LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 am 

Hi everyone, i have had some dramas with my front drum brakes on my chev luv 1980 diesel and 2 qualified mechanics cant get their heads around it and this has cost my $500 so far and the brakes are no better (i bought 4 new front wheel cylinders) and paid a few hundred in labour. So I am thinking if there is another vehicle with a similar front end (apart from the luvtruck) in Australia that can go straight onto my ute then that would do unless i stmble accross another luvtruck being wrecked...or are there conversion kits available?

Any help would be great and any Aussies around the place I would LUV to establish contact with you and put heads together and figure out any problems that may arise...i would also like to stick a holden vs engine with auto in my LUV in future...

cheers shaggs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:36 am 
Australian LUV Guru

Hmmm a 1980 Luv with drum brakes :? , you've got a rare 1. Stub axels, rotors , calipers and master cylinders out of a 81 Rodeo will bolt into your Luv. Check out this link viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15927.

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 am 

hi mate thanks for the link and now i will try to find a wrecked rodeo and also the mechanic said that the adjusters on the brake linig on the back needed replaceing and he had troubles finding these and said i had to go to some one who could customise the parts as they are no longer available...any suggestions and or tips would be great...i am also trying to get my hands on a chev luv manual and the 1981-1983 car maual (as i think they are the kb series) and hopefully many parts are interchangable and also you siad a trooper brake setup slots right in (whats trooper -toyota?) then maybe i can look for one of these and also mine is not 4x4 so would there be much problems with this or just slot em on and drive (although I probably will never convert to 4x4) plus would the Road transport people have any dramas with this modifycation? Sorry for all the questions but I feel so lost and keep hitting brick walls everywhere i look in brisbane here.

cheers
shaggs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:56 am 
Addicted to LUV

shaggs got with rodeobob as he can convert our vehicle models to your aussie equivilants and can probably give you some ideas of what swaps over

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:29 am 
Australian LUV Guru

Holden Jackaroos are called Troopers in the U.S. Heres a list of what you need to convert your Luv from drum to disc.
1 Stub axels from a 2wd Holden Rodeo 81-84
2 Hub & Rotor from ' as above '
3 Brake calipers from ' as above '
4 Master cylinder from ' as above '
5 Flexible brake lines from as above ,

Chevy Luv Manual Haynes Part Number 24050 Available From Repco

LUVTRKR wrote:
It does have a license plate so technically it is a street truck, that sets off car alarms and makes kids cry. lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:33 am 

Hi Mate, thankyou very much for your time and insight into this as I brought this rig not knowing much about it and have been steadily finding out more about it and was going to ofload it ASAP but since purchase I have spent $3500 on it and will probably struggle to get my money back so may as well keep it and do it up. I tried to post a photo of my LUV but was rejected due to the file being to big. I rang rare spares today and requested new self adjusters got a very sturn "no" so that scares me that none may not be available any more for my drum brakes but I will keep searching until i get a rodeoand convert to disk. I seen a 84 model rodeo on ebay (NSW) and follow this link if interested: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/holden-rodeo-ute ... dZViewItem
Also earlier today I seen another old rodeo but it was in victoria and it is not longer up for grabs (bush basher) which would have been perfect fo me of other LUV truckers wanting that conversion to disk in the front end...

anyway gotta go and heaps of respect for reading my posts and responding and when i figure out how to send a pic of my LUV i will load it up. Also I seen some awsome LUV truck on you tube and really stimulates the mind what one can do although i will not be lining up on the quarter mile with a old dielsel engine in it ...lol

cheers and have a great easter!

shaggs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:36 pm 

Also the other alternative is to buy new self adjusters as that is what is stopping my rig from being safer...any tips on who to see regarding new ones? I have tried many wreckers in brisbane and noone has anything.

cheers
shaggs

OzLuvTrucker wrote:
Holden Jackaroos are called Troopers in the U.S. Heres a list of what you need to convert your Luv from drum to disc.
1 Stub axels from a 2wd Holden Rodeo 81-84
2 Hub & Rotor from ' as above '
3 Brake calipers from ' as above '
4 Master cylinder from ' as above '
5 Flexible brake lines from as above ,

Chevy Luv Manual Haynes Part Number 24050 Available From Repco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:47 pm 
Australian LUV Guru

Ditch the drums, convert to disc. You'll appreciate the increased stopping power once its done, you'll be amazed at how bad drum brakes are.

LUVTRKR wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:03 pm 

Is it ok to keep drum on the rear?
cheers
shaggs
OzLuvTrucker wrote:
Ditch the drums, convert to disc. You'll appreciate the increased stopping power once its done, you'll be amazed at how bad drum brakes are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

OzLuvTrucker wrote:

How true!!! I had drums on the front of my Luv drag truck until last year when I switched it over to disc. What a big difference.

