LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:13 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Must be a maintainer, lol. Just keep us posted and have fun with it!

My '76 LUV and Impulse 5-speed for sale:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24576

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:45 pm 

lol yep. A-10 R&R.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:06 pm 

Ok just a little update. Progress has been SLOW!!!!!! So many not truck things keep comming up. I do my best to ignore them but I have been bogged down none the less. So I had my machinist friend working on cutting and welding the 2 perches together to make one that would work but he has changed his mind and thinks that if I get the engine stabbed in place he can just custom fab me up perches/mounts that would work a lot better. Either way here is the progress so far
sorry that one came out blurry here it is from the back. What we did was cut off the stock luv ears that didn't fit the pattern. The perches of the 2.0 had a much closer group that could be put right inside the luv perch
here is the stock to show what we did to it
If I can get the engine stabbed this weekend and have him come out and take a look I may have some drawings or somthing to show what we are gong to do to post up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Any progress on your project? Hope things are going well!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:57 am 

Ok after a LOT of bad info from this site I have some updates. I got the motor in and stabbed to the trans, and it in no way fits. Yes the motor will bolt to the trans but that is where the compatibility ends. To make this work I would have to cut out the pan/plate thing that goes in the front over the front diff, cut off the perches and make something new to line up with the 2.0 and I haven't even gotten to the remote oil filter that doesn't fit or any of the other lines ect.... This is going to be a TON of fabbing. Now I went with this motor because everyone kept saying "it will bolt right up". I don't mind some fabbing but I needed a motor that would look close to stock (a 4 banger in the right spot that said isuzu would have worked) because here in MO I can't swap to a motor that did not come as an option for the car (so stupid). So like I said I don't mind fabbing but I won't ever be able to get tags for this thing with out the help of a "friend" and not too many of my MO inspector friends are going to do it year after year. If I had known I would have had to do so much fabbing for a 2.0 to go in I would have just used the running good 4.3 I already had. At this point this project has turned into something I don't want. I don't want a truck I can't get tags for and I lack the time and money for all the custom work that would have to go into this project, however I do still love this truck and would like to see it get finshed (at least one day). I would like to sell the truck and the 2.0 with all my parts for $1000 to someone on this site. This is stupid low but I really just need to move on I think. If anyone wants it send me a PM. If no one wants it I will try and part it out. Sorry to let you all down!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:56 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

I wonder if all of the info was relating to a 4x2 and not the 4x4... that really stinks, though! I hope things work out for you one way or the other. I'm still pressing forward with my swap after a small hiccup of finances. Just got the engine and transmission split and the engine on a stand to work on. This weekend will be plugging emissions equipment and getting the block prepped for paint. Will be a really slow process because I'm only able to work on it on the weekends. :esad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:18 pm 

No it was for 4x4. Heck if you look a few posts back you can see someone say to swap the oil pans, and they aren't even close. O well not the end of the world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:54 am 

Ok well I have an update if anyone is still looking. The project is back on!! After doing a lot more reading the perches on a 2.3 that came in p'ups SHOULD bolt up to the 2.0 AND put the mounts in the correct area! I'll just have to buy motor mounts for a p'up. Right now I'm just trying to track down someone who will sell me just perches. I have looked at all the pictures I could find (no p'ups in the pick n pulls here) and from all I can see it should put me back in the ball park of no/minimal modding. SCORE! Street legal here i come! So with any luck I may have another pic filled update with PROGRESS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:33 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

lived in mo growing up... Joplin to be exact.... you can put whatever the hell motor you want in that thing... i dropped a 406 in a s10 years ago and had no problem passing inspection..... smog is exempt because of the year....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:16 pm 

No not in all areas. They have cracked down on motor changes. MO inspection law states that you cannot swap a motor into a car that was never an option for. I know people know pleny of "good ole boys" that will pass it and you can get lucky some times and they won't catch it but if I would rather have something that looks stock so I have a better shot of slipping it by. Its such a stupid law.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 am 

I'm glad to see you didn't give up on this project. I have been struggling with that same problem myself with my Impulse.

BTW man, if you want information on any of the G or Z series engines (including mounts) don't forget about us RWD Isuzoners. We may be few and far between but we are all fanatical and complete nerds. If I don't know it, Madcat or getnhi will.

Any and all Z series mount brackets will interchange. There is no real difference between any of the blocks with the exception of the 2.6 having a taller deck height due to the larger stroke creating a need for it to keep rod ratios friendly. Heck, you can swap around just about everything on these engines with the exception of water pumps (2.6 pump fin design is SLIGHTLY different, but pattern is the same still). and a couple of the 2.6 bracket mount points (due to taller deck height).

Heck, find me a good condition 4ze1 and MUA-5 (4x2) from an Amigo, trooper, etc. and ill come help you slap that engine in there lol. My V6 dreams are falling by the wayside. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm 

UPDATE!

I'm back in the money!! I just my my perches off a first gen trooper with a 2.6 in it and it matches up 100% with the 2.0 block and the stock mount locations of the LUV. I need to pull my engine back out and put the perches on. From what I could tell where it is now I will need to grind down some of the edges of the perches because on the pass side they seem to contact the remote oil line mounting bolt and on the driver side the upper ear seems to contact the turbo area. Nothing major but will need a little shave to get it all to line up perfect. I'll post some pics this weekend of the before and after. Hell I may just get this thing done before summer ends!

If anyone else follows me down this road in the future the perches you need will come off a rodeo / pup / amigo / trooper with a 2.3 4ZD1 or a 4ZE1 2.6 that replaced the 2.3 on isuzu 4x4 models. Year ranges are from 81~90.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:55 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Just wanted to tell you this has been real exciting for all of us "bench racers" who have been following your progress! Please keep us posted with the updates. Always interesting to read about someone doing something new like this!!
One suggestion if I may, when you get this thing running, watch out for pre igniton or "pinging", these Jap transmission do not like it and they have a tendency to strip the gears off the main shaft under heavy detonation. Was a real problem when turboing the Toyota 20-22 R engines a few years ago. Might be a good investment to buy a MSD Boost retard that will automatically retard your timing when the engine pings, this is what the factory Turbos went to.. Check with Dr. Frankenstein, he can probably tell you more because of his involvements with the Buick Turbo V6s
Good luck,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 pm 

Ok here is the update from the weekend. Again things did NOT go as I had hoped. I ordered a flywheel part # NFW3301. This flywheel will in NO WAY go on the impulse 2.0. I had to return it and order the other one listed NFW4004. I also ordered a clutch kit beck/arnley that I also won't really be able to use. The clutch friction disk in it is correct, 24 spline and 8 and 7/8 (only the impulse had this size clutch I found out 99% of all other isuzus had 8 1/2) but the pressure plate will not fit on my flywheel. Also the the throw out bearing will not fit on the luv "thing" (what is the name for what it rides on?) so thats also out. So really I paid like $150 for a crap friction disk. Now I'm looking to order a correct pressure plate so I can bolt all this up. I will also need some 85 troober 2.3 engine mounts because the luv ones will not fit on the new perches (luv has 2 bolts, trooper only has 1). HOWEVER some forward progress was made! Here are the pictures of the perches installed on the engine.
Here is the driver side perch
Here is the pass side one
Now on the drivers side you can see the coolent line going into the block is VERY close to where the perch mounts (yellow) and the turbo oil return line will fit inside the perch I just need some new flexable line to connect to the pan.
here it is installed. I will have just enough room to slip a hose and a clamp on.
here is the oil line inside
now on the pass side I have a minor problem. It seems the oil cooler adapter has a bolt that hangs out too far and hits the mount. I'm taking it to work today to see if I can shave it down far enough to clear. I thought it was just a bolt but when I removed it there was a spring inside. I'm going to guess its some sort of pressure relief if the cooler gets pluged up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:49 pm 
Addicted to LUV

very nice.
looks VERY frustrating but im sure it will be worth it in the end!
im planning to custom make new manifolds and turbo my spare g180.. if i blow it up whoop de doo its the spare and i will know not to do it that way next time XD
any idea which turbo the g200 uses??? compressor and turbine housing sizes and such?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:25 am 

Well first off it's not a g200. I thought it would be to but the g series is a different engine. 2.0 turbo form the 80's impulse is a 4ZC1-T. That is where all my troubles came in! I thought it was a g series also. The turbo used is a RHB5. There is VERY little info on this turbo. Turbine housing A/R is 0.59 and a 45mm compressor inlet and blows it out through a 43mm discharge nozzle. The only common interchange is the turbo thunderbird also used a RHB5 and the parts can be used to upgrade the impulse one. I'm not really all that worried about boost. The stock 7~9 is more than enough. I would just like the engine to last because it will be a pain to source another one. Hell it should be around the 150hp range with about 30ish mpg on the highway any way(well we will see how much my low gears eat up), what more could a luv ask for! I'm also getting a friend to CNC me out some new badges/grill. I know in the GM world that GMC always made the "pro" version of what ever chevy had so when I'm done I will change it all to a GMC "HATE"! Hyper Automobile Turbo Engine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:22 am 
Addicted to LUV

