old Indian blankets and just lay them on the front seats...meaning that the blankets would be worth more than the vehicle!).

Will attempt to figure out how to upload a few pics.

Seems with about 250 miles on this vehicle the gas mileage is like fine brandy...sipping, sipping. Although I don't expect to travel faster than 60mph on the highway...no rushing in life now!

Within a month it may be ready for paint (going to do a reverse 'House of Windsor' paint scheme). Blasted a set of 80 rims, painted them with your off the shelf Rust-Oleum red paint...the gloss is 85%DOI (distinctness of image) or better. Got a full disc hubcap (4 units) with the rims...wonder what the smaller caps looked like or what other types will fit with those 3 steel buttons on the rims.

The heater is beyond normal...it's Miami inside the cabin...never had anything this warm and with such a powerful fan motor.

Blue headliner with "tan" eyebrows is heading down the road, thanks again for the help and great advice!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:16 pm 

Ok, got the horn working thanks to you know who...used the 22 rimfire casing and I got noise...thank you JOE I.

Also took a look at the wiper motor switch on the turn signal arm. Sure enough, solid grease there too! Cleaned that unit up, added some dielectric compound and viola! Wipers now wipe and both speeds are available.

However, this vehicle has the original LUV AM radio which when on provides a "clicking sound" and no more. Took that baby out and measured what appears to be the available space for another model.

It appears: 2.5" tall...6.5" deep...7.5" wide is available with just a little room for air transfer, etc.

I want to install an AM/FM with CD radio in this area. You know the question: Is there a unit that will work and fit?

I have my doubts. If this hunch is correct, is there a good place to add an aftermarket unit...say below the dash so that the driver can operate it while driving and have a fender bender while changing channels?

Next up is the heater box where fluid is leaking (right side...passenger side)...is there a smart way to tear this unit down...or better still, what not to do?

I do have the factory manuals, both standard and the supplement.

Visited the local Chevy dealer and the kid in the "retail area" of the parts department did not have anything on his GM computer...had to go discover by asking one of the "old guys" where the hard copies might be...still waiting for this kid to call me back...bet he never will!

What I will ask him (glad he gave me his direct phone number and real name) is if there is a GM parts website where new old stocks parts are listed only for those who have original part numbers. Knew Ford had such a site some years back but lost that address. Or is there someone on this forum who has such a site, either GM or ISUZU?

Coming up will be the take out of the differential and discovery of what is causing the whining...meaning all new bearings and seals no matter what.

As to the "timing belt" replacement. That is (for me) an all day job...hopefully. The best belt: Would it be a GM factory part, an ISUZU factory part, or could the folks at NAPA, AutoZone, or another have a super quality belt?

Anybody got the right part number?

Got the Walker tail pipe rear section, will replace that while removing the diff.

My tan sun visors work just fine...especially since our New Mexico winter seems to be ending and bright sunlight is here every day...no snow, 65 degrees of comfort!

Thanks for your continued support.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:20 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I think on Jacks site he has a thread about the heater core. If he does not see this I would PM him.

EDIT: Found the post on Jacks site.

http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8925