LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 76 Mikado Overhaul
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:38 am 

So was driving a few weeks ago and the G180 decided to jump timing, luckily i managed to limp it on home. I decided to go ahead and pull the engine for an overhaul, seeing as it would be easier to repair out of the truck, the top end has been making a terrible tapping noise since i bought it, and the motor is leaking oil out of every seal it has. While the motor was out decided might as well replace the original brake and fuel lines that are completely shot, and also the trans needs work since its nearly impossible to shift into/out of second. Then i figured might as well just overhaul the whole damn truck, since the rust is looking kinda bad, and there are a lot of promblems overall. Plan to keep it as stock as possible with a few engine doodads and perhaps a few inches lower. Got some JDM fender mirrorsfrom Japan for a faster i may try out as well, but thats a ways down the road. Will post updates ASAP.

Post subject: Re: 76 Mikado Overhaul
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:35 pm 

OK so got the motor out.
Tore the whole thing down. Cylinders were fine, but the headgasket wasn't, so i sent the block to the machine shop to get degreased, resurfaced and crosshatched. Three of the exhaust valves were leaking, so i sent out the head too for a full valve job, no BS lapping shortcuts here. Also had it resurfaced of course. Crank left to be spec'ed and polished as well. Taking a look at the rockers and i found this....
Yikes. Three were like that and cylinder two intake lobe on the cam was super worn with flat spots and indentations. Guess that explains the noise. New cam on order.
Block back...
Head back...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nice work. I am guessing you don't want to pull the head later to do it right :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:22 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, I've never seen rockers that looked that bad on a LUV. Its almost as though something kept oil from getting to them.

As for the pics towards the end of your post, OOOOOOoooo PRETTTTY....

Nice to see someone doing it right and not taking shortcuts. Looking good!

79 4x4 LUV project: 2.6L, 5spd, 31s (eventually)

MEPR: Man, my 4x4 makes all other LUVs look good :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Did you order a stock cam or the aftermarket performance one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:16 am 

I will be doing mine pretty soon and I noticed you pulled the e-brake cable and pully wheel off. Was that necessary to get the engine out? I was hoping I didn't have to mess with that. Oh well, maybe it will be a good time to rework mine!

BTW- What type of springs did you put on those valves? They almost look like comp springs and retainers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 am 

OK, so this motor rebuild took entirely too long, but its all back together, broken in, and has about 700 miles on it with no issues. No massive leaks like before and no rocker tick! Sorry for the late response, but it is a bone stock cam from ebay and alloy rockers from ITM because that is all i could find. Springs/retainers are OEM. I like to keep things stock since its a DD. Glass beaded aluminum parts, aluminum oxide blasted external steel parts, new paint, brass plugs, new dizzy, timing parts, oil pump, water pump, head bolts, etc. Whole thing cost about 1k. Unfortunately i did the majority of the work at night between university classes and work and didn't take any pictures! I will upload a pic of the completed motor ASAP though. Next I'm planning on rebuilding the trans because 2nd gear syncro is pretty much useless. :? I will post that process as I will be doing it during the summer with no class to distract me haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

Very nice! That engine should run you another 200k miles without major headaches and look dang good doing it do you have any pics of it now that it is installed

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:22 pm 

Ok so here the motor all back in and happy!

Next the exhaust when i bought it was a complete mess, composed of rust and some metal flakes. Decided with the fresh engine its time to try out a real exhaust, so just took it down to Miller Muffler here in Erie and got a full custom mandrel bent exhaust. All stock, OEM style muffler, non-stainless. Not cheap, but done right. Owner was ecstatic says he used to do hundreds of these trucks back in the day but hasn't in 20 years or so.

Also, as you may be able to see in the last picture, I put in new brake lines, hoses, and fittings through the whole truck this month along with Trooper brakes and calipers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:24 pm 

Love how you have kept the original engine, keep the good work man, fellow member here and I will be asking questions for my engine rebuild that's coming up.