LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Stock axles snapping
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:54 pm 
For offroading should i get a heavy duty axle or is a stock one ok? i have a suspension lift and its an 80, but my old wrangler had that problem. than again i rolled it alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:31 am 
for a typical luv, it should work pretty good. if you need better, a good swap would be toyota axles front and rear. they have a huge aftermarket, are easy to work with, and are the right width for a luv

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:58 am 
this space for rent

well the Isuzu 10bolt axle is perty strong as long as you stick whith the 4banger. It should be able to support 33s, whith the luv the motor will be the problem not the axles as the motor can only push a 33 realy. But one thing that is better about the luv is the fact its axles are thirdmember style so if you do break and axle your tire wont leave!
As far as a swap, is you whant to stick whith isuzu parts, look under TrooperII, they have a 12bolt isuzu. Its about as strong as a dana44 and has the added benifit of discs. Should drop in perty easy, only problem i would see is that the 12bolts yoke is a bit bigger than the 10bolts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:41 pm 
actually, having a third member doesn't have anything to do with the axle popping out if you snap it. that's the difference between semi-floating and full-floating. in a semi floating axle, the axle supports the weight and load of the truck. in a full floater, there's a hub and inner/outer bearings(like a front axle on a toyota, or any other solid axle truck). the axle shaft just takes the force of the engine, and the load is supported by bearings. if you break a full floater, the wheel stays attached since there's a hub, semi floaters will spit the shaft and tire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:39 pm 

kyle, it is not semi-floating or full float that contributes to axle loss on breakage but how the axle is retained. The ford 9" is a semi floater but the axles are bearing retained and will not come out if the shaft breaks, likewise the full floater
axels are bearing retained but have the axel bolted to the hub which is retained by the bearing. Now c-clip style rear ends will lose the axel on breakage because the only thing
holding it in is the c-clip on the shaft at the axel gear.
Fitzworld