Sometimes too much to drink isn't enough!!
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
http://www.wildluvracing.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:00 pm 

hi everyone, i just found a isuzu kbd 40 fwd with disk front setup and I was wondering wether this would be ok to use for my kbd20 2wd? is it possible to use these even though my car is 2wd and will there be any legal issues from the main roads transport people?

cheers
shaggs

Attachments:
SL370191.JPG
SL370191.JPG [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 7301 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:17 am 
Australian LUV Guru

The only parts off the 4x4 you can use is the brake calipers, discs(not the hub) and the master cylinder. The 4x4 use a different stub axel than the 2wd.

Where did you find the 4x4? im in desperate need of a drivers (right hand side) window, will pay Cash On Delivery thru Australia Post if you can help.

LUVTRKR wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:37 am 

the car had no doors but you can try em on 07 32711255 (self serve auto parts) near wacol in brisbane (http://www.selfserveautoparts.com.au).

cheers mate and thankyou for your insights again

OzLuvTrucker wrote:
The only parts off the 4x4 you can use is the brake calipers, discs(not the hub) and the master cylinder. The 4x4 use a different stub axel than the 2wd.

Where did you find the 4x4? im in desperate need of a drivers (right hand side) window, will pay Cash On Delivery thru Australia Post if you can help.

cheers shaggs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:30 pm 

OzLuvTrucker wrote:

Hi there ozluvtrucker, in my pursuit for disk brakes i have made several enquires regarding the window you require and I have some good news and that is there is a right hand side window available for your LUV (1980 isuzu kb) and it would cost $93 odd dollars and they can frieght it to you (for additioanl cost) but are concerned about it being broken in transit. The wreckers i went through here in brisbane is in Sandgate (sandgate wreckers) web: http://www.sandgatewreckers.com.au/ and phone: (07) 3269 0999. I hope this helps and if there is anything i can do from this end to assist you in the process of getting this item please let me know and i will try my best to help. my mobile is 0439922030 if you need to talk. i got my disks, hub, rotor and calipers which are attached below for $93 a side.

cheers
shaggs

Attachments:
SL370341.JPG
SL370341.JPG [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 7296 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm 

Hi everyone who assisted me in providing information and contributed to my conversion (thankyou so much esp. ozluvtrucker and roadshow bob!). To recap on what i went through: i spent over $500 (parts - 4wheel cylinders and labour) on the drum brakes to be informed (by 2 mechanics) about some issue with the adjusters not working and that you could no longer get em!

So this really pissed me off and so i went down the road of doing a backyard conversion to offset some of the labour costs associated with a qualified mechanic doing the work. The disks cost me $93 a side (they gave me 2 RH side calipers of a 1981 rodeo). the wreckers they had to order em from interstate and then ordered another left one and it was off a 4wd not a 2wd which is what i have, so eventually i got the right LH one).

Then I had to buy 2 new brake lines ($110). I also learnt a lot about how to break ball joints and tie rod ends and I tried the 2 hammer technique to no avail (plus you gotta be careful you dont hit the thread or bend it of then you will be in for some fun...! So i cant emphasize enough to get a PITMAN arm (Kinchrome does one) as this will save you so much time and frustration. I have an assortment of different balljoint pullers and it was trial and error.

Also in relation to the boots (grease filled platic type seals which lubricate the joints) and if you use a hammer to break ball joints you run the risk of piercing them (which is what i did and tore em to pieces) then you have to chase up new ones (universal ones from repco did the trick)! I also had to upgrade my master cylinder and absolutely shreded the nut that goes into the master cylinder and tightened it up with multi grips (through shear determination and frustration)!

And suprisingly everything is sealed fine with no leaks so far. In conclusion, i am by no means a mechanic (i'm a backyard mechanic) and it I am proof it can be done, but I was sure to always to jack the car up and place stands under it and safety, safety and more saftey should be applied as I did not want to injure myself (plus i left the jack under car and placed the tyres that came off under the car as added safety).

Plus overall this conversion has cost me close to $1000 Aussie dollars and it could have been half that price so if someone can get benefit out of my misfortune/experience then great. Also the Wheel alignment cost me $155 and would have been cheaper but something to do with shims (which needed attention) as the newer cars are easier to do and cheaper ($45). I was just happy to finally get my LUV on the road and just paid him and he could have had more after all i had been through...!

The good news is my LUV is know cruizing the streets of Brisbane Australia (disk brakes are far superior that front drums!) and I got some proper LUV badges off ebay for $15.00 and put em on and am about to get a luvtruck.com sticker made up to put on the rear window. I will post pics soon of my first LUV and have a great day wherever you are in this big wide world! :ebiggrin

cheers shaggs:ebiggrin

Last edited by shaggs on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:39 pm 
Assimilated into LUVTruck.com

Thanks Shaggs, for sharing your information on this conversion. Isn't this board great? Glad you got it put together, looking forward to photos. 8)