LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 8:47 pm 

Hello to you all,
I was only mildly relieved to find I wasn't the only one with alt light gremlins on my 77 stepside. I had literlally pulled it out of a weed patch and had it hauled home to begin my oddesy. It had been sitting for 4 yrs and was the overflow for the garbage cans. Anyway, after a new diehard, checking the alt output I had the same alt light nightmare. At the time it had a solid state regulator. Most parts stores tried to sell me one with only 5 spade connectors. I finally found a 6 spade connector old style one (points) and gave it a go. It barely went. Two shops couldn't determine what was up either. Then I found out , according to the Hayes, that it was adjustable. Popped the cover off and guess what? It wasn't adjustable! In fact you can't find an adjustable alt for our babies anymore. After convincing the counter guy that he sold my not only the wrong part but a defective one at that, he agreed to swap it out and try another one. It works semi Ok if not too many accessories are on along with the lights. It does regulate to a slight degree although intermittenly.Long story short: if you are having our favorite problem, a couple of maybe type solutions: A-most replacement parts today are crap anyway so try another one and maybe you will get one that works or at least a little better. B-find an NOS regulator. C- try installing a ground wire like our buddy on this page suggested.
I have two questions. Where would the ground wire be attacted(like to what?) under the dash, and---
Is there really a condenser supposed to be installed in the extra little lead off the regulator? And if so, does any body know the part number or specs?
One hopefull tip- if you are going to replace tie rod ends, order the moog tie rod assembly. You get both the inner and outer end plus they are assembled on a new tie rod and the $ premium is almost the same as just two seperatly purchaed ends.
Thanks and good luck with your Luv projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:54 am 
Addicted to LUV

I think the regulator issue has been around for a VERY long time. I remember my dad arguing with a guy at the auto parts store one time when I was a kid. The guy behind the counter had sold him the wrong one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:13 am 
Addicted to LUV

i had to replace mine a couple of months ago. mines also ajustable. i just turned it up a bit with my headlights on,fog lights.2000 watts from the stereo.and neon lights. i had to go to the junkyard for mine