LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:37 am 
Hey guys,

I own a 72 Chevy Luv that currently has a SBC 350 in it along with a Turbo 350. It is my intent to put a big block Chevy into this truck along with a Turbo 400. If any of you have done this before, what additional modifications will I have to make to the engine compartment and front suspension if any to get this combo to fit in this truck? I am guessing I will have to push the firewall back a few inches and enlarge the tranny tunnel but I wanted to hear from someone who has done this so I don't start this swap blind. Thanks much.

Brent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:40 am 
Addicted to LUV

We have at least one active member that has a 455 Buick and a 4-speed. I am not sure if we have any of the BBC guys are posting right now... We have a LS1 going into a truck too. But sometimes I can't remember $hit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:44 am 
Addicted to LUV

This is a current post on a transmission post with some transmission information you might find useful.

http://forums.luvtruck.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21610

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:37 am 
Addicted to LUV

If you want to keep it fairly simple i would leave the TH350 and put in the big block. Now keep in mind that you are adding a lot of weight to the front so it will handle allot different then you are used to and there are some members here who have no problems with BBC in there trucks.

I know a kid who had a very nasty 406 and 4sp. in a Ford Courier that that handled pretty good but when the 406 blew up he put a 454 in it still a 4sp and it would not handle at all and was all over the track at the race's bad enough that we ran him off (unsafe).But like i said there are people who make it work so do your home work and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

tj white is correct:
There is a BBC Luv that run up here in modified bracket class, but it is a race car only. I am sure it has a 4 link rear suspension system that can be dialed in. It has been around for a long time.A friend of mine went up from a mild 454 to a 540 in his Nova that was on his son's bracket dragster and he had to put a throttle stop on it so it could be controlled on the track. It was squirrely on the track. The Nova is a race car only and a full race chassis car. He even narrowed the rear chassis, new shorter 9" and bigger slicks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the weight seems totally unresonable.

what is the advantage?

massive torque that is super hard to hook?

IMHO there are much better choices for a luv chassis then a BBC.

A.j.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:23 pm 

i lived in houston and seen a full on drag truck with a bbc it hooked hard ..... don't know if hey was sprayin or not. seen him at hmp 1/8mile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:37 am 
A big block Chevy only weight 75 additional pounds when compared to a small block. As people have mentioned, you can get them to hook up and that is what I intend to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

:econfused

Small block Chevy 550 lbs.
Big block Buick 575 lbs.
Cadillac 472-500 625 lbs.
Big block Chevy 700 lbs.

All values within 25 lbs. and with iron heads

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:08 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

454luv wrote:
A big block Chevy only weight 75 additional pounds when compared to a small block. As people have mentioned, you can get them to hook up and that is what I intend to do.

sure it does.

A.j.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:30 am 
Addicted to LUV

dr_frankenstein56 wrote:
454luv wrote:

sure it does.

A.j.

The problem is you are adding the "75 LBS :roll: " to the wrong end of the truck.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:39 pm 
Umm actually it's about 575 pounds vs. 685 pounds (both having cast iron intakes). So 110 pounds difference. The motor that I am putting in it will have aluminum heads. So yeah, it will be around a 75 pound difference.

So to Frankenhead, before you start sounding like you know everything, check your math skills. Next thing your going to tell me is that the big block will never fit because it's 9 inches longer front to back, 3 feet taller and 19 inches wider. :lol:

And to Luvrv8, with the 31 x 18.5 Hoosier slicks in the back with a four link, I think I will be able to get it to hook even if that 75 pounds is going to the front instead of the rear...:roll:

http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 pm 
Addicted to LUV

700 lbs is the normal rule of thumb for a BBC. Differences in each engine are different. Most people are not looking at the lightest figure. 550-575 lbs is for a SBC. Ask around most boards and that is the responce you will get.

A 4bt cummins is 100 lbs heavier than a BBC. Is it exact, I don't know but that is what we use on the 4bt site.

The problem is do not come asking for help and start replying with a attitude. 5 Posts does not a expert make. People are trying to help.. Don't like their help, feel free to leave. Big slicks and a 4-link is not all it takes to launch and safely go down the track .

Just my opinion. I am through.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:41 pm 
Looking back at the posts, I was not the one starting with the attitude. In fact, I started out this thread with a "thanks". So because I am new here and only posted "5" times, that sums up my life experience huh? Whatever.

I never claimed to be an expert, far from it in fact, but I have rebuit a motor or two in my day and my weight figures on this build are pretty accurate. I'm done arguing about it as well. There are other sites that offer professional and constructive criticism and are much more active than this site. So I think I'll take your advice and leave. Your "attitude" along with a couple of others here do a "great" service to this forum. Keep up the good work.

To those of you who gave useful advice I appreciate your responses to my question.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:25 am 
Addicted to LUV

Wow, 31X18.5 rear tires, wish I had those.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:25 am 
da LUV masta

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:39 pm 
Addicted to LUV

454luv wrote:
Looking back at the posts, I was not the one starting with the attitude. In fact, I started out this thread with a "thanks". So because I am new here and only posted "5" times, that sums up my life experience huh? Whatever.

I never claimed to be an expert, far from it in fact, but I have rebuit a motor or two in my day and my weight figures on this build are pretty accurate. I'm done arguing about it as well. There are other sites that offer professional and constructive criticism and are much more active than this site. So I think I'll take your advice and leave. Your "attitude" along with a couple of others here do a "great" service to this forum. Keep up the good work.

To those of you who gave useful advice I appreciate your responses to my question.

Well, when some here who ALREADY have some of the insight you asked for replied, you wanted to argue. (And I have built MANY engines, and an amuminum headed BBC is WAY more than 75 lbs heavier than an iron smallblock by the way, in fact, an all aluminum BBC is about that much heavier, I Know this to be true, as I scaled it before the install...) That is the reason for the testy response you recieved. I was at the track this past weekend, there were 3 LUVs running, 2 bbc trucks and a sbc truck. The sbc got down track uneventfully, and both the bbc trucks had traction issues. There was a blown 71 Chevelle there that was picking up the front wheels at mid track, so why were the 2 bbc trucks having issues? Weight transfer. Now, as far as going to other, more active sites because you don't like the answers you recieve here, "Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out..."

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:02 pm 
Addicted to LUV

:smt023

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:24 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Just for interest, I have an engine swap guide that was printed years and years ago, it states the following weights:sb Ford 302-480 lbs, sbc-540 lbs, bbc-640 lbs. These are stock engine weights, not aluminum heads, etc. One thing that will make a swap from a sbc to a bbc is the motor mounts, starter, alternator, distributor and water hose sizes are all the same for both.
I am still fighting a major traction problem with my sbc 383 powered 78 Luv. When it hooks up well it also wants to go sideways!

I have asked for help on this problem before and appreciate all of your suggestions, especially the ones about watching my steering wheel grip and preloading the 9" Ford's right side.

Happy New Year to all!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

mytmouz wrote:
Well, when some here who ALREADY have some of the insight you asked for replied, you wanted to argue. (And I have built MANY engines, and an amuminum headed BBC is WAY more than 75 lbs heavier than an iron smallblock by the way, in fact, an all aluminum BBC is about that much heavier, I Know this to be true, as I scaled it before the install...) That is the reason for the testy response you recieved. I was at the track this past weekend, there were 3 LUVs running, 2 bbc trucks and a sbc truck. The sbc got down track uneventfully, and both the bbc trucks had traction issues. There was a blown 71 Chevelle there that was picking up the front wheels at mid track, so why were the 2 bbc trucks having issues? Weight transfer. Now, as far as going to other, more active sites because you don't like the answers you recieve here, "Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out..."

LMAO... Thank you......

I think somebody get busted being a "moms basement warrior"

sense we all seem to be unknowing of the magical ultra light BBC casting that magically appeared from the GM heavens.

get out some scales and prove us wrong then (this word was edited by Tilted).

A.j.