LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:24 pm 

Ok so I have started my swap of a 2.0 turbo 4zc1-T from an 89 Impulse. This is going to be the biggest project I have ever attempted, so I'm a little worried I'm going to mess something up. As it goes so far I have the "new" motor and have started to strip my old one out. I wanted to try and put up a lot of pictures because of all the people I have seen talk about this swap I haven't seen ANY pictures of it. To start us off here are some pics of my truck right after I got it, paid $300 to have it pulled out of a field and towed to the house, had to spend $120 to get it to pass inspection.
Here it is after a home paint job($90) and right before the swap started
Here is the motor I picked up ($650)
Here is the poor little 1.8 that gave it's life(no kidding blew up in the driveway after I got home with the new motor) It's ok little guy, after 3 decades of service and abuse you can die now.......
Well thats it for now. Also I was going to rebuild my engine, but found one is good shape so I picked it up with a parts truck so swap in later. After that I found the 2.0 turbo and now no longer need the spare 1.8. I can't find the place to post parts for sale so I'm just going to put it up here. I have 2 G180's now that I don't need, one is crap and one "should" (never started it for more than a second) be good. It's buy one get one free! Also my parts truck is a 2wd and has a good trans if someone wants it. Really the entire drive train is intact and I don't have a use for it if some one needs it. I can also part it out of someone wants but I don't want to go too crazy with shipping. I also pulled all the AC stuff out of my truck for the swap for I have that to. If anyone would like this stuff I will give away most anything people want that is small, and charge very little for motors and trans ect if you want to come get this. Thanks everyone and wish me luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good luck, and don't forget to swap the 4x4 oil pan to the 2.0...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:58 pm 

Yes well that was what someone else said before, but after I removed the 2 i found out they are not even close to the same. The 2.0 oil pan is about 2 inches (or so) shorter so I can't swap them, however it does seem they it may still clear the x member. I'll put some pics of them up later.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:12 pm 

Here are some pics I took of the pans. In the first one you can see the LUV pan on the right is a good bit longer than the 2.0 turbo pan
However I think it may just clear because it seem it's not a lot deeper than the 4X4 pan anyway, even if it is a little off I think I can bash it up to where it needs to be

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:47 pm 

Here is a shot of my bay before I painted
And here it is after paint
I know it's not that great, but for one days work it sure as hell is better than it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:15 am 

Nice progress. I joined up just to follow this build :ebiggrin

That and to make sure you got the message that your MAF and Resistor will be on the way Weds (off to work again yay). so hopefully you will get them after next weekend. If you still need any of that intake pipe send me a message on the Zone. I dont need any of my factory 2.0L stuff anymore.

One side note i wanted to include with the 4ZC1-T engine that not many people know about is the factory fuel rail cooling fan. You might not have a problem with vapor lock in that truck engine bay, but Isuzu took steps to ensure it didnt happen to the Turbo impulses. Just something to know if it starts giving you problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:24 pm 

Thanks man. I did see something in the wire diagram I had about a fuel rail cooling fan. If it happens I'll look into it. One of the first things I'm going to do when I get it running is give all the temps a good look over. Do you know what stock temp was for the 2.0? And do you know at what boost the wastegate will creep open? I know on my typhoon if you take out the controller it will creep open and only make 8psi (of 15). I just want to run very low boost at first so I can see how the motor is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

What are you doing about the mounts? Are you making your own or using 2.3L Pup units? Do you know if the perches have to be modified?

My '76 LUV and Impulse 5-speed for sale:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24576

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:13 pm 

Well I haven't gotten that far yet. So I can't just swap the mounts from the 1.8 over to the 2.0? They look to have the same bolt pattern, or will they be too sort or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 am 

Ok so I looked at the mounts. The 2.0 mounts have a tirangle bolt patter and the stock luv mounts are a long 4 bolt patter.....however it looks like if I flip the mounts to the other side they line up with 2 of the 3 holes. Not sure how I'm going to go about this yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:15 pm 

Ok so here is the plan. I'm going to get a friend to cut the feet off of my luv mounts and weld on a new plate that will line up with the 4ZC1 bolt pattern. Good things I have friends with welders..... I'll put up some pics of it when It's done...if it works....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Definitely let me know! I've got access to a welder but won't have my donor with me for a month or so. Would love to be there giving you a hand!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:51 pm 

Sure thing. Should be able to get it done tomorrow I think. I was looking at you're posts and it seems we have the same project. Do you have a 4X4? You were going to take the 5 speed to right? I'm going to stick with the 4 speed....for now..... :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Yeah, going with the 5-speed just for mpg purposes and for keeping the speedo correct. Going to install the 5-speed first just so I can address the yolk issue (if there is one) prior to gutting it so I don't have any unneeded downtime. My trucks a 4x2, though, so it'll be a little less complicated, but not that much.

Can't wait to see your progress, will post mine when I'm able to begin.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am 

Factory boost on the 4ZC1-T is 7psi. That is what the wastegate is set at, and the factory pop-off valve only allows a slight overboost to around 8-9psi before it opens. There is no blow off valve on these engines from the factory. The pop-off valve is the metal cylinder on the front of the upper intake manifold. If you search on the Zone for "Boost mod" in the RWD section there was a whole thread about it.

BTW, im hoping i can get your parts mailed today. If I can't im going to ask my friend to mail them off for me since im only home one day during the week. It will be sent out before this weekend either way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:20 pm 

Ok cool. I ask because I don't have the stepper motor to control the wastegate/ that setup so I was just going to let it creep open for now and once I have it all installed and running good I was going to do stuff like boost. Also don't worry about the parts, when ever you can send them is fine, beggars can't be choosers! Looks like I have to fab up some motor mount adaptors any way so I have hit sort of a snag.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:07 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Hey Crinos, how's it going? I'm deadlocked because I still don't have my car with me. Keeps us updated, love to hear how it's going!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 am 

Sorry I have stalled out a bit. I'm having to fab up my own perches/mounts so it is taking some time because I have to get work friends with tools to help me out. Also I have to wait for some engine parts I'm missing, but as soon as I can make some progress again I'll be sure to post it up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 am 
da LUV masta

Crinos96 wrote:
Sorry I have stalled out a bit. I'm having to fab up my own perches/mounts so it is taking some time because I have to get work friends with tools to help me out. Also I have to wait for some engine parts I'm missing, but as soon as I can make some progress again I'll be sure to post it up!

Any more pics?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:10 pm 

Not at the moment. All I have been able to work on is laying out the wire harness and replacing the oil pan gasket and rear main seal, boring stuff. I ment to get some pics of the mounts before and after they got all cut up but I forgot to get the before shots so all I'll have is the afters. Right now I'm working on how to make up the 4 or so inches off the frame mounts will be to the motor. I'm not sure if we are going to cut the supports off the frame and move them back or build some sort of bracket to make up the distance. From a rough guess (I haven't dropped the engine in yet for the real deal) the old engine was around 24 or so inches long and the mounts being in the middle put them right about 1 foot from the trans. The 4zc1-t is only about 18 inches long and the mouts want to rest about 8 inches from the trans. After I get my perches back I'm going to bolt them all up, drop the engine in so I know exactly the distance I'm trying to make up and if it is short enough I'm going to try and fab up a bracket to clear the gap, if it's too long or if I don't think it will hold I'll have to get a bit more in depth with the relocation of the mounts. I'm looking at a lot of 16 hour days (stupid military making me work for my money!) so I'm going to be dead in the water for at least another week. Sucks! I want my mini mudder!