LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:07 am 
Addicted to LUV

I have to order springs for the front coil overs.
I have heard of someone using a 450lb spring and someone else used a 350lb spring.
which is good for what?
opinions?
those of you who have them are you satisfied with the poundage that you have used? heh heh.....I said poundage......

thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

anyone.......anyone........bueller........

Post subject: coil overs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:52 pm 
i would give the company Aldan shocks a call there in so cal the # is 310/843/7478 ,i use there coilover in the rear of my truck they are very helpful and they have a good product [and they are cheap] i paid 380$ for single adjustible with springs and the adjustments make a big difference! hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:15 am 
Addicted to LUV

Thanks 4link!
I am trying to find out the rate of spring to use because I am getting the QA1 shocks for crimmus from my parents and I need to order springs for them so I can put them on after crimmus.
I guess I will just put the 350lb springs on and if it isn't enough I will go to 450lb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:58 am 
Addicted to LUV

Let us know which you think are better. I'm thinking of going coil over one day, and I only want to do it once. :P

Post subject: springs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:22 pm 
i have a alum.headed small 406 in mine it sits on coilovers up front
with 400 springs. johnny from magnolia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:48 am 
Addicted to LUV

yeah drummer I will let you know.

thanks for the info Johnny from magnolia! :lol:

I might go with the 350lb. ones to start off with.......decisions decisions....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:19 pm 
I just ran across this post, and figured I'd toss in my 2cents.

I've been fooling with circle track cars for quite a few years, and have done a couple that started out as chalk lines on the floor, and I've done a good bit of studying on springs, both book learnin' and trial and error.

One thing I've learned about coil overs, as opposed to stock springs in stock location, is that where and how you mount the shocks/springs has a ton of effect on what rate you actually see at the wheel. The rate of spring that will work is directly contingent on how it's mounted- if it's half way in on the control arm, then you're seeing half the rate, but twice the travel, at the wheel. The math is pretty simple- It's the old force times distance from your fulcrum deal-- how much the coilover is angled where it's mounted also affects the rate, ideally you want it directly perpendicular (I said perpendicular, huh,huh,huh) to the load, which never happens, because the control arm it's mounted to is traveling on a radial path, so the best we can do is figure in a little extra spring rate to compensate. That's one of the reasons torsion bars are really cool- the loading of the spring is consistent all the way through the travel of the arm it's mounted on- they still use them a ton on sprint cars, except for a breif period when coil overs were being experimented with, something about response rate, but now they're all back to torsion bars. Anyhow, when you're talking about springs, keep in mind that differences in how your springs are mounted will cause a lot of variation from vehicle to vehicle. With a camero lower control arm, and a stock spring in stock location, I've run as much as 1400 lbs./in on the right front of a 3000 lb. car. A dirt late model with coil overs- about the same weight, totally different mounting situation- might run a 400lb. right front spring. Weight distribution also affects spring rate a bunch, although I'd guess that since we all have LUV pickups, that should remain pretty consistent between trucks of the same engine configuration.

Anyhow, didn't mean to write a book- It's just that there's a ton of stuff involved in figuring out what springs are the right ones. As a general rule, I like to start on the soft side, and bump up the rate in small increments until I get what I need- a car that doesn't head for the wall when I try to turn left.

AFCORACING.com has some really good stuff about springs on their site, if anybody wants to get into it a little bit more... or quite possibly I've gotten into it too much already...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 9:27 am 
Addicted to LUV

spindle thanks alot on the info.
that is the most info I could get out of anyone about spring rate. it doesn't seem like anyone else wants to let anyone know about the secrets of the circle track crowd....hehe
I will go with a small spring rate at first and see what happens.

I will check out that website and see if any of it sinks in the thing on my shoulders....hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:09 pm 
No sweat, bro... I could go on for pages...