LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:23 pm 
Alright my 75 is giving me fits right now! I got it in it this morning and pulled the switch for the headlights and nothing !!!!! but low and behold the Highs work so I unplugged the inside highs so I at least have some form of light to drive by. lol Well anyway I have chased wires all day and cant find anything the only other thing I can figure is my healight switch might be bad ! and on top of that I cant find another one. Anyone have any suggestions? or might have a a spare lol anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: headlight problem
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:32 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I had the same thing happen to my 80. It turned out to be the high low switch in the column. One of the circuts in the switch had broken. I got lucky and was able to order one from GM, to the tune of about $75. Goodluck on finding the problem.

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:44 pm 
Thanks for the idea! I would have never thought of that. I will have to check that out this weekend then. I have so many issues with electical things on this poor truck I mean I can name at least five things ! lol My main one right now is the stupid fan for the heater! I took it out and checked it and the fan itself is fine I think it's a newer fan that has been put in it and was never hooked up right so Im trying to figure it out too! Before to long I'll end up with a row of toggle switches between my seats! it will be like starting the friggin shuttle! LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:10 pm 
Welll I took the column apart yesterday and couldnt really tell if there was anything wrong I cleaned it up and reassembled it and still no low beams. :evil: So I guess I'm gonna try to run my light wires and see if I find anything wrong with them. Well other than maybe trying another actual light switch but I'm gonna try to find one of those as well. Wish me luck ! lol :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Sorry man, if you lived closer I'd swing by and trace down the problem. It's kinda hard to figure out what's going on without being able to attack it with my tester.

Since it's just the low beams I think your light switch is fine. It could be four other things:

• high/low beam switch
  • low beam fuses (not sure about your truck but mine has a separate fuse for each headlamp, low beam and high beam, 4 total)
  • both headlamps have burnt out low beams (seems unlikely but I've seen it happen, a voltage surge from your alternator could have burned both of them out)
  • bad wiring anywhere in between the high/low beam switch and the headlights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:02 pm 
Well I surely wished ya lived closer too!!! :wink: Electrical stuff is my biggest weakness when it comes to vehicles! Mainly cause I really never learned much about electrical. I know enough to get myself in trouble ! lol actually I know the very basics you kow battery voltage regulator and stuff but when it comes to troubleshooting I'm lost mainly cause I dont know how to use a tester or voltmeter I have a stupid voltage tester in my truck but it's my old roomates and I havent the slightest idea how to use it! lol Guess I shoulda payed more attention in autoshop when I was a kid. 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:04 am 
Addicted to LUV

Do you have a test light? Those are pretty easy to use. They look like a screwdriver only with a pointed tip, light inside, and a ground wire.

If you had one of those you could find out where the problem is. Just clip the ground wire on a good ground, turn the headlights on, and start checking everything from the list I mentioned above to see what has power and what doesn't.

Post subject: lights
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:27 pm 
you have two relays in the little box on the passenger side wheel well in the engine compartment by the coil one of those is a a hed light relay i had one of those go out before and a colum switch high low switch what ever but any way sounds like the colum switch to me and you can find one in a wrecking yard cheep thats what i did no problems since hope that helps

mike8cyl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:24 am 
Hey, one thing to add to your list. Before I rewired my truck with a Painless kit, my fused were giving me heck. The rounded "fork like" holder that it sits in was kinda coroded (sp?), this in turn when the connection starts to go creates a sparking, which creates heat, which melts the plastic fuse block, which loosens the fuse holders and those close to it. So.... one loose fuse can lead to some other problems.

The suggestion to buy a 12v tester, the kind you clip on to a ground and check power by the ice pick like point is a gift that will keep on giving. Invest in the Haynes manual and follow the 12 path, its really quite easy. Give yourself a while to get familiar with the schematic in relation to your truck wiring, and then your in!

My 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:06 pm 
my lights have been stuck on the high beams for a while. Me and a buddy tampered with the switch one day and after about a half an hour we got it to switch back to lows again, and after about a day they were screwed up again. I gurantee it's the switch and i'd recommend replacing it, I will sometime soon, I just don't drive at night all the much so i'm in no hurry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:02 pm 
LUVTruck.com Lifer

go to the fuse box and replace all the headlamp fuses my 75 did that to me once also.

Post subject: hot head lite swich
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:08 pm 
the swich is melting the wirers? :onfire: