LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:36 pm 
I'm just starting to sand down my rear fenders and its taking for ever!!!
I'm useing 60 grade paper on an electric sander and I'm not making a dent! That paint just eats up the sand paper. Dose anyone know a better way? Can you use chemical paint removers on fiberglass? Any help would be great. I spent 4 hours on one fender and I'm not even half done!!! 8O

Post subject: sand blaster
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:10 pm 
hey man i dont personally have fiberglass to sand but i have rust on my bed and if i plan to keep it im probly gonna just get a sand blaster to get it all off, now i dont know if it will be too much for fiberglass or not but hey its worth a shot right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:42 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

are your fenders color impregnated? i have seen some that were color impregnated at the factory. if they are you won`t be able to sand it out because it`s part of the fiberglass. of coarse if you painted them yourself you know that`s not the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:20 pm 

Like racelife said, your color could be part of the fender itself. Most fiberglass parts have whats called a gelcoat. This in simplified terms is pigment(paint or something) mixed with the resin to provide a strong colorful outer shell.
If you have gelcoat, it may take you a long time to remover the color, but at the same time you will be destroying some of the part's structure.
Why do you want to remove all the color for? Why not just a real good sanding, and start primering from there?
Phil