LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 am 
Addicted to LUV

got any pics of your PS setup?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:18 am 

Actually I should be able to get some really good pics - just got home from pulling the engine out - not enough power. I can see the steering column and crossmember modifications really well, I'll try to get some before it goes back together. May be a week or so - don't give up, it's play time here. Don

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:27 pm 

Hey - I got some pretty clear pics of the install, with and without the engine in the truck. Only ??? is how do I enter them here? Not really 'puter literate, so help me out and I'll write a detail of what I did to get power rack/pinion quick ratio steering in my 2wd luv and pictures to go with it. How big a file can I put on here? should they be several separate files or 1 large one?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:34 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Try this: viewtopic.php?t=7593

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:38 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

this would also work on a 73??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm 

hi!!! i need pics for mmy conversion... i have a power steering of chevy luv 93....but i need install :ebiggrin

bye!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:16 am 
Addicted to LUV

I think your 93 Chevy Luv might be a S-10 variation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:30 pm 

PapaG wrote:

no, no is a variation, is a diferent pick up. other line of pick up isuzu( also isuzu rodeo, frontera, etc...this line)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Oh I didn't know. I think some places they sell the S10 as a Luv... I don't remember where. A new PUP :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:26 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

rinox wrote:
PapaG wrote:

no, no is a variation, is a diferent pick up. other line of pick up isuzu( also isuzu rodeo, frontera, etc...this line)

So what we got as a 93 Rodeo in Australia is a Luv in Chile???

I have one of them here (95) and it looks to be the same as a Trooper power steering box.

I am fairly sure that the pics you are waiting on will not help you as it is done with different parts.

Bob.

Chasing parts for Isuzu Impulse.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 pm 

hope these can be viewed!! email me for any ???S Don
Hopefully this will bring up my album there?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:01 pm 

Whoops!! complete image of the toy, not just a link.
Try this for pics.
http://s490.photobucket.com/albums/rr26 ... _my_albums

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:09 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

nice pics, nice link.

Just one question,

Your driving it like that but whats up with the Auto trans????

Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:54 pm 

Well......No clutch linkage, no shifter location issues, AND it was like that when I bought it. BUT, now it has a 3500 stall convertor and stage 3 shift kit and I don't get leg cramps from the clutch pedal. It launches pretty hard with the linelock but gets sideways every time - gets a little western!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:28 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

Blah

To do motorkana type stuff you need a clutch pedal and a gear stick. Helps with car ballance and stuff.
You should give it a try.

Or is it built for straight line work???

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:43 pm 

Well...... Both actually. Just got home from our Labor Day event and out of 31 vehicles I got 5th fastest time, behind Subaru WRX Sti's and 'Vettes. I think it does rather well the way it is and there isn't room for clutch linkage, although it would help with the weight issue if I used a lightweight flywheel. In race trim it scales at 2,885 pounds with nearly 65% on the front. Oh well, it's fun and fairly inexpensive so far. Don

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:40 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Very nice. !!! Likes it would be fun. I used to run a DSP car....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

You don't need clutch linkage just go to a hyd. clutch setup.The setup in my truck uses a Wilwood master and slave that is a pull style and has plenty of room as well as light pedal pressure.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:24 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Gee I love this site, just as I love my two LUVs, a 78 and a 81 formerly diesel powered, now sbc.
Since I converted the 78 to p/s a couple of years ago, and have converted the pump and lines on the 81 I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions.
First I have found a lot of Isuzu Troopers with the square headlights in wrecking yards, but as someone mentioned the pitman arms are different, so I found a machine shop locally here is So Cal that machined my old pitman arm to fit the newer steering box. And I used the old Trooper connection by using two universal u-joints.
The pumps are standard sbc and I had the lines made locally also, very reasonably too I might add.
Be glad to help if someone wants pictures. If you need to have your old pitman arm machined to fit the newer box, I can get it done for you for a flat hundred dollars including shipping. But I will need your old pitman arm, the one with two tierod end holes in order to do this.
Hope this helps, by the way if anyone wants to convert their 81-81 LUVs to a sbc I can provide pictures and you can make the motor mounts in your own garage, it is that easy!
Much easier than the earlier models.

contact me at pinkertondusty@aol.com or on this site anytime, I'm retired and just play around with custom modifications in my garage.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Just a little more information on the Chevy P/S pump and the Isuzu steering box. They are very compatible, no problems.
One thing I have discovered is that it is getting harder and harder to find the round headlight Tropers, but the later Trooper Power steeting boxes can be used! All that is neccessary to use them is to have your old pitman arm re-machined a little bit larger so it will fit over the later Square Headlight Trooper steering box output shaft. There is a shop here in Riverside, CA that can re-machine your old pitman arm to fit the newer boxes for a flat $100. Considering the difficulty in doing this, I feel that is a bargain. It will be neccessary to ship both the old pitman arm and the one off the newer box so the machine shop can match them correctly, but it can be done in one day, excluding shipping time.
One problem that I've had with the pressure line is that the fitting going into the steering box is a 3/8"s flare fitting but the threads in the steering box are too deep for the flare to seal correctly. So I bought some copper washers that fit into the steering box threaded hole and by inserting one of these in the bottom and then screwing the 3/8" fitting in I had plenty of room to tighten up the hose fitting correctly. Kind of like a sealing washer I guess.
The return line is easily purchased at a parts house, it is a 3/8" rubber line and slips onto the chevy power steering box and a 3/38" "nipple" fitting screwed into the steering box.
I have made a simple chevy power steering pump mount out of a piece of e/8" thick aluminum plate about 3" by 6". It bolts to the front of the head and has a elongated slot to allow adjustment of the drive belt. I use the power steering pumps off of 1975-76 Chevy pickups, these are easily fitted to the homemade mounting plates and hooks up easily to the steering box. And they cost about $75. (rebuilt) at Auto Zone and Kragens. This is a complete pump with reservoir plus a $7.00 core if you don't have anything to turn in. No pulley though.
I will be taking pictures tomorrow of one of these pitman arms that has been machined to fit the newer box and will try to post them here asap. I have the pictures now but am having trouble in getting them to transfer to this site. I can insert them in e-mails, but so far haven't been successfull in posting them here.
I also have some excellent motor mount pictures if any one is interested. Please send me your e-mail address and I can send them to you.
Maybe I can send them to Ben and he can insert them?? I have his e-mail address.
I sure do appreciate all of the information that each of you post here, it has saved me hundreds of dollars and un-countable hours of research. Thank you all so much!!
dusty-scjconv

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next