LUVTruck.com

phpBBV3 Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Removing The Cab
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:50 pm 
Ok I'm sure many of you have had to remove the entire cab off of your LUV at one point or another. During the restoration and 350 conversion of my 79 4x4 I'm probably going to need to do that. So anyone have a sort of step-by-step procedure? It doesn't have to be extremely detailed, just write the basic things I'd have to remove, it would be much appreciated. Also anything that I have to watch out for, etc. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:11 am 
Thers nothing to it just 6 bolts some plugs and disconect the steering. 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:50 am 
Um... ok well I know its not too hard, but could someone be a little more detailed? Like where the bolts are, other disconnections, considerations, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:02 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

2 bolts on either side of the radiator, 1 under the drivers feet, 1 under the passengers feet, and one on either side behind the seat. Undo the steering column bolts located under the speedometer and undo the ones at the firewall, now you can disconnect the shaft from the steering box and slide towards the rear of the cab. take the floor shifter out of the transmission (I believe they are 12mm bolts). You will have to drain the radiator & disconnect the hoses and trans cooling lines if you have automatic. You will have to disconnect the clutch cable if you have stick. The master cylinder has to be diconnected at the brake lines. Now all you should have to do is make sure all your wires are labled before disconnecting so that you know where to plug them back in. Get 2 cases of beer and some strong friends and lift. If you have access to a Backhoe, hook straps to the four corners and center the lifting point where the windshield meets the roof. That should get you close to a balancing point. Don't hold me responsible if I accidently forgot to mention any part of this procedure, but this should get you where you want to be.

PS Why do you want to take the cab off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:51 am 
Thanks gordo, that'll help me out quite a bit. I wanted to take the cab off because I live in Connecticut and the winters here aren't very kind to cars. When I first got my truck and got under it, it looked like it was made out of rust. I did the best I could by taking the bed off and POR-15ing the underside but I think if I'm serious about making this truck solid I'm going to have to pull the cab off the frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:23 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Just roll it over on it's roof. It's easy to access the floor pans that way! :lol:

Post subject: Rolling
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:53 pm 
Addicted to LUV

I have mine off right now. However, I advise not to roll it onto the roof but rather just sit it up on the back of the cab. The roof won't hold the weight without denting the top in.

1980 Stepside LUV (Again)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 7:07 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

The roof thing was a joke for those of you that didn't figure it out.

By the way, I forgot to mention a few things that need to be disconnected. Make sure you disconnect the fuel lines. They are bolted to the bottom of the floor pan unlike most trucks. You also need to disconnect the e-brake cable and throttle cable.

Post subject: Roof
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

We know, but when you have four kids running around the house raising heck, destroying things, and just all around pissing you off, your brain tends to shut down down.. That's the last time I let my wife volunteer to baby sit kids for two different families and then right after they get dropped off, remember SHE had to go to a baby shower! Boy, is she gonna pay for the four hours of misery I went through.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:45 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

You gave them kids sugar didn't you?

Post subject: Sugar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:55 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Crap :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:50 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Sugar+Mountain Dew=Nitro for kids. 8O 8O I have 4 Crumb Snatchers myself....I feel your pain man. :? :? :? SHOOT THE WIFE :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .....Hold on let me rethink that.....That would leive you alone with the kids....ok shoot off her pinky toe. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Kids
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:59 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Well, thank goodness my kids are grown up and moved out. Of the ones I had to take care of, two are brother and sister of a good friend of ours, number three is my Godchild, and number four, I call the DEMON child as I swear he must have 666 on his body somewhere. Things were ok until he fell into his normal routine and started running around, pushing the others, screaming, and not listening. He is the oldest (five years old), can barley make complete sentences, drools like Niagra Falls, cusses, bullies everyone else, breaks EVERYTHING, and just can't speak below a loud scream. Without him around, we have no problems. But, put them all together and forget it. Tonight when my wife got home she asked me what happened to my F4-U1D Corsair I have in a spare bedroom. As I didn't know what she meant, I went to look at it and found the left wing destroyed. After looking at it, I saw shoe prints all over it. Guess who was the only one who wouldn't removes his shoes!! Yep good ol' 666. This is not a small airplane. It is a Byron's radio control with a wingspan of 85 inches. It was assembled and sitting on the landing gear in a room where they were told NOT to go into. I guess while I was outside picking up the garbage can, he decided to open the door and use my plane as a foot bridge. By the time I got back inside, he probably knew he did something wrong and ran back into the living room as is nothing happened. Well, it will have to wait for repairs as I have started working on my LUV again. The end result is I said nothing to him or his parents, but did say there is no more baby sitting in this house unless we are BOTH home. Enough said, time to go and start fabricating a new dash for my truck.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:11 pm 
lives at LUVTruck.com

Yep shoot her pinky toe off. I bet she don't do it again............ :twisted: :twisted: Of coarse after the long drawn out court battle :x :x to decide who gets the LUV in the Divorce, 8O 8O 8O You'll realise that too was a stupid mistake. :cry: :cry: Maybe you should just accept her appology. :wink: :wink: Then convence her you need that new 350 crate engine. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 7:32 am 
LUVTruck.com Regular

Could have been footprints on the LUV. 8O Now that would hurt.

Post subject: Foot prints
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:32 pm 
Addicted to LUV

Good point gordo. Feel MUCH better now!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:38 pm 
LUVTruck.com Regular

I still feel for your frustration with that plane though. My two boys break all kinds of stuff and when asked why, the tell me they were doing an experiment. Experimenting to to see at what point my blood will boil and dish out some punishment thats all. Is the plane repairable?

Post subject: plane
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:58 pm 
Addicted to LUV

After the way I fly it, ANYTHING is repairable. It should take about four good weekends to repair and cost about $30. No biggie. Next time the demon child comes over, I plan to invite our local priest. Exorcism anyone??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: