LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm 

Hey guys, quick question just to clarify. To go to mustang 2 suspension, do you have to modify the stock luv shock towers or anything? Or do you just bolt on the mustang a arms, spindles, rotors, etc. is any fabrication needed and if so can I see some pictures and get some tips or explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am 

When I did mine, I had to remove all the stock luv front suspension. You need to weld in a new cross member, upper control arm mounts, and coil over mounts. It was just easier to cut everything out and start fresh.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:59 pm 

Hello I'm working on gathering parts to build my 78 LUV and have a line on getting a new Heidts universal Mustang ll crossmember kit (cross member and 2 two spring supports) for a $150, good deal?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:52 pm 

Check this off the parts to acquire list, Mustang ll crossmember kit, $150
Attachment:
IMG_3493.JPG
IMG_3493.JPG [ 129.02 KiB | Viewed 10384 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:37 pm 

Anyone advise on what spring to purchase on my LS 5.3 build? I'm doing the mustang ll crossmember with Helix tubular upper and lowers with the QA1 coil overs that seat in the hat tower. Should I get the 500,600 or 700 rated springs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have 450 lb springs on the front of my 67 chevelle with coil overs. The LUV is lighter and won't need as much. I would go with 350 to 400 first. Luckily, coil over springs are relatively inexpensive. Not a fan of the QA1's, BTW...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:35 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
I have 450 lb springs on the front of my 67 chevelle with coil overs. The LUV is lighter and won't need as much. I would go with 350 to 400 first. Luckily, coil over springs are relatively inexpensive. Not a fan of the QA1's, BTW...

Thanks for the advice, to be safe I'll just take it to the scale. I'm curious as to why you don't like the QA1's, have you had a negative experience with those. I can get a set with the 700 springs from a friend that bought those and barely broke them in but now has decided to go a different route on his build. They would cost me nothing $$$ wise, just a few drunken nights with him working on his project but I do that pretty much every weekend anyway, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:42 am 
Addicted to LUV

On my Outlaw car they were inconsistent. Spent a lot of time chasing adjustments until I swapped shocks. That car ran upper 6 times in the quarter. That was almost 20 years ago so they probably have made some improvements... I would try them with some lighter springs. They are better than the coil overs on my avatar truck...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 am 
Addicted to LUV

greencaravan wrote:
mytmouz wrote:

Thanks for the advice, to be safe I'll just take it to the scale. I'm curious as to why you don't like the QA1's, have you had a negative experience with those. I can get a set with the 700 springs from a friend that bought those and barely broke them in but now has decided to go a different route on his build. They would cost me nothing $$$ wise, just a few drunken nights with him working on his project but I do that pretty much every weekend anyway, lol.

If they're free you can't go wrong! the lighter coils don't cost much as was said above. Would be worth taking those home and getting 350-400lb springs. Mytmouz knows his stuff when it comes to dragging luvs you're not likely to get a better answer on spring rate without trial and error.
I have heard a lot of positive about the QA1'S in recent years so I'm thinking quality has improved since his last runs on them.

Are you going with an aluminum or iron block 5.3?

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 pm 

love4theluv wrote:
greencaravan wrote:
mytmouz wrote:

If they're free you can't go wrong! the lighter coils don't cost much as was said above. Would be worth taking those home and getting 350-400lb springs. Mytmouz knows his stuff when it comes to dragging luvs you're not likely to get a better answer on spring rate without trial and error.
I have heard a lot of positive about the QA1'S in recent years so I'm thinking quality has improved since his last runs on them.

Are you going with an aluminum or iron block 5.3?

Appreciate the advice mytmouz and love4theluv. My build is set for T minus 15 months, which is when I retire. I've been on the hunt for parts for my 78 2wd since February and have most of the major stuff, 5.3 from a 02 Silverado, 4.8 w/4L60e and the disk brake 6 lug rear end with drive shaft from a 01 Sierra, both iron blocks, 4L80e from a 2500HD, wiring harnesses and computer from 3 donors. mustang ll crossmember, B&M 4 speed ratchet shifter, Gauge set, speedway radiator w/elec.fan and a bunch of odds and ends. Since I live in Hawaii I have to try and find the heavy/big parts locally because unlike the folks living in the continental US shipping cost to the islands is cost prohibitive. The LUV is my daily driver and will continue to be when she is completed so the build is geared toward mollified touring with everyday drivability and comfort on the top of the list, although I might bend the drivability need just a tad with the desire to convert the 4L trans to TransGo's fully manual conversion, hence the B&M ratchet shifter, lol. Still have to part together a bunch of stuff, front and rear suspension, entire brake system, possible custom made wiring harness for my completed set-up (plug and play), fuel tank and lines, complete interior overhaul. The list is long but the reward will be Sweet :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:04 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Oh man.. you are going to love it. I love mine with the 4.3 and it has less oomph than the 5.3 will.
That is going to be a heavy powertrain 4l80 is a heavy beast but you will NEVER be able to hurt that combo in that truck if you're not going all out on a drag build. And even then it'd take some abuse.
Man you may be one of the few here that were smart enough to wait until retirement to build a luv

1993 Lexus SC400 my Daily
2004 Yamaha WR250F my new love in life
2016 Toyota Camry my girls ride

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 pm 
Addicted to LUV

My street LUV has a 4l80. I modified the tunnel with a 80's chevy fullsize one and have plenty of room now, the firewall is stock... Upgrade the 4l80 with the 400 style drum and it will be pretty reliable...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:42 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
My street LUV has a 4l80. I modified the tunnel with a 80's chevy fullsize one and have plenty of room now, the firewall is stock... Upgrade the 4l80 with the 400 style drum and it will be pretty reliable...

I hadn't thought of using a fullsize for the tunnel, that's a great idea, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 pm 
Addicted to LUV

If you follow the link in site news here and add the correct browser extension, you can view my build thread here for the tunnel mods...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:07 pm 

mytmouz wrote:
If you follow the link in site news here and add the correct browser extension, you can view my build thread here for the tunnel mods...

Found your thread build but i don't have the 3rd party photo hosting upgrade :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:39 am 
Addicted to LUV

Go to the links su forum at the bottom of the subforums page and look for photosuckit...

FIAA!

SFPP!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:24 am 
Addicted to LUV

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30642