LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 9 inch questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

Come to think of it i might go 53" and run a 4.5 bs . for rim avalibility .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

This sounds like an excellent idea, the above specs. should work out very well, You can also use wheel spacers to gain an extra 1/2" to 1" in clearance. I would recommend you install Moroso Racing studs if you do use spacers.
To be extra safe you should have the spacers made so they fit snugly over the axle hub and a small shoulder that fits inside of the wheels. I have a machine shop close by that made some like the above for less than $100. Mine actually fit well enough so that the wheels will set on these spacers without even having any wheel bolts holding them in place.
Just a thought, I think you are on the right path.

Good luck, thanks for sharing your ideas,

dusty scjconv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:10 pm 
da LUV masta

this is just anthor one of my hodgepodge ideas. instead of narrowing the fram and tubeing the inside of the bed couldnt u just put stepside fenders on the outside of the fleetside to make it look kinda like a dually truck. with the axle shortened to 52in to run stock leaf springs???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm 
Addicted to LUV

luv75/77 wrote:
this is just anthor one of my hodgepodge ideas. instead of narrowing the fram and tubeing the inside of the bed couldnt u just put stepside fenders on the outside of the fleetside to make it look kinda like a dually truck. with the axle shortened to 52in to run stock leaf springs???

Please tell me you are kidding

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:19 pm 
da LUV masta

like i said one of my hodgepodge :lol: ideas? that would be legal right cuz the tires artn sticking out? ohh btw im not gona do it

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:21 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

I think that is a workable idea, that is one of the really great things about this site, exchanging ideas. Did you get a chance to check out the Luv "car hauler" that was on e-bay. Hope it had a "V8"
Wonder how the guy who was installing a Ford 289 in his Luv is doing, haven't heard from him lately?
Take care,

dusty scjconv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:27 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

scjconv you said you was or had used a rear end out of a Ford van, What year model and what was the width I might be able too find one of these.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:05 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

In regards to the Ford Van that I pulled a 9" out of? It was way to wide, but the vans are so numerous that they are the easiest to find.
The narrowest 9' that I know of is still to wide for use in a LUV. The narrowest 8 ", (which is plenty strong-up to 900+ horsepower) is 54". These are out of a Maverick-Comet 302 powered "Grabber" model only, so they are hard to find , but I used one of these with a Buick V6 and later a sbc for almost 3 years. One of the advandages of these 8"ers is that in order to use one, all you have to do is grind off the old axle mounts and weld on new saddles, (I welded my new saddles on while the new 8" was positioned on the Luv springs) You can get these spring saddles in different axle sizes from Summitt, Jeg's, or Currie Ent. They have a hole pre drilled for the axle spring center bolts so they are self centering, all you have to do measure and set the new axle on them and weld them up. Be sure you "spot weld" them and keep the axles cool while welding so you don't destroy the rubber inner axle seals. Also be sure to get the driveline angle correct. These axles are still about 3" wider than a stock Luv, but by using later model Mustang wheels, 15,16, or 17" with a 5 1/2" backspacing the tires still fit under the bed.

I finally went to a 9" when I swapped in a "383" and wanted a Equa Lock rear end. This I had to have shortened (52" flange to flange) and the axles cut and respined, but the extra width of the van's stock axles had plenty of extra shaft material to do this.
Hope this answers your questions, sorry I can't help more....

Now I have a QUESTION? How do you set up a Luv to continue in a straight line when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. Mine wants to go SIDEWAYS when I shift it under full throttle!!, the rear end wants to come around to the right, almost like hitting a wet spot or ice on the highway. It is that severe of a sideways thrust! Any ideas/suggestions welcome because I have almost lost control a couple of times!
PS: I'm using 3:55-60 X 15 tires on 8" wide wheels. (3 1/2 backspacing)
The tires spin almost all the way to 6K rpms, and when I shift they light up again, but get enough traction in 2nd to cause the above problem. My gear ratio is 3:50-1 with a built Turbo 350 trans

Thanks

dp scjconv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:53 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Sounds like you need a locker in the rear...or the one you have is broke. If not preload the suspension on the left side... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:50 pm 
LUVTruck.com Guru

