LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: rollbar/cage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:46 pm 
I found today that Chris Alstons chassis works offers a rollbars/cages for 76-80 Luvs. Has anybody used these in their trucks, and would you recommend it or do you know of anybody else who offers these prebent. Thanks Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 5:49 am 
jegs offers them in 4,8,12 point versions.
http://www.jegs.com
or 1-800-345-4545
I purchased mine from them a couple of weeks ago.
haven't installed yet though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 12:57 pm 

For those of you that have installed a roll cage in your LUV:

Which one would you recommend? (4, 8 or 10 point)

What is involved in installing them?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:28 pm 
Feel the Steel

Not sure about what style, what I can tell you though is, I put a chrome show bar in mine. The problem I had was, to mount it to the floor, the cab mounts were right where it bolted to the floor. Not sure if a roll cage would mount in the same spot. If you know what the frame mount look like underneath, I had to drill through the top layer of it also to bolt down the bar, so technically, my bar is bolted to the frame. Wasn't to hard, just a little fustrating as I wasn't expecting to have to do that.
My buddy put a 4 point cage in his toyota and what a pain in the butt it was to get in and out of!!

RIP R.J.B.

Post subject: roll bar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:02 am 
My first question would be wat you are doing with the truck. I build drag cars on the side. i get my roll cages for s & w race cars and I haven't had a problems at all with them. I have just recently put a 10 point roll cage in my 72 luv that I am building for my self. not much modifications were needed. except I try to put my roll cages has high up as I can get them and i had to cut two holes in the cab above the back window for the two bars that go to the back fram rails, no biggie though. if have more questions about this just email me. (davisck2@earthlink.net

thanks
chad

argusknows wrote:
For those of you that have installed a roll cage in your LUV:

Which one would you recommend? (4, 8 or 10 point)

What is involved in installing them?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:33 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I guess I'm going to have to put one in my truck. I was avoiding it because of the bars that have to run out of the back of the cab.

Tilted, your interior is saweet. The rollbar looks clean too. Did you have someone do the interior for you? Any tips? What seats are those?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:14 pm 
just rolling through some old stuff, and ill throw down my idea, and then let yall know how it works out later.

I am going to rent an electrical conduit bender so i can fab all my parts. ill do the cab up whatever seems the best, but for the bars out of the cab into the bed I will exit under the window below the bed line, and run them through the bed to the frame. Remember i have a tilt bed, so I need to leave some meat around the top of the bed for structural reasons. these two bars will also serve as a mounting means for my new aluminum fuel cell. the two bars will tie into an "X" that will be behind the seats supporting the cab rollbars.

ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:52 pm 
If you plan on racing it i dont think you'll pass tech. I'd check the rules before fabricating. Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:57 pm 
this space for rent

as long as you build it out of a good material and make it well you should be able to pass inspection. But if you need to be able to get good welds you could bring it to my shop and use the mig welder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:13 am 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

in order for it to past tech the rear kick down bars have to be within 5" of the top cross bar portion of the main hoop.as far as welding mig or tig is only accepted non pourus slagless welds according to the book.but my book is also 2 yrs old so somethings may have changed. later :twisted:

Post subject: specs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:14 am 
Doesn'tthe top hoop also have to be 2" above the driver head? Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:54 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

the hoop has to be 3" above the helmet in normal driving position.the front of the main hoop must be behind the drivers helmet. cage must have a cross bar to support the seat back and can be no lower than4" below and not above the drivers shoulders. later :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:16 pm 
MEPR wrote:
as long as you build it out of a good material and make it well you should be able to pass inspection. But if you need to be able to get good welds you could bring it to my shop and use the mig welder.

you need to use ERW or DOM mild steel tubing , it has to have a minimium wall thickness of .118" on the outside of the bend , most chassis shops use .134" wall tubing with a outside dia of 1.75" for rollbars and 1.625" for rollcages , also it must be welded to the factory frame if your truck has one.

and all welds must be either MIG welded or TIG welded , stick welding is not accepted by NHRA/IHRA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 5:36 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

well it looks like i will have to put a cage in mine. the officals yelled at me this weekend for not having one . i`m just barely getting into the 11s and they told me to put the breaks on or your out. so let me know if you guys have found anything thats real nice and of coarse the price. i will be looking at 8 points mainly maybe 10 point just depends on how pricey they are. later :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 7:10 pm 
I have an 8-point from S&W race cars in my other truck and have been happy with it. The angles were pre-cut and required minimal grinding. I plan on buying from them for my Luv unless I can find someone around here that will bend one cheaper, which is doubtful. Just my 2 cents. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 7:13 am 
I have a S & W cage in mine and I have question. the main hoop only attached to the floor pan and the strut braces miss the main frame. Has anyone installed one that had this problem? I have not put in the short braces yet. I would think that the cage would need to connect with the frame in the cab somewhere. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:01 am 
Yeah, I know what your saying. I had the same issue on my truck, some of the bars welded to the floorpan, and the rear bars we were able to weld to the frame. The main hoop does miss the frame, so what do you do? All I know is it passes tech at the tracks I race at and hopefully will save my ass if I ever need it to. 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:39 am 
Mine is getting pretty fast and it does pass tech. But the common sense in me is telling me to splice some steel over to the braces, just in case I ever do "need" the cage. It did not know if anyone else had done anything to make it strong. It only attaches to the frame on the back bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:03 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

has anyone tried the cage offered by jegs yet. if so how was the fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 6:06 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have the cage from jegs....it fits inside the cab, but I am not at the stage of mounting/welding it yet.