LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: frame mods
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 4:18 am 
LUVTruck.com Guru

Has anybody done any mods to the frame after a V8 swap? I have a 75 with a 350 and I was going to beef up the front crossmember, just wondering if anybody else has done this or something like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 12:52 pm 
Hey we should talk Bob! I have a 75 with a 350/350 setup and it does fine. I wouldn't see any need to beef the frame up, unless you're doing the 4x4 thing.. I did notch the first crossmember on mine to clear the lower pully to run the long water pump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 5:43 pm 
da LUV masta

I guess I should have replied under my own ID, oops, you know us newbies!

Hey we should talk Bob! I have a 75 with a 350/350 setup and it does fine. I wouldn't see any need to beef the frame up, unless you're doing the 4x4 thing.. I did notch the first crossmember on mine to clear the lower pully to run the long water pump.

---------------------------------------------
63 Nova
74 Camaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:32 am 
Addicted to LUV

I haven't.......yet.......
I will be channeling the rear frame for 10" tires and r&r rear crossmember for a fuel cell..... the 10" tires will probably be a year away, because I am planning on installing the engine and running it for a while then tearing it apart again for paint and 9" rear w/ 10" tires.
I will be watching this topic to see if anyone else has any input.
thanks!

Post subject: Frame mods
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:46 pm 
I have done the rear frame rails and still have some pictures ,currently I have a big block luv under construction. it is up and drivable I used a Mustang II front end so I could get rid of the torsion bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:10 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Cool!

Pictures and details would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:25 am 
I have some pics but I dont have a scanner yet .I will try and get my neighbor to scan them.This is not a Drag truck.I wanted something for the street.I have done the rear rails before on a different Luv and still have the pics ,this one I put the Mustang II front end in and it drive great.I have already had the font end aligned.With the torsion bars gone I removed the transmission crossmember they hooked into completely and made a new trans.crossmember so that the trans.can now be removed without the engine being pulled.

Post subject: frame rails
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 5:30 am 
above post is me again I haven't figured this posting stuff out yet Menber RATNLUV but everytime I put thet in user box it says name taken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:08 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Hey no problem. If you've never used a board like this, it can be confusing at times. There is lot's of info in the FAQ section at the top of the page. Try that first. If your still having any trouble at all after that, send me an email or a Personal Message and I'll help you out.

I still use the FAQ myself on occasion to look up the format for posting pictures, links, and font changes in my posts. So don't think your the only one. :D

Post subject: Re: frame rails
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 3:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

ChevyRatNLuv wrote:
above post is me again I haven't figured this posting stuff out yet Menber RATNLUV but everytime I put thet in user box it says name taken

It sounds like you just need to log in with your username and password. Try the "login" link at the top of the page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:02 am 
Addicted to LUV

I am going to go see ratnluv's LUV today after work.
I will take some pictures of it and post them if it is ok with him.
I cant wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:17 am 
Quote:
With the torsion bars gone I removed the transmission crossmember they hooked into completely and made a new trans.crossmember so that the trans.can now be removed without the engine being pulled.

I thought i was going to have to pull the motor to get my tranny out too.....BUT.......I put a jack under the tranny pan (with a block of wood to spread the loading of course) and simply took the tranny mount loose and then jacked the tranny up a half inch...........I then took the tailshaft off the tranny and slid it out......then I let the output shaft rest on the crossmember and the motor and tranny leaned back making it a snap to get to the tranny bolts.......then I took out all the bolts but the bottom 2 and lifted the tranny up again.......took out the last 2 bolts and lowered the tranny jack.......the front of the tranny tilts down(catch the converter!!!!!) and out it comes sliding past the motor just as sweet as you please.....

hope that helps......

rich jerozal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:50 am 
check out my comments in the 'dropped spindles' topic, posted 05 Nov 2002.
Something different and a lot cheaper than the Mustang II front. :lol:

I'm installing a 304 Injected V8 (around 220kw) with a 4 speed automatic. I still have to cut out the trany cross member and replace it with a custom chassis tube simmilar to what they do in hotrods, because the engine and transmission will sit heaps lower than standard. I plan on putting an independant Jaguar style rear end in and have the front and rear running on fully adjustable air bags to get a decent ride height when cruising and flick a switch to scrape the rails at shows. 8)

"With a mig welder plus a slide hammer and a bit of f.....'n around you can achieve anything" :D

Post subject: Re: Frame mods
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:27 am 
ChevyRatNLuv wrote:
I have done the rear frame rails and still have some pictures ,currently I have a big block luv under construction. it is up and drivable I used a Mustang II front end so I could get rid of the torsion bars.
ihave had 73 luv for ten years it has stock firewall and frame coil overs and a 706 ci motor it runs 470s you dont need a mustang front end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:16 am 

I've got mine hacked to he11. It has a solid axle 4X4 conversion with a V8. All the torsion bar stuff is cut out and off. Notched & reinforced the very front crossmember for access to fan belts. (long water pump W/power steering) Cut off front spring perches and replaced them with Chev 1/2 ton, also reversed front springs (shackles in back). Notched & reinforced trans crossmember for front driveshaft clearance.