LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1980 hinge pin issues
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:38 pm 

Attachment:
File comment: 1980 Luv on a Wagoneer chassis with 33's, a Locrite, and 4.56's. It has a 5 speed and power steering, LED's in back, a crane and two winches. It's blue now, but hope to be sublime green later.
Blue FRoG May 17.jpg
Blue FRoG May 17.jpg [ 3.7 MiB | Viewed 7256 times ]
Say, does anyone know who carries hinge pin and bushing kits for a 1980 Luv?

I ordered one off eBay that was said to fit a 1978 and come to find out it won't fit mine.. are they not the same truck?

(The kit's pins and bushings are too large in diameter. I'm not keen on drilling, thus ruining, the bores)

I tried the DIY from a way old post that suggested using 1/4" grade 8 bolts with bushings from a hardware store. I did to find the 1/4" bolts are too small in diameter although the bushings could work.

But to add a sleeve to make up the bolt's OD to the hinge bore's ID would defeat the required press fit wouldn't it? (in spite of the post's use of a nyloc nut?)

Any ideas? So far I've found nothing locally or online, new or used.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:43 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Pricey, but best fix...They have done many door and hood hinges for me with excellent resul5s...

http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/services/

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:08 pm 

Thanks! I'll give a look see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:43 pm 

Hey hey,

I tried that 14" #8 bolt and Mopar bushing idea... It worked!

There was just one caveat: It also needed 1/4" to 5/16" bushings for the bores on the door halves. The bolts and small bushings were had at the local helpful hardware place.

As mentioned in that post here was a tad of grinding needed. I just lightly filed the inside faces of the door hinge halves maybe a 1/16" to clear the Mopar bushings on the body halves and that was it...

Then I barely tightened the bolts and locknuts just past wrist tight and the door opens and closes great! As for the passenger door, no one used it.. its hinges are as good as new.

As for that hinge rebuilder, I checked their website and was impressed... Then realized a buddy has a machine shop who is a lot closer.

Now back to my regular scheduled programming in getting some buttoning things up, and the body and paint done.

Oh, I dont know if it was mentioned before... but the eBay hinge pins and bushings for older GM's that say they fit Luvs, they don't.