LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:24 pm 

So, I gave up on trying to find a smooth rear bumper for sale and decided to make one. Essentially, the idea followed an article I found online on Sport Truck Magazine's website: http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticles/0811st_1989_chevy_s10_rear_bumper_conversion/. They used a 1st generation s10 rear bumper as a foundation, took off the plastic impact strip, cut and welded steel plugs into the holes left from the mounting points for the impact strip, and re-chromed. Anyway, the link to their article is there.

The only difference with the Luv, is that it's a couple inches narrower than a 1st gen S-10. So, we had to take 2" of width out my the bumper and license plate bracket. This was taken out of the middle of both the bumper and the license plate bracket. The bumper mounting brackets from the S-10 were reused with some small modifications.

At this point, the bumper as you see it is ready for chrome. Depending on their schedule, hopefully I'll have this back and on the truck in a month or so. I'll post more pics then.

Attachments:
Rear bumper prechrome.jpg
Rear bumper prechrome.jpg [ 427.64 KiB | Viewed 8879 times ]
Rear Bumper before fab.jpg
Rear Bumper before fab.jpg [ 183.13 KiB | Viewed 8879 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Who is doing rhe chroming? Got a smooth one that needs replating...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:53 pm 

I'm near Salem, Oregon and am going to use the local chrome shop, Cruisin Classics. The guy who did the fab work on the bumper recommended them as doing good work.

No Web page, but their info is: 2655 Salem Dallas Hwy NW, Salem, OR 97304; (503) 378-7883. Let me know if you want me to ask them any questions for you. I plan on calling to check prices and time tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:57 pm 
Feel the Steel

Please post the price, I have a three bumpers and 1 grille I need rechromed. Probably taking them to Denver Bumper unless this guy has a good price.

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:23 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Yes please, post price... 8)

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm 

TILTED wrote:
Please post the price, I have a three bumpers and 1 grille I need rechromed. Probably taking them to Denver Bumper unless this guy has a good price.

I called Cruisin Classics and they told me that chroming the bumpers would take around 10 weeks. They wouldn't quote a price without first seeing the bumpers, which I understand. They said it could range from $250 per bumper and up.

I also called McKenzie Chrom Plating in Springfield, Oregon. Their turn around estimate is 6 weeks and they said most bumbers are around $350-$400, depending on their condition and the level of prep needed. Anyone heard of or have anything to say about McKenzie Chrome?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Need to find out who is doing it for them and cut out the middleman, with that kind of turn around they have to be sending them out...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:31 am 
da LUV masta

I had my very bent front bumper straightened and re-plated locally for $225 and had it back in less than two weeks. That was three years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 am 
Addicted to LUV

swet4more wrote:
I had my very bent front bumper straightened and re-plated locally for $225 and had it back in less than two weeks. That was three years ago.

Who did this for you ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:07 am 
da LUV masta

hotrod80 wrote:
swet4more wrote:

Who did this for you ?

A small shop near the ship channel bridge called:

Auto Chrome Plating Co
8106 E Erath St.
Houston, TX 77012
(713) 921-6295

It has been there forever and is a nice little hole in the wall shop. The son runs the place and his dad did the work to straighten it. He was around 60-65 years old and had been doing this work his whole life. When I called them, their quote was around $150 cheaper than the next quote - so they got my business.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

I called, but they must have been out to lunch as I got a recording.

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:45 pm 
da LUV masta

mytmouz wrote:
I called, but they must have been out to lunch as I got a recording.

Any luck?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:27 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Nope, tried again yesterday somewhat earlier, they may be screening their calls and don't like the out of state area code...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:26 am 

I found a chrome shop in Oregon City that quoted me 3-4 weeks to do the job (www.sbfinishes.com). This is the best wait period I've found in Oregon by at least half. 3 shops quoted 10 weeks and one said 6. Going to bring the rear bumper and a set of door handles up there this week to get a price quote. I'll report back what they say.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

THanks.

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:27 am 

Dropped the bumper and a set of door handles off at Star Bright. Should have them back in a month. The guy (Kevin?) asked a lot of questions about how detailed I wanted the job to be. He noticed every imperfection in the bumper, even stuff the size of a grain of sand. Quoted me $45/handle, and $500 or $800 for the bumper.

For $500, he'd clean the bumper up, polish it, send it for copper, nickel and chrome. That price did not include any additional repairs, soldering, or extra copper.

For $800, he'd tig a few small imperfections, sand blast it, polish, send it out for an initial coat of copper, bring it back and solder all the small imperfections and polish it smooth, send it back out for several more hours of copper, then nickel, and chrome. I went with this option because I figure I've spent enough time getting this thing together that it might as well be perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:52 pm 
Feel the Steel

Not to hijack but an FYI for anyone else in the market. I just got off the phone with Denver Bumper and they quoted me $150 to rechrome my rear bumper. The do high quality work, back in the day I thought they were to expensive, but now it seems pretty reasonable. I know what I am taking on my next trip to Denver! :eugeek
http://denverbumper.com/index.html

RIP R.J.B.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am 

TILTED wrote:
Not to hijack but an FYI for anyone else in the market. I just got off the phone with Denver Bumper and they quoted me $150 to rechrome my rear bumper. The do high quality work, back in the day I thought they were to expensive, but now it seems pretty reasonable. I know what I am taking on my next trip to Denver! :eugeek
http://denverbumper.com/index.html

Not a hijack at all. Ask what each shops process is. From what I found, a lower price meant that a place would spend less time on repairing small pits, tears, dents, etc, less time/or no time in copper, and less time/or no time doing polishing/finish work between dips in material. Some places will even dip in copper twice, doing solder work after the first dip to get better adhesion, then polishing and dipping again for several hours. My point is, the process seems too subjective to say a bumper will cost $X without seeing it, hearing what the owner wants it to look like, and then calculating all the extra labor and material beyond a simple nickel and chrome bath.

The number of shops in Oregon seems low, so maybe they can get away with longer wait times and higher prices. I really hated the idea of having to ship it out to someone I couldn't hold accountable if I needed to.

All that said, I'm definitely interested to hear how your experience with Denver Chrome goes. Thanks.