EPIC!!! lol
i was asking for reference to about what size i will need to be on the hunt for for my spare g180. and the boost will be just a bit higher on the 1.8... then with a proper BOV and wastegate and intercooler... considerably higher :lol:

MACK
Monsterous
Aftermarket
Charger
Kit
:lol:
so what parts are you waiting on now? that sounds like it was a hell of a run around trying to Lego a power/drivetrain togather out of a few engines! if i didnt have a 4x4 i would swap mine out... but since i do... turbo :twisted:

does anyone else happen to have a hood ornament hole drilled by front of the hood? i have a hole with nothing in it. no idea....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 pm 

Going to boost a g180 huh? Good luck to ya! Are you going to get a computer from something else? Are you going to beef up the 180 or just push boost in till the inside of the motor becomes the outside? From what I can discover the 2.0 that was made to be boosted still doesn't like it all that much so I can only imagine how angry a 180 would get! Also the 2.0 turbos for the parts are getting REALLY hard to find but I guess the later troopers came boosted also so maybe that would be a way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:07 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Crinos96 wrote:
Going to boost a g180 huh? Good luck to ya! Are you going to get a computer from something else? Are you going to beef up the 180 or just push boost in till the inside of the motor becomes the outside? From what I can discover the 2.0 that was made to be boosted still doesn't like it all that much so I can only imagine how angry a 180 would get! Also the 2.0 turbos for the parts are getting REALLY hard to find but I guess the later troopers came boosted also so maybe that would be a way to go.

since the compression ratio in a g180 is 8.5:1. 8 pounds of boost wont hurt much XD i figure if i go a step farther and throw a G200 head on it i will get the bigger valves AND an even lower compression ratio and be pretty much safe to run 10 psi without any damage
and im thinking either a modified TBI swap with a megasquirt ECU,
OR... the better option. a self made multi point fuel injection manifold. i have a friend that has the intake, throttle body, sensors, injectors, fuel rail, harness etc... off of a civic that was running like 18 psi boost he is trying to sell me for $50... ditch the manifold and adapt the parts (injectors, TB, sensors, custom rail, new fuel pump etc... to one i make to fit the g180 and all i need is a megasquirt some programming and a turbo manifold. which im gonna end up having to make also. good thing i can weld :lol:

gemracing from australia is running a g180 at 600hp in a drag Gemini
http://gemracing.webs.com/currentcarspecs.htm
so i figure pushing 150-225 isnt out of the question with a stock bottom end, a lightly ported head, cam, BOOST, fuel injection and electronic ignition. with the needed mods to keep it reliable.

its gonna be an adventure for sure lol. but hopefully i will have something one of a kind when im done. not a lot of people turbo the g180 or even keep it once performance comes into mind. and since i have a 4x4 my options for simple swaps are pretty much 0. i would LIKE to have my truck show worthy one of these days so something one off and custom will be the way to go!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:06 am 

Ok more progress! I finally got the flywheel / clutch inatalled. The pressure plate wasn't the correct type but we used washers to space it out. We had to guess about how many to use but somehow we managed to guess it correct on the first try! The clutch works just as it should. I did discover that the trooper mounts I got that match the perches are too tall and are about 2 inches to far aft to line up. We lined up the old luv engine mounts and they are the correct size and line up but they have 2 bolts and the trooper has 1 so I will have to drill some new holes but I don't think it will be to bad. The oil pan does clear the cross member but it does contact the front diff a little so I will be bashing it in a little. Also as already said before the firewall will need to be bashed in to make room for the dizzy. Other than that it looks like it should just clear all the way around everywhere else. We pulled the engine out to redrill the perches and now that I know it all works I'm going to start on the fuel lines and the computer install now. Its looking like we should be up running in around a month! Since we had it in we did a compression test and 1 and 4 have 170psi and 2 and 3 have 150psi so I think I'm good there. I have more pics but I'm posting on my phone so they will have to wait till later.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next