LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Front ends?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:48 pm 
Does anyone know if there is any swaps for the front? I mean like the A-arms and stuff like that? I was just wondering cause I have a suspension set up in mind but of course the place that has the set up I would like doest make a set up for the LUV but of course they do from 82-03 S-10 front and rear ends so I was wondering if anyone knows of any straight swaps for the front....... I mean everyone pretty much knows what hey have in mind for the rear but I would like to keep with the front end I have cause I really dont have the cash to do a Mustang IFS or any other IFS for that matter. I know this is a little long winded but I want to make sure that I am making myself fairly clear. lol anyway If anyone knows anything I would love to hear from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:18 am 
Addicted to LUV

I already posed that question about the S10 swap and RATNLUV let me know it wouldn't work.
d'oh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:08 am 
lives at LUVTruck.com

The problem you get into is most lower A-arms use 2 mounting locations and the Luv uses 1 and a strut rod. With time you could make bracket and use any A arms from any vehicle,but you get into the problem of keeping the geometry correct. The Luv uses ball joints with both studs pointing down,very few other vehicle's do this.This rules out just swapping spindles.
Also if you look at the mounting on the top A frame it is real narrow on the bolts and it would possibly have to be moved or at least modified.

The mustang ll was a good choice because it is a contained unit. One crossmember with everything,A-arms,Rack&Pinion etc. This left little room for error in me putting it in and getting it loacted correctly. Being real close on the width helped also. I was lucky and found one still in a car and got it for 100.00 and I cut it out. Pinto is the same thing if you could find one.

I have also heard of a Dodge front end some people are using but I can't think of it and width may be a concern.

I do remember some one asking about sub frame as in cutting off at the firewall and adapting a S-10 front frame section on.I would not do this becasuse they are tighter with a V-8 thanthe LUV. But you may look into cutting just the crossmember containing the suspension out and installing that like you do with a mustangll. This is just a idea and should be measured and checked before you cut your frame. Also keep in mind you still have to put a steering box,center link and idler arm somewhere.