We run and start on mudd and we have the same problem about jumping sideway's to the right and with 4 wheel it is a wild ride when your trying to go 200ft in waist deep mudd in about 4 second's because you have about 20ft of soft before the soup start's and you want to get on top of it as quick as you can. Engine rotation on launch front left tire comes up and rear right side goes down, with posi trac in the rear you have to stiffen the right rear too keep the left front down and make the launch as level as possible in the rear it will take alot of ajusting and tuning your suspension and if you think it's bad on pavement try it on a muddy slope heading into a pit with 38" cut bogger's it's a stress reliever. Thank's about the info on the 9" I got a 12 bolt corp in the rear and with the new motor coming I wanted to change everything over to the Luv and all tires and wheel's I have are on the 5x5.5 lug pattern and the 9" would be strong enough to handle the 6000 stall. Not worried about tucking the tires because they so big, I can get a truck rear end with no problem but they are real wide.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You can put a heavier rate spring/tighten the torsion bar on the passenger side and it will usually help...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:47 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks for all the suggestions!! They all sound like good ideas, especially tightening up the rs torsion bar and springs.
dusty scjconv

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

You don't need to buy perches. You can trim off the stock luvs and resuse them.
Be sure to check the rear end for square with the front spring mounts and that the spring mounts are square with the chassis. Also the distance from center of spring to center of spring. Measure both front and rear then check at axle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:23 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Good ideas Rob, Remember measure twice and cut once!

Also I didn't mention how important it is not to "overheat" the welds and possibly warp the axle, Wet rags around the axle next to the welds will help keep this from happening too.

dusty scjconv

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:42 am 
Addicted to LUV

A GM 12 bolt can handle quite a bit of HP. I would us C clip eliminators. They would handle a 454 450 HP engine, or anything else the factory put in front of them. If you have a 12 bolt that will fit with out mods or has been modified already... I would stay wait it till you need something bigger. We used Pontiac and Olds rearends before the 9" Ford.

Not to say a 9" is not a great way to go. They have 2 different size axle bearings(outside) the bigger ones are the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:10 am 
Addicted to LUV

now I have a QUESTION? How do you set up a Luv to continue in a straight line when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. Mine wants to go SIDEWAYS when I shift it under full throttle!!, the rear end wants to come around to the right, almost like hitting a wet spot or ice on the highway. It is that severe of a sideways thrust! Any ideas/suggestions welcome because I have almost lost control a couple of times!
PS: I'm using 3:55-60 X 15 tires on 8" wide wheels. (3 1/2 backspacing)
The tires spin almost all the way to 6K rpms, and when I shift they light up again, but get enough traction in 2nd to cause the above problem. My gear ratio is 3:50-1 with a built Turbo 350 trans

Thanks

dp scjconv[/quote]

Tire compound and torsion pre load with snubber adjustment if slappers are used . I had the identical set up and it would haze the tires when pampered in 1st and the rearend would rotate to the pointing to like in between 4 and 5 o'clock . Upon second shift it would want to come on around . Drag radials helped alot , but take away the smokey burn outs . A Caltarcs type suspension works increadibly well . On a drag radial and slappers it would spin maybe 6 to 7 revelotions as it was moving and hook then allow you to shift under full throttle to 2nd . i have still had it move around if the tire pressures were off .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:40 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Thanks to all of you who responded to my question! I am going to incorporate a lot of these, the pre-load, drivers movements, tire pressure, and am installing some traction masters to prevent rear end rotation. Hope I can help you sometime.

dusty scjconv

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:41 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Million ways to fix the problems because there are a million parameters.....Just remember drifting to one side during launch or spinning....the side your drifting to is "biting" harder...make adjustments to even the "bite" out..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:21 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Save yourselfs all the trouble and save a 1000 bucks then just order the S10 unit from strange. it was a giant headache relief for me. cause in the end, after all of the foot wrk and special machining and custom axles bla bla... its easier to just buy it premade and roughly cost only slightly more.

A.j.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:27 pm 

dr_frankenstein56 wrote:
Save yourselfs all the trouble and save a 1000 bucks then just order the S10 unit from strange. it was a giant headache relief for me. cause in the end, after all of the foot wrk and special machining and custom axles bla bla... its easier to just buy it premade and roughly cost only slightly more.

A.j.

What year s10 ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next