It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 2.6 engine swap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:17 am 

ok what do i need to do it if i want EFI and what do i get it out of :ebiggrin

Post subject: Re: 2.6 engine swap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:43 am 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

More details needed- what are you swapping it into & what do you have now?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:50 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Howdy,
Well it all depends on what your swaping. For like me im swaping the ford 2.9 V6 that is EFI and the best way to do this and the less wire work, is just to swap all the wiring over for the EFI, Early EFI engines are pretty easy to do, just keep wires the same and take all that came off the donner car. I pulled everything from the ranger, and it all will go into the luv. Early EFI systems are not wired in to the hole car, New stuff is. So it just depends on what your wanting to swap. Swaping EFI in is not hard. Just pug everything back the way it came out and you really should be good. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:25 am 

into a 79 4x4 5 speed luv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 am 

Complete 2.6 engine with all accessories & brackets, hoses, fan, belts, manifolds, motor mounts, wiring & electronics that control the EFI. Engine plate & flywheel from a 2.3 engine & the oilpan from a 2wd 2.3 engine- it will clear on a 2wd LUV, should on a 4wd but not sure. Bigger radiator. A high pressure fuel pump, preferably tank mounted. Then whatever mods you have to do to get everything to fit including relieving the firewall to clear the distributor. The LUV 1.8 has 80hp, the 2.6 EFI has 120hp & more torque & can be increased with a cam & headers.
You can also swap in a 2.6 bottom end with a 2.3 intake & carb & get most of the hp without the EFI. Add a 2.3 head for higher compression & it's right at equal to a stock EFI engine & then add a cam & headers for even more oomph. And yes the smaller chamber head can be swapped to the EFI engine along with any other goodies for the biggest power boost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:36 am 

so is it better to swap a 2.3?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 am 

2.3 & 2.6 are the same basic engine, one just has more displacement & makes more power.
The 2.3 came with the same MSG tranny as your LUV, the 2.6 came with a MUA tranny with a bigger hydraulic clutch that won't clear the LUV tranny bellhousing. The 2.3 oil pan allows for the LUV clutch cable clearance. This is why you have to use some 2.3 parts no matter which engine you choose. You said you wanted to have EFI but you can again use some carbed 2.3 parts on a 2.6 to make an easier swap using your stock fuel pump and miinor wiring mods. For me a carbed version would be easier- this is what I am doing to my old Trooper as soon as the weather gets fit, but I am using the 2.6 for the added available power.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:05 am 

i have to have it all smog legal since i live in California

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 pm 

what did the 2.3 come in?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 pm 

'88-'95 2wd pickups are the most common, but there were some other models. Check the engine compartment, if it's carb'ed it's a 2.3.
If I were you I would check with the smog police before looking any further into this swap, I have heard that you can't swap in any newer engine than the vehicle year & still pass emissions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:18 pm 

u can in cali if u put all smog stuff on it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:42 am 
da LUV masta

do you need a 4WD oil pan?

if a 2.6 4WD oil pan does not fit a 2.3L :?:
then you must find a oil pan from a 86/87 2.3L pup or trooper.

those two years are the only 4wd years, for the 2.3L in the states.

88/95 all 2.3Ls are 2WD ONLY...
86 was the first 2.3L year.
88 was the first 2.6L year.

86 L\B 4X4 gas 5 speed 2.3
the twins, 81 pup and 81 LUV both are diesel 2.2

The Energizer Bunny is trying to keep up, and is starting to gasp for air!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm 

Hello, I actually just completed this swap but into a 4spd 4x4. I used the whole 2.6 4ZE1 motor with eninge mounts, exhaust mani, wiring harness, high pressure fuel pump, all the vacumm swithing valves (v.s.v.), high idle switch, charcoal canitster, radiator, fan, bought a 2.3 clutch and flywheel, starter from trooper, and ECM. The motor bolted right up to the 4spd tranny, just had to make a custom bracket for the cable clutch, just modified the one off of the 1.8. Used the stock motor mounts from the 2.6 just had to drill out new holes on the brackets to make it fit in the engine bay. I used the oil pan from the 4x4 2.6, had to remove the sump pan to make it clear the cross member. Need to be careful not to damage the oil pickup tube on the crossmember, but it does fit in there then just bolt the pan back on when it is in. I heard you can use the starter off of the luv, but the trooper starter is a more high output starter. Am going to do a write up on this when I get a chance to write everything down for the all of the swap including wiring and mounting the engine. I just got the truck up and running about a week ago and drove it home, needed a new ECM though mine that i had was bad. It is a cool swap drove the truck for the first time Monday with the good ECM it has a lot more power than the little 1.8l.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:38 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

How much did you have to modify the firewall for the dist? Or did you move the motor forward a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:19 am 

Am going to try to move the motor a bit forward, drove the truck this morning into work and the truck vibrated like the motor is rubbing on something. Anyways i had to pound the firewall back about 1.5" or so, the distributor is tight in there but has about 1/4" of space from the firewall and the distributor mounting bolt. Right now it does not want to find idle it surges up and down so I might have a vacumm leak somewhere. Am going to take some photos of it later today and post them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

The reason I was asking is I've done one already and in order to get the dist out while the engine is still in the truck you have to move the firewall a pretty good bit, Mine was a 2.3 but there the same.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:16 pm 
PITA Old Fart

Considering you just doubled your hp and torque without adding much weight at all - I'd say that was $$ well spent.

I've said it all before and I'll say it again - if Chevy/Isuzu would have put the right engine and trans in luvs and kept making them - they would have sold like hell. A low geared wimpy 75 hp max mini-truck that wouldn't go over 60 mph downhill with a good tailwind was doomed to failure.

But a tricked-out stepside luv with a newer rearend, a bigger beefier engine, and a 5speed tranny is a kick in the ass to drive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:00 pm 

Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause a vibration throughout the truck when the engine is just running not even moving? The engine is running fine with no mis or hiccups while ideling. It is like the motor is rubbing on something and making the whole truck vibrate but there is space between the back of the motor and the firewall, and the tranny is sitting in the stock location in the tranny well. kind of driving me crazy, especially when you get out of the truck and you still feel like you are vibrating. Just wondering on stuff that i could check.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 am 
PITA Old Fart

The only thing that quickly comes to mind is not having sufficient rubber dampening on your engine/trans mounts. Years ago, when building a race car, I found out the hard way that metal to metal mounts with no rubber in between makes for one hell of a vibrating vehicle.

Build a custom motorcycle like that and it's nearly impossible to ride. So I guy I know that tried to build his own custom chopper found out...lol

Other than that...if your flywheel is balanced and the bolts all match, and your harmonic balancer on the front of the crank is OK, and your fan is on correctly, and your timing belt is on correctly...then I'll be damned if I can think of anything else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am 

Figured out the rattle, am going to need to push back the fire wall more the distributor tab is still rubbing. But ran the car again this weekend and wow....what a difference in power am stoked on my swap. I should have pictures up soon on it.