LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My very own 78
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:20 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Hey guys, I've been on the site for awhile, had my share of troubles, owned 3 different luvs, 2 at the moment (72,78).
Both of my luvs have been sitting for quite awhile and I have been driving an 87 jetta as of late, but the other day the timing belt stripped. It was just the motivation I needed, so I pulled the head on my 79 engine (previously in my 72) and redid the head gasket. That engine/trans replaced the 80 e/t that was in the 78 luv.

So now im driving an orange/primer longbed 78 luv with 79 g180 and standard 4spd. It runs a little hot and I'm still using the freakin hitachi......

- Today I put on an MSD 6a module, which REALLY smoothed everything out. Really, it was drastic.
- On the 12th I'll be getting my rebuild/linkage kit for my 32/36 weber which will promptly replace the hitashitty.
- I'll be completely gutting the interior and starting over. I'll be rubber coating the lower inside of the cab (pretty much everything below the rear window) and then eventually carpeting.
- I plan on getting bucket seats and building a center console.
- I think i'll smooth the dash face and get digital guages and carpet the top of the dash. painted black.
- i'll be primering and rubber coating the undersides of the fenders, bed, and hood, possibly under the cab.
- I may primer and paint the frame black.
- I'm thinking a dark purple for the final exterior color.
- Black wheels.
- completely black interior.
- rhino/arma coated bed black
- eventually an alternator upgrade
- electric fan + new radiator for better cooling.
- header + all new exhaust (NO, it WILL NOT sound like a civic with a 2 foot tall wing.)
I'm sure things will continue to develop, but thats what i see in my future at this point.

Now, the funny story that accompanied installing the msd 6a:
I have my fuel pump relay bypassed, its wired to the coil with a fuse. After I hooked up the msd I couldn't figure out why the truck kept stalling, kept sounding like it was starving, i kept scratching my head though. finally found that the 6a is greedy and wants a full 12v and it still didnt click cus i was thinking "well, the alt should cover both the msd and the pump right?". after several test drives and a bit of being annoyed I realized that the coil is wired straight to the battery (duh) and isn't affected by the alternator....... silly me. so I wired the fuel pump to the washer fluid squirter instead since mine is missing. All is good now! :)

I welcome all input of course, and im mainly posting this to keep me motivated to post progress (read: to make progress)

-jwalk0n
(Caleb of Eugene, OR)

Post subject: Re: My very own 78
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Well the other day I got my rebuild kit for my weber and put it all on and took it out on the road, TONS of fun. So responsive and when I get into the second barrel it flys!

That was until yesterday.... since this was my only vehicle I rushed things a bit and didn't button up everything as I should have... and yesterday it stopped running well. One of my adapter plates BROKE! so I have a huge vacuum/gas leak. Can't drive it obviously so it's sitting in a bad neighborhood in a darkened parking lot.... :(

Hopefully I can get one of my hitachis working properly and bring it home... oh, its also burning oil really bad.
It's so disappointing. Good things with this truck always seem to fall apart at the peak of my excitement.
I have a wedding coming up this summer so I have had to really skimp on stuff lately so my truck will probably just sit for awhile...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Threw one of my hitachis together enough to get the truck home...with the timing still adjusted for the weber so it sputtered a little. now its sitting in the garage :(

I bought an 82 concord to replace it until I can get things together

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 am 
da LUV masta

do you have any pics?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:29 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

of the concord or luv? i dont have pics of either, and im kinda sad about my truck because its just failing right now... i shoulda just saved up a little money and done the engine right. its burning/leaking oil like crazy and barely drives.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 am 
da LUV masta

jwalk0n wrote:
of the concord or luv? i dont have pics of either, and im kinda sad about my truck because its just failing right now... i shoulda just saved up a little money and done the engine right. its burning/leaking oil like crazy and barely drives.

The LUV, but pics of both would be cool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:33 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

well, still don't have pics but i've got some extra money (shh, dont tell the fiancee).
So i'm going to do a partial top end rebuild. I need to replace the piston rings, head gasket and valve cover gasket for sure, and i got all the leftover pieces from the last top end kit i had (all the little stuff that i didnt do cus i was in a hurry).
So, easiest way to replace the rings? And which ones do I buy? Oreillys doesnt sell them, even though their website shows them, and Napa's site has a lot of choices and measurements that I don't have. I have a Chiltons, GM, and Haynes manual, so if the info is there i'll find it eventually, but if somebody knows off the top of their head, or have any tricks of the trade to share, please do.

thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting my truck back. again.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 am 
Addicted to LUV

Start by pulling the motor and putting it on a engine stand as you are going to be tearing it completely down. Then get on E-Bay and find the parts for your G-180.This will not be the easiest way but the only way unless you are into allot of self inflicted